Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:53:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrudy's Mechanicals, 3D Tactics Game *New Teaser Trailer*
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Trudy's Mechanicals, 3D Tactics Game *New Teaser Trailer*  (Read 16090 times)
BeautifulGlitch
Level 2

Cookie Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2015, 08:18:49 AM »

Oh, the concept art is lovely!

Check the devlog for MONSTER PROM
And follow us on TWITTER
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2015, 10:33:12 AM »

Thanks guys! We just got through a long dev stretch, so I'll try to share more art soon (here and on makega.me and elsewhere) and get back to the more tutorial-ish posts.

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »

To hide some of the harsh map-edges, we've implemented a global fog system. It's separate from any particle effects that accompany props/characters and specific map elements, but it helps to set the tone for each area.

In the animation above, we cycle through a few coloured skyboxes, settling on a sunny-day scene for the cottage. We then apply the skybox colour to a global fog. The fog tapers out to full transparency as is rises up, and its vertical start and end can be altered to match each map's scale. In the end, only a small amount of fog is allowed to seep through the ground of our cottage to subtly soften the area as a whole.

The fog is also useful for tapering off the bottoms of the maps, especially vertically-oriented ones.

As shown above, the fog gradient can recede to full opacity and cover the bottoms of the walls and columns. Combined with some billowing particle clouds that replace the level-editor grid, the scene becomes a bit less abstract and more loosely defined at the edges.

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2016, 07:36:28 AM »

Can't believe I haven't seen this before! It's nice to read through the devlog and see someone wrestling with similar design challenges. The game looks amazing, keep it up!

CODA GAMES | DEVLOG | WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | EMAIL
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »

Thanks! And yeah, it's easy to miss stuff in-development -- sometimes I spot what appears to be a cool new project but then discover that the thread is years old and it just flew under my radar.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2016, 04:26:38 AM »

what the hell this is so cool, art is amazing, editor looks so cool too!

that supplier is creepy as hell though  Screamy

So long and thanks for all the pi
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »

Hah hah, we've definitely tried to embrace the creepy and grotesque with some of our units.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2016, 06:27:56 PM »

I just read through the previous page and it was really cool to see the evolution of the map with the house. The way you added the fringes, then the vine textures, then the decals, really exposed part of the 3D level design process that I've never seen before! I've just taken that kind of stuff for granted.

Haven't seen an update or a reply in a few months, though. Is the project still moving forward?

JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2016, 07:41:23 AM »

It is, but slowly right now as we've taken on a work-for-hire project that's now our current priority. Hopefully it'll help us raise the funds to continue work on Trudy in full swing.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »

Hopefully it'll help us raise the funds to continue work on Trudy in full swing.
I hope so too. Keep up the great work guys, on this project and others!  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic