Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:06:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingShould I change my title?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Should I change my title?  (Read 1574 times)
falldeaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2014, 11:39:06 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to Tig but I'm almost finished with my demo and I'm hoping to be a contributor here!

I finally figured out a title for my game in progress, and like a jerk I didn't immediately google to see who else had used it. My game is going to be a full length RPG about following your stupid dreams with a pipe-game type puzzle instead of traditional battling. I thought I was really clever when I came up with "Pipe Dream" as a title but yesterday I googled 'pipe dream' and found out that there was an Amiga game that was a simple puzzle game that used pipes too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Mania (Originally called Pipe mania) The older game has a pipe puzzle in it but otherwise isn't similar.

So, should I rethink my title and change my title screen?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:13:51 PM by falldeaf » Logged
PeteHuf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 12:44:24 PM »

Welcome to TIGForums! You should make a post to introduce yourself on http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

I always associate any type of pipe game with Lucasarts' Pipe Dream. I think I even remember people referring to the hacking sections of Bioshock as "playing Pipe Dream." In other words, I think the name already means something to a lot of people. I think you should pick a different title, at least for search engines' sakes.

I hate it when I come up with a great name for a game only to find out it was already taken in the 80's.

Biodrome Devlog! Competitive exploration in procedural platformer adventure worlds.
falldeaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:00:05 PM »

Hi Ubrasaur!

I'll definitely make an introduction post!

That's good advice, I think you're probably correct. Especially about being able to google for something.
guybrush
Level 0

Mighty Pirate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:24:17 AM »

Welcome to TIGForums! You should make a post to introduce yourself on http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

I always associate any type of pipe game with Lucasarts' Pipe Dream. I think I even remember people referring to the hacking sections of Bioshock as "playing Pipe Dream." In other words, I think the name already means something to a lot of people. I think you should pick a different title, at least for search engines' sakes.

I hate it when I come up with a great name for a game only to find out it was already taken in the 80's.

This, exactly this. Let us know what alternatives you come up with, if you want any kind of feedback.

\"I must have left it in my other pants.\"
dragonslumber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »

It's so difficult to come up with a good, strong and interesting title for a game which has not been used too much, not only in 40 years of games but also a century of cinema. I ended up going with Arelite Core as my game's name since Arelite isn't a real thing so I was sure it wouldn't be used by anyone else (arelite is a thing in the game). I also wanted to avoid the cliches of Final/Endless/Infinite/Quest something that a lot of RPGs do.

That being said, I'm still not sure if it was a good move, it may backfire since people may not be able to remember the title.

It's hard to do a good, unique and memorable title.

Arelite Core, coming to a PC near you (hopefully yours) in 2015, www.arelitecore.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic