Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:53:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCasmage: A cooperative boss-fighting platformer
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: Casmage: A cooperative boss-fighting platformer  (Read 32198 times)
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2016, 05:42:25 PM »

Great to know your progress Hand Thumbs Up Right

But I have to admit that I'm waiting for new characters xD Although creating the enemies seems a good way to define the character design.

You do? Well that's good to know actually, thanks! The thing is that I need to make both bosses and characters, and I had to pick one of them so I decided to go for another boss to help me get the point of the game across more easily.

If I could I would work on both characters and bosses at the same time but since I'm very limited timewise I have to put on hold some things to work on others =/

But fear not! The new characters will come soon and they will be amazing :D

Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2016, 05:24:05 PM »

Alright, the water shader is done (actually i have to deal with some draw order issues, but thats not so problematic) And this is how it looks:

The colored borders were important because they will help me add that nice extra touch to its surface.

Now the next thing will be adding particles to compliment the sprites that will have this shader on them.
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2016, 07:03:11 PM »

Last update on the shader, it ended up looking like this:

I'm now done with shader stuff and am going straight to making the new boss Grin. Yaaay.
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2016, 05:45:18 PM »

So, I'm naming the new boss Aquos, because it's a water boss. Not too original I know, but I've wanted to give it a name at least until I come up with a better one, because referring to it as "The water boss" each time was getting annoying.

Anyway, Aquos... I haven't actually mentioned anything about it or what the fight is about I think... And it's gonna be that way for a little longer  Smiley please bear with me.

In the meantime, you can look at this... I know what you are thinking. I know. I've been working on the body movement it will have, since it will pretty much behave like you would expect idk... like a chinese dragon flying. So this is a test for the idle movement of the body.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »

Keep up the great work! Screenshake in your sig gif looks nice, I'm expecting an explosion when I see it Smiley

ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2016, 04:10:21 AM »

This is all looking so good!

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2016, 04:07:12 PM »

Keep up the great work! Screenshake in your sig gif looks nice, I'm expecting an explosion when I see it Smiley

Thanks! And well yeah of course there will be an explosion... there will be many explosions :D.

This is all looking so good!

Thanks a lot! Smiley
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »

I did say I would be talking about Aquos as soon as I had the concept art for it but... That's not done yet and it doesn't make sense to keep it hidden so long so... here it goes.

Aquos is the boss that players will be facing in the Water Faculty. As expected, this place has to do with water and so does Aquos (figures, right?), so I thought of it as this sort of serpent-shaped watery creature that lurks through the pipes of the Water Faculty.

The initial premise I had for it was that I wanted players to feel hunted. I wanted Aquos to be this relentless and aggressive hunter that would forget about protecting itself for the sole purpose of shredding its enemies. I want this fight to be all about aggression from both players and the boss, both have to get into these high risk high reward situations if they want to beat their enemy. Also I wanted to make the fight as different as possible from The Eye, just to give a good sense of how far can the difference in bosses span.

It's made of water, it moves all the time, it's a single enemy, etc. You get the idea.

So, as for the fight itself, players will be moving around in these pipes that traverse the walls of the Faculty. These pipes are Aquos' domain, as they are what it uses to travel without being seen, so right off the bat, players are in this disadvantageous place. The pipes are pretty big, so they still have a lot of room to move around, but the problem is that Aquos is as big as the pipes, so in the case it is chasing after a player, this player has no other option but to run away from it, as there's nowhere else to go.

One interesting thought I wanted to apply for Aquos is the lack of "invinsibility periods" for the boss. When fighting a boss in a game, you usually have to stun them or something to be able to hit them in their weaks spot, and then when the stun is finished you can no longer hurt it until you go to the next cycle. And usually repeat this 3 times in order to beat it. I wanted to experiment with getting rid of it, and so I've made Aquos vulnerable to attacks *all the time*.

Aquos' weak spot is its core. This core in reality is Aquos itself, it's a magic orb that lets Aquos manipulate water in such a way that it can create its watery body. You can't actually hurt the body, you have to hit the core. So, for starters, the core is pretty hard to reach and has to be done pretty carefully.

One last thing for Aquos to be killable, is being able to stun it. I said it was always vulnerable, and that as long as the players hit the core, they would deal damage to it, but sadly it has way too much HP to just be killed like this, players have to stun it in order to be able to dish out consistent amounts of damage to eventually kill it.

To stun Aquos, a player has to hit the core with any kind of ability that knocksbacks, immobilizes, snare, etc. Any kind of crowd control skill will effectively stun Aquos. This may sound crazy (and I've yet to test how viable this actually is, but bear with me), but remember that hitting the core is the hard part here.

When Aquos becomes stunned, its body explodes and the core falls to the ground, where players can whack it as much as they want until the body reforms again. Players will need to find ways to stun Aquos and position themselves properly to do so. Because of this, the actual level design of the place where the boss fight occurs is super important, because it will dictate just how hard the fight will be, by providing players with vantage points to exploit Aquos' weakness.

Sadly we are still working on the layout of the level so I don't have much to show about it Sad... But what I can do is write a lot more text about what Aquos' does! Yes! Let's do that! On the next post Wink

Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 21, 2016, 05:00:42 PM »

So here's a little gif of Aquos following you around.

Almost all the things there are placeholders as you can tell, but we will replacing them bit by bit.

Also the camera won't be as close all the time, because you know... you have to be able to tell where the hell it is.
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »

What I learned from The Eye is that making bosses is hard, like *Oh God* hard. And it becomes increasingly hard the more things you make it do. So, for Aquos I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, while also letting it have multiple phases. I think we reached a spot where Aquos is a simple enemy, but the place it is in compliments the difficulty of the fight so it doesn't feel lacking.

One thing I forgot to mention is that Aquos actually changes shapes. But this is to actually reflect what attacks it is doing, so it will be able to change its head between a total of 3 Shapes: Dragon, Cannon, Spear. I know "changing shapes" sounds not simple at all but since these are mostly feedback there's no problem with that.

Before talking about its abilities, you need to know that these exist:

- Ice Mines: When touched by a player, these mines explode, freezing them for a duration. These mines can be destroyed by players.

So, let's stalk abilities:

- High Pressure (passive): Aquos' watery body is highly pressurized, meaning that whenever a player is overlapping it, they will take continuous damage.

- Defensive measures (passive): When Aquos becomes stunned, it will spawn X Ice Mines around it after a short period of time, to protect itself against the players.
   X is the amount of times Aquos has been stunned so far, so if it has been stunned 10 times, it will spawn 10 mines.

- Eat Player: When Aquos is in Dragon form, it is able to eat a player that is close enough. An eaten player becomes completely disabled and is trapped inside Aquos.

- Ice Cannon: When Aquos is in Cannon form, it is able to fire Ice Projectiles that when hitting a player or a wall, will spawn an Ice Mine.

- Charge: When Aquos is in Spear mode, it is able to charge forward until it hits a wall, dealing massive damage to any players hit.

So, Aquos actually has only 3 active abilities. It's not much, but they are definitely useful for it to kill the players.

The first phase of the fight will be pretty straightforward, players have to either deal a certain amount of damage to Aquos, or stun it once. During this phase Aquos only follows players trying to eat them, nothing more.

When entering the second phase, Aquos starts to get smarter about hunting the players. It's now able to use Ice Cannon, and it will be using it to try and freeze players in place, if it succeeds in doing so, it will immediately switch to Dragon mode and rush to eat the frozen players. It gets much more dangerous now.

The third and last phase will be way harder. Aquos will now be able to use Charge when transforming into a Spear. And it will be sometimes the same tactic as phase 2: Freeze a player but then it will use Charge instead of Eat player to attack them. The problem in this phase is that Charge deals a bazillion points of damage, so getting frozen and then Charged will probably mean you will die. Generally getting hit by Charge will hurt, a lot.

I think the fight is pretty straightforward, the attacks Aquos has are not too complicated or hard to understand (not even hard to implement, thank god), I think the biggest challenge for players will be figuring out how to stun Aquos.

So, that's Aquos for you. It's gonna be an awesome fight :D
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2016, 05:23:48 PM »

Prototyping a little bit of Aquos. Starting with its first attack which is eating a player.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:31:04 PM by Canotico » Logged
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2016, 05:00:54 PM »

There is also some stuff related to movement. Aquos will always try to move towards the next reachable player, and if there is none, he will simply go to the nearest "waypoint" and move around until a player is reachable again.

Note: Perhaps its a little hard to tell where the player is since the camera is so zoomed out... but just look for the small red triangle :D
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2016, 04:47:53 PM »

So, after a long time dedicated exclusively to working on the art for the game. We are finally giving Casmage's art the love it deserves. The game now enjoys the presence of an actual Art Director that's doing an amazing job. And this is one of the first things that are improving:

Bast has been completely remade, and we've also increased the character's sprites to allow for sweeter animations that will come soon :D

We are actually doing a bunch of stuff at the same time, which we will be showing little by little in the weeks to come.
Sankar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2016, 05:23:43 PM »

I really enjoy the way the art is looking so far. There is a classic Prince of Persia vibe that I really enjoy. Bosses in 2D games are always a fun exercise of imagination and I'm pretty sure you're showing lot of potential to us.

Keep it up. I hope to see more!

wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2016, 06:11:19 PM »

New art looks nice and I already love the idea of this game! Following for sure!
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »

I really enjoy the way the art is looking so far. There is a classic Prince of Persia vibe that I really enjoy. Bosses in 2D games are always a fun exercise of imagination and I'm pretty sure you're showing lot of potential to us.

Keep it up. I hope to see more!

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate it :D

New art looks nice and I already love the idea of this game! Following for sure!

Hey I'm glad you dig it! There's surely much more to come Smiley
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 04, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »

Working right now on the Run Cycle animation:

This is pretty much just the blobs of color in, just so you can tell which part is which, but its enough to tell how the animation flows :D
Sankar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: September 04, 2016, 02:36:08 PM »

The animation is fantastic! there is a lot of urgency to it, what is great in a running animation!
I'm not sure if this is a happy accident or not, but I really enjoy the fact that the character looks like its running with 2 peg legs... so much personality!

Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »

The animation is fantastic! there is a lot of urgency to it, what is great in a running animation!
I'm not sure if this is a happy accident or not, but I really enjoy the fact that the character looks like its running with 2 peg legs... so much personality!

Glad you like it!

And well, it's actually a design choice to make legs look like peg legs :3
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2016, 05:45:54 AM »

Alright, finished Bast's run cycle for now :D There are a couple of fixes that can be applied here and there... but for  the sake of moving forward, we'll address those later.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic