Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:46:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCasmage: A cooperative boss-fighting platformer
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: Casmage: A cooperative boss-fighting platformer  (Read 30228 times)
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »

We've been working on a pretty big part of the game, it's called Tharon's Garden. It has all this important magic babble thing about the world the game takes place in, but what's important for the game itself is that it is a hub, from which players can move around the world.

This is a small sneak peek of the place. We are still keeping it's main features hidden until we call it done, but in the meantime you can bathe your eyeballs with this sweet pixelart of one of its corners Smiley

I love when games works on this huge areas. It's so inspiring and gives a lot of feelings about the game. By the way, this really looks like a great game, keep the good work!
PS: Now you have one more follower  Wink

Yay new follower! :D

I really appreciate it! thank you! Smiley We are doing our best to make things feel really really big in the game, hopefully it works out in the end Tongue
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »

While some of the art stuff is still being made, I took a moment to implement slopes in the engine. You know, slopes are not thaaat hard.... Except when you want dynamic objects to push your characters into them. That is a whole other deal I'm afraid...

I actually managed to make it work

But I'm pretty sure it's gonna explode at some point and fixing it will be horrible :D but it is what it is.

I'm working on the engine whenever I want to take a break from the pixels, and am actually trying to get back at the engine stuff right now because I miss programming :3 so... maybe more programming-related posts soon?? Who knows  Who, Me?
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2016, 09:59:10 AM »

While some of the art stuff is still being made, I took a moment to implement slopes in the engine. You know, slopes are not thaaat hard....
Sooner or later most encounter the "Curse of the Hovering Foot" and other anomalies Grin

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »

Looks incredible so far!!

Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2016, 05:34:38 PM »

While some of the art stuff is still being made, I took a moment to implement slopes in the engine. You know, slopes are not thaaat hard....
Sooner or later most encounter the "Curse of the Hovering Foot" and other anomalies Grin

Oh yeah, I'm anxiously waiting for those curses to fall upon me and haunt my development days. I've already gone through the curse of the "Characters that go through walls when they shouldn't" tho, so I'd say I'm prepared (not).

Looks incredible so far!!

Hey! Thanks a lot! I'm glad you are liking the looks :D stick around, you won't be disappointed  Gentleman
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »

The Thunderswordsman has a new appearance now :3

There's a slight improvement from the previous sprite (left) and the new one (right), but it's not that noticeable imo.

Here's another shot of him against a better background

Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2016, 03:39:02 PM »

Been working for a while now on one of Serafine's attacks: Firestorm.

There are no FX whatsoever on that WIP and this specific animation is pretty FX heavy so... there's still a long way to go but it's getting there bit by bit :D
mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2016, 10:31:34 PM »

This looks really cool, I am digging the pixel arts

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2016, 12:25:54 PM »

This looks really cool, I am digging the pixel arts

Hey! Thanks! glad you dig it :3 I do to... but I might be biased.
ArtOfTheWild
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »

It's nice to see Vegeta branching out and doing his own thing...lol.
This game is coming together so nice I had to go ahead and make my first post. Fine work my friend.
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2016, 04:47:08 AM »

It's nice to see Vegeta branching out and doing his own thing...lol.
This game is coming together so nice I had to go ahead and make my first post. Fine work my friend.

Oh yeah definitely, Vegeta realized it was way more entertaining to swing a magical sword around than to beat the crap out of aliens!

And thank you so much :3 glad you dig it
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »

Well, a bunch of stuff has happened recently, amongst which the most important is that... I am now fulltiming work on the game... like literally my day job is now working on the game, so thats pretty freaking neat if you ask me  Smiley

And because of that a lot of work is being put into the game, specifically I've started to focus work on the 4 characters of the game. I'm missing a lot of assets but you know, squares and circles are the only things I need to make something that does something hah.

The characters are super important for the game because well... you play with your character throughout a whole playthrough, so I want to make sure they are super fun and interesting to play, so it makes sense to dedicate a lot of time to getting them right.

Also besides character we've started creating the first official level of the game, which would be Tharon's Garden (the hub world). I've successfully turned what our super talented concept artist made for us into a useable tileset that even tho it still needs lots of work, it is looking pretty darn sweet if you ask me. More on that later Wink

All in all, I'm aiming to ramble a lot more in here from now on Smiley
Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2017, 08:10:24 AM »

Well, a bunch of stuff has happened recently, amongst which the most important is that... I am now fulltiming work on the game... like literally my day job is now working on the game, so thats pretty freaking neat if you ask me  Smiley

Congrats man, that is a great accomplishment. I'm looking forward to reading your ramblings   Smiley

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »

Congrats man, that is a great accomplishment. I'm looking forward to reading your ramblings   Smiley

Yeah it definitely is! Thank you Smiley

So! I've been working on implementing all the characters in the game, regardless of whether their art is finished and whatnot. The idea with this is that we can start to get a feeling for how good it feels to play the characters and make sure we refine that throughout the development.

So first let's check the Shieldmaiden.

This is quick gif that shows her current kit (although with less context than I would like, so I will explain a bit):
  • The first action we see her take is make this yellow thing appear in front of her. That is a shield that blocks any incoming objects (like projectiles for example) and she can aim where this shield appears in a radius around her.
  • Next we have the sparks that appear after she punches the air in front of her. That punch is her basic attack, and it can be charged to produce a bigger hit that also pushes her forward.
  • And after that she starts levitating and, I know it's not obvious, but during this state, any damage her allies would take is instead transfered to her.

One important thing to note here are the crystals floating above her. These represent the energy system she uses to perform her actions. You can see that when the shield is active, it is consuming charges, this is because the shield heals her if there are charges available. You can also see her consuming charges to power up her basic attack and dash forward.

And then we have her special ability, ultimate or however you wanna call it. This one doesn't consume charges but generates them based on how much damage she has taken for her allies while the effect is active.

The 3 skills plus the energy system is what composes every character in the game, and for this particular case, you can get an idea of what Bast's playstyle is supposed to be: You take damage for your allies -> generate charges -> spend those charges healing yourself with the shield or use them to deal damage with the charged basic attack -> repeat.

Being a Bast player you can get an idea of the kinds of things you will be doing. See an ally about to be fried to a crisp by a death ray? Use your ultimate to fix your allies mistakes, and to also gain charges to get really offensive, or if your party is at the brink of extinction then you can use it to protect them with the shield instead, while also healing you. So all in all, even tho we are forcing the player to get damaged, we want to make it so that they dont feel punished for it but rewarded, since that's the purpose of a tank.
Canotico
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2017, 05:36:06 AM »

Alrighty, to continue on with the characters, this time let's talk a bit about Rai, the Thunderswordsman.

This is the second character I had come up with, and he is pretty straightforward actually. He is a very fast-paced damage dealer. However, he has been the hardest for me to design and I'm not entirely sure why, I mean being such a simple character you'd imagine it would be fairly easy to come up with a fun kit for him. But enough of that, the important thing is that we finally landed on a kit that seems complete (for now).

Overload Charges

His energy system is based on building up energy to be able to use stronger abilities. For his particular scenario, he has a passive decay of the stored energy, so he is forced to be constantly attacking enemies to build up charges.

All in all I think this goes well with the intention of him being this high-risk-fast-paced character that has to be constantly dealing damage to be effective, while also putting himself in danger.

Hack & Slash

His basic attack is really simple, but what's fun about it is how fast it is. And on top of that, I added stages to it, so that if you hit something in quick succession, you get extra hits in, causing a barrage of numbers to appear (which to me is pretty satisfying).

There's not much else to say about this, other than it helps him build Overload Charges. He doesn't gain that many from a single swing, which also encourages the player to try and get as many hits in as possible.

Flash

Having to get up close to enemies constantly puts him in a very dangerous position, so Flash is intended to help him get out of harm's way as fast as possible, and to be able to get back in too if needed.

This ability gives him an insane amount of mobility which should alleviate his squishiness.

Behemoth Killer

I know it's a bit hard to tell whats going on because of the amazing placeholder assets, but bear with me: When the button to use the skill is pressed, he becomes stationary in mid air, and lets you aim. When 3 seconds pass during the stage, or the player releases the button, he dashes in the desired direction, leaving a huge trail of thunder that damages everything in its path.

This is pretty much his nuke, it scales depending on how many charges he has (see how each 4 charges form a diamond shape? well, this ability would scale with how many diamonds where available at the time it was used)

So, when used it consumes all available charges and scales travel distance, area of effect width and damage accordingly. The downside? If not aimed carefully it can leave you in a pretty bad spot, since you are completely out of charges to Flash away.

It's a very powerful skill that has to be used carefully since it can pretty much get the player killed.

And that's it for Rai for now. I'm actually pretty happy because seriously, I had been sitting with Hack&Slash and Flash for the longest time, but could never settle on a special skill that was good enough and fit his playstyle. (Hope I don't jinx it).

Anyways, next on will be the even more placeholderish Serafine Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic