Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:20:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopColor scheme, general style advice?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Color scheme, general style advice?  (Read 1162 times)
Zarkonnen
Level 1

Games! Kittens! Wine!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:22:42 AM »

I'm working on an airship combat game, and while some feedback about the art style has been positive, other feedback has been less so. The major complaint is that the color palette of the game looks off. I've since fiddled with the palette, and I think it's improved, but I've reached a point where I'm too used to the graphics to really tell. So I'd love your feedback & advice both on the color palette of the game and on the general art style.

Improvements that are already planned: animations (so that the ship crew aren't all just standing upright) and a dynamic lighting system. (Shots, explosions, etc. lighting up their environment, ideally with directional light if I can get the performance to work.)

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »

I would work with pixels of all the same size with equal detail for things in the foreground (though it may seem tedious, I think it'll make it a lot better). Use the same size pixels in the background, but just give it less detail and you should be on your way!
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 12:36:00 AM »

I would work with pixels of all the same size with equal detail for things in the foreground (though it may seem tedious, I think it'll make it a lot better). Use the same size pixels in the background, but just give it less detail and you should be on your way!
^ This.

Also what your other critics perhaps might have meant is that the entire palette of the ship is very strong and sometimes it's hard to grasp what exactly I'm looking at. A simple fix to it would be to tone down less important things (like, desaturate them a little for example or darken it to match the background bricks).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic