Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:12:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrudy's Mechanicals, 3D Tactics Game *New Teaser Trailer*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Trudy's Mechanicals, 3D Tactics Game *New Teaser Trailer*  (Read 16092 times)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »

Posting to follow cause Shocked!
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 09:07:10 AM »

Hah hah, thanks!

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2015, 07:40:38 AM »

Animations update!

Idle animation of the boxy Supplier.

Automaton's "spare-gear" attack.

Corsair's and Supplier's death animations. We plan on turning the Supplier's body into a traversable block when he perishes!

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2015, 11:38:48 AM »

WOW! My Word!
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2015, 06:50:03 AM »

Thanks you; glad it's worth of a monocle popping off!

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 09:46:44 AM »

Concepts update!

Outfit sketches for the police/military corpse.

Gatling Turret, phone-booth design.

Tea-pot bot!

Tatjana and her spider-walker (initially a wheelchair).

Further work on the sprawling warrens area.

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2015, 01:57:34 PM »

holy shit, how haven't i seen this devlog before? My Word!
definitely following this 
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2015, 07:00:03 AM »

They scroll by so quickly it's easy to miss 'em; glad you like what's here now that you've found it!

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2015, 09:24:42 AM »

Really great looking game! I like a lot of the concepts you're playing around with, and I really love the look of the characters that you've posted so far. Keeping an eye on this one!

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
metagrue
Level 0

Game technology geek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »

That editor looks amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Gentleman

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2015, 07:01:27 AM »

Thanks, we'll be looking to show more of the editor soon!

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »

Amazing concept art! Really cool.

And I enjoyed the part about some conventions of the genre (outlines etc). I like posts that explain not only what's been done but why and what the alternatives might have been.

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2015, 10:08:50 AM »

I definitely enjoy the why-and-how posts, so it's always nice to hear that we're passing on some useful or just interesting info as well.

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2015, 12:31:51 PM »

I definitely enjoy the why-and-how posts, so it's always nice to hear that we're passing on some useful or just interesting info as well.

Oh yeah, the info posts are definitely valuable, I think. Screenshots are pretty and all, but I think sharing your process is a huge boon, not only to people who are trying to learn how to accomplish similar things, but also to people like me (sound designer/fledgling programmer) who often don't get to see the whole development process. It's been a big learning experience for me, looking through devlogs and seeing how the sausage is made, so to speak.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2015, 08:07:51 AM »

We've been making lots of progress on the level editor, and although things haven't always taken the most obvious path, it's been coming along nicely. I figured it'd be fun to demonstrate some of these plodding advances by creating a small, abstract map and dressing it up. The scene below is colour-coded using our old annotation fills:

First let's do some basic texturing.

Based on the in-game camera view, each "tile" is a 128x128 PNG as we found that it displayed enough detail given the overall size and scope of the geometry. These tiles can be painted directly on the scene, or used to flood fill a selection. Here's a quick demonstration of painting the map with three textures: grass, stucco, and rock.

It's easy to see that even though the textures tile seamlessly, the end result is quite uniform and repetitive:

The most obvious way to solve this is to create a bunch of 128x128 tiles that can all connect to each other, but this is very time-consuming. Worse yet, it prevents larger details from being an option as any tile must connect to any other tile, from any side, removing the possibility of larger details flowing from one to another. To compensate for this, we first tried using Wang Tiles.

While these were quicker to produce than 16 individual grass tiles, there were still issues that only became evident once the tiles were randomly laid out. There were no obvious hard seams, but the changes in brightness around the tile-edges created straight-line patterns when viewed as a whole. These were difficult to accommodate for ahead of time, but looking at the distribution-image we had an idea: what if we just created a giant texture that could tile seamlessly?

Since we were not bound by the same memory limitations, we decided to try this out by providing support for a large texture -- 4 times the size of the original -- to be painted over the scene one tile at a time.

This allowed us to give the texture more organic details, and its large size prevented any patterns from becoming too visible. Here's a comparison of the original map and the large-tile approach:

Finally, to make the scene start looking less abstract, we wanted to give the house a slate roof. While this was easy enough to do with a single tile, we quickly realized another problem: all the textures "flowed" in one direction. This meant that all the rooftops were covered with the exact same pattern despite being perpendicular to each other:

We didn't want to create numerous versions of each texture rotated to a specific angle as that'd take more prep work and demand more space for textures in terms of both memory and file-size. Instead, we added the ability to select and rotate individual texture-pieces without altering the geometry:

And that about covers our first steps. Next up: layering!

dray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2015, 08:30:45 AM »

awesome work and art style !

did you think about using some detail/untile map ? at work to hide this kind of tiling, we have the same texture scaled up and multiplied with the original one over the all level size.
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2015, 09:04:04 AM »

Doing blended overlays is not something we've tried yet, but it's on our long list of potential features. In fact, Starcraft II's Galaxy Level Editor does this really well by allowing masks and precision-blending between overlapping textures: http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/starcraft-ii-level-design-aesthetic-design-and-editor-tips--gamedev-3312

For the time being we're sticking to more obvious layering and fringing, but we'll investigate additional options once we've nailed down some more of the base-features.

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2015, 07:26:40 AM »

Our level editor has a total of 5 texture-layers, but this number is somewhat arbitrary -- everything gets baked down into a single texture map in the end. Since we haven't experimented with texture-blending (yet!), all of our upper-layer textures contain transparencies and are stored in .tga format to avoid mipmapping/alpha-channel issues.

Below is an example of some extra details added to the grass via a secondary top layer containing a few flourishes:

It's subtle, but further helps to break up the grass.

Once this basic layering was in, it was time to create various aesthetic extras. However, to get the most mileage out of our decorations, we decided to reuse and expand on our roof-tile-rotation feature by allowing any texture to be rotated (0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees) and mirrored (horizontally and/or vertically). While such drastic transformations usually result in obvious seams, none of our decorative tiles touched tile-edges or were big enough to look odd following random transformations. Below is an example of a single leaf tile placed as is, and then randomly rotated/mirrored. 

These random transformations were actually done by hand, though, so our next step was to create the concept of tile "mini-sets" that would automate some of the work for us. Each mini-set consists of 1-n amount of tiles, and a list of valid transformations for the mini-set as a whole. The editor allows for filling/painting with mini-sets just like with regular tiles, except the actual tile placed on the map is randomly selected from the list and transformed according to specifications.

Mini-sets require a bit more groundwork to set up, but they've already proven big time-savers. Below is an animation of cycling through some of fill possibilities using a leaves-set.

With more experience, it quickly became evident that it was beneficial for virtually all decorative tiles to be part of a mini-set. With paths, for example, we split the stone pieces into centre/corner/side mini-sets and painted with them directly.

Next up, we'll try to make that building look a bit less like a stone slab.

mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »

Pretty cool!

Uh, how does the insides of boxy supplier looks like?

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2015, 07:29:08 AM »

Like this:

He's meant to suck up and grind opponents, and even corpses for "re-processing" purposes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic