Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 08:18:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWomen as Background Decoration: Part 2
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Author Topic: Women as Background Decoration: Part 2  (Read 20590 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 03, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »

a good thing to do, in the name of togetherness and equality, is to further fragment and alienate those who support you
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 03, 2014, 10:04:25 AM »

@ca
Or I mostly lose to the feminist that aren't cis white middle class, they don't seem to be very popular in game where feminism is more about the queer lgbta kind mixed with the racist lecture we got recently.

thats because most videogame feminists are 3rd wave feminists and i think (anecdotal evidence, so take with a grain of salt) there are more non-cis and non-white feminists on the internet in general.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2014, 10:20:23 AM »

a good thing to do, in the name of togetherness and equality, is to further fragment and alienate those who support you

if you ever go to a political rally, you'll see how depressingly true this is. everyone is out for their own little agenda or tribe.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: September 07, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »

@paul

At least you finally reveal your true card: anarchy Wink

BUT

Your summary is incomplete and that you are right does not mean I'm automatically wrong.

Let's unravel this more closely!

1. You don't get to define when modern feminism start to be modern to win an argument, because modern mean that we are talking to the up to date version, which does include intersection, there is a reason it was inlcude in feminism and it was to adress shortcoming : P nice try

2. Within your own summary you failed to report the point I was making, ie that because the whole exist independently of its part does not mean the part does not exist on their own. A circle of flower is still a circle if made with fire even though the parts are different however a square of fire or flower is still not circle despite sharing similar part.

Similarly you know we can have vastly different game base on similar rules or even assets, as long the structure itself is different. It's not so much these parts need name but that they are also independent element from the whole, the whole forest vs trees dilemma. That one is true does not preclude the other to be true, a forest is made of tree does not preclude trees from existing. It works both way it's a non argument!

So that first part was already a way to demonstrate the shortcoming of your rhetoric, my second statements is more about calling a cat a cat as it does little to be a real argument.

Effectively, while it explain why you think that way, it explain very little about why you don't think patriarchy exist nor demonstrate it does not exist. Nor you demonstrate how patriarchy is effectively inside a bigger system you failed to define entirely at that point. That's why your statement is rhetorical, while in previous post I make a case about why patriarchy exist and is essential to define feminism, and how it produce gender role even in its anthropological definition mechanically. Not such things with your statements.

3. Regarding your example with a monster, you can also say that targeting vital part is essential to bring the monster down, ie attacking the heart or the brain who happen to be part, also correctly identifying part also allow to have control of the fight by understanding the interaction between them, ie understand them as a "system", i our monster metaphor it mean that to aim for the vital part you need to weaken the monster first like cutting appendices to reduce option to the monster. BTW that's how hercules dealt with the hydra, he burned the head so it could attain a vital part and land the final blow.

4. You haven't demonstrate the relation of the state with feminism problems at all, so the truth assertion not an argument but a belief. BTW bringing down the state does not mean that the social practice is brought down with him. If anything reality shows that the state lean favorably in terms of law toward feminism but the social practice does not follow. And if anything patriarchy is what allow the state to continue as it effectively target part of the population and weaken them by blocking access to resource, effectively allowing control of it's individual against themselves, that's why in the law he can pretend to be feminist and not enforce this value, it allow itself to escape criticism and appease the weaker element. Patriarchy enforce the state not the other way around, because institution are born from the power of the few.

A good example of this is how socio economical pressure have increased after the first social action of feminism like increased gendered toys add (like lego or video games who were gender neutral at first) letting society taking care of its member despite the law. BTW patriarchy transcend gender roles as we see that through the ages, even when gender attribute reverse the power remain ties to men, the last example of this is the reverse perception of who is "the childlike sex driven idiots incapable of managing money", use to be women, now its men, without power or prestige switching hand at all.

the thing ca mentioned was part of what i meant, yeah -- there are definitely e.g. black women feminists who resent that white feminists care so little about racism, and tend to downplay its importance. you just have to read twitter to find many discussions about that. so when i said that most feminists don't even know what intersectionality is, i meant that literally. even this browser doesn't know what intersectionality is; it's underlined in red, whereas patriarchy is not. that should tell you something right there

and i haven't demonstrated that the state causes the problems i mentioned, sure, but that's because that isn't the thread's purpose, and because other people have already done that better than me. if you're interested, read the anarchist literature; you are familiar with the feminist literature so it shouldn't be a stretch to expand your horizons a little

also, to be clear jamesprimate, i'm not "progressively minded" at all, except in the loose sense of wanting progress, but it's progress in a different direction. but i do not believe in many leftist causes -- for example, free health care or the minimum wage or a law saying that women have to be paid equal pay for equal work. those are progressive causes that i necessarily wouldn't support because i don't believe the state should exist. i don't think it'd hurt to do them, it'd probably help even, in the short term, but it'd be a band-aid, it wouldn't be solving the core issues

going after the heart of the monster rather than the limbs doesn't mean you don't care about what the limbs are doing, though. e.g. if one limb shooting someone, and another limb torturing some people, and another limb holding innocents in jail, and another limb forcing people to starve, going after the heart stops all of that at once. you have to choose your target somehow, and it's best to choose the target that will do the most good

i am not saying it's a bad thing to do things that are short-term good of course, for instance, i set up the indie game kiva group, which collectively has lent $54,000+ to the working poor in the third world -- http://www.kiva.org/team/indiegames -- that too is a "band-aide" in that microloans won't solve the fundamental problems of poverty caused by the state. i also do minor things like sign and spread petitions and articles about gamergate, etc. (you can check my twitter for that, at rinkuhero). also my current game project is an action-adventure game starring two women with a developing romantic relationship between them, and one of them is a scientist

but if that stuff were *all* i did, it'd be fruitless, you have to hit the heart, or evil will just keep happening. some people can specialize in cutting off limbs or fingers if they want though, sure, that's not a bad thing. it's not even necessarily a bad thing if they, individually, incorrectly view their own target limb as the biggest danger to the world. but it becomes an issue if they *help* the other limbs while attacking their target limb

so basically, as gimmy mentioned, gendered toys are a problem, but i don't think you can fight every problem in the world, you have to pick some. the doctors without borders group right now is fighting ebola, not gendered toys, and that's fine. feminists are fighting gendered toys, and not ebola, and that's also fine. but we shouldn't moralize and say that one group is more important than any other, or that if you don't do everything you can against one particularly worthy cause that means you're a bad person. e.g., have you donated to doctors without borders, to help them fight ebola? i have, but i don't hold that up over you, saying you don't care about ebola if you didn't donate anything

basically, here is my advice for how to do the most good in the world. this will matter more than anything else you can do. buy some property. put some solar panels on it. go off of the electricity grid. have a career that allows you to work from home. grow all your own food. get a 3D printer, and learn to create most of the items you need through it. through opting out of the "system", and becoming self-sufficient, the structure of society can be changed, and oppression reduced. what creates the oppression is the system of some people having power over other people. what can reduce that is people becoming self-sufficient as much as possible (in food, energy, financially, and however else possible). if enough people do that, most of the problems of the world can be resolved, through a change in the way society is set up. patriarchy, poverty, the drug wars, racial inequality, classism, and many other problems would be greatly reduced if people lived like i describe, rather than as cattle serving corporations and governments
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:08:35 PM by ஒழுக்கின்மை » Logged

jolene
« Reply #244 on: September 07, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »

damn it ron paul if you overthrow the govt. the patriarchy isn't going to disappear.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: September 07, 2014, 04:30:41 PM »

damn it ron paul if you overthrow the govt. the patriarchy isn't going to disappear.

ya, but the state is more than the government, the 'state' means power structures in general, it includes corporations, police, military, courts, academics/universities, doctors and lawyers, even the IGF

jolene
« Reply #246 on: September 07, 2014, 04:38:02 PM »

then you have to overthrow the patriarchy  Roll Eyes
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: September 07, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »

no, cause all the things i mentioned have the same source -- people having power over other people, groups having power over other groups. if you remove 'power', you remove oppression.

ink.inc
« Reply #248 on: September 07, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »

love me paul
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 07, 2014, 05:21:32 PM »

Good to see uyou finally embraced the "whole vs parts" instead of just "whole forget parts" Wink

And I'm glad you bring up #GamerGate because it is a textbook example of anarchism. Anarchism as an end is noble however like many over utopic ideology it works in a good will only society and does not offer protection for ill will and even structurally allow them to spread.

Most "tech based space" like the internet first and the kind of 4chan, twitter, reddit ARE as stateless as they can be by design. #gamergate raid are entirely voluntary and without chief or power structure, leader "governing" essentially through "influence" rather than "force". There is that notion can be twisted, for a lot of #gamergate pawn they weren't doing agression, they were just doing "self defense" from which aggressor could hide behind and manipulate to achieve their true goal.

Anarchism by it's inherent structure allow for abuse and preying onto the weak, even if some perception of it expect self sustain society with check and balance. Because influence became such a powerful force, norm get amplified, and what is patriarchy but a "norm". Anarchism amplify patriarchy even more than the state, because the state can be influence to arbitrate in favor of the few and the weak as an overarching keeper. Not that I'm fundamentally for state but I pay attention to "dynamics" as they emerge from "structure". Before you say anarchism is against structure, I will say that "lack of structure" is a type of structure. Internet being this big anarchist social experiment we know that it favor asshole.

BTW patriarchy IS power, its the one the current state use to dominate its subjects, overthrowing patriarchy is overthrowing the mean in which the state applied its power.

edit:
To best understand the problem one parameter is the mean of negotiation in society, A society where there is only wall isn't really beneficial to anyone (problem of isolation). Anarchy propose none of that.

edit:
Actually what I believe as could be describe as "homeostatic interface", I haven't seen any existing philosophy that fit my view.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:39:15 PM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

jolene
« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »

no, cause all the things i mentioned have the same source -- people having power over other people, groups having power over other groups. if you remove 'power', you remove oppression.

ok then how do you remove this ambiguous main power source while ignoring components like patriarchy?
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2014, 06:14:40 PM »

dont do it eva

jolene
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »

i argue with him about this all the time. last time he claimed destroying religion would dismantle all power
BarchKing
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2014, 07:33:30 PM »

whats pauls problems with religion?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2014, 07:38:41 PM »

power and oppression

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »

Information relevance has ended, in a post information scarcity society, persuassion is the war, mindshare is the battlefield, ideals are the weakness abused by manipulator.

"Illuminati's doing it is not, the same primordial soup that had led to the real initial one is the same soup that bred the "new one". The ideal of control is not tied to one group, it's a diffused thought among some people only tied by the same desire and ideals, not necessarily an organized group. A spirit like my romantic mind like to call it, so yes you can call them illuminati as they share similarity of mean and goals.

Think about it, ideals, culture, identity shape society, every mediation in society is a processus that run the main program, a program that is capable of evolving and adapting itself to change, I would dare to say a lifeform that is more the sum of its part, a non tangible things that feds up onto our ideals, a spirit. We are spirits processor and through us spirits talk.

Some of us can understand the spirit's power, we are the shaman, we can talk to them, we can use them, but sometimes we got hubris and think we can control them, we are not, we are them and yet we are not, just like i'm part of society and i'm not society.

When we died, they remain."

PISS theory: post information scarcity society

It's been proven that information did not liberate people and free their mind, the discovered confirmation bias only strengthen old ideals. Global exchange of information did not, by a long run, brought freedom, just the illusion of it and new mean of manipulation, only the ones who did not adapt to this new warfare disapeared. The cyberpunk vision of a hyper dark world did not happen, what happened was the virtual pop, a virtualization of life where each people could build their own cocoon of belief with disregard for truth or facts.

Individuality was turned in the romantic ideals of the only possible truth being the inner truth, the unique snowflake syndrome. The unique snowflake syndrome is precisely the backdoor used by manipulator. The ideals of absolute has been shattered by modern discoveries, and while some pretend to still adhere to those ideals they can only do so in this newly found unique snowflake syndromes. In a world where no truth is possible, persuassion is the main skills.

For those looking for pattern, facts, and ultimately truth, not driven by ideals but curiosity, red herring has been planted, conspiracy theory, fantasy, fictions, all made up to control further the battlefields, labeling something as fiction is lowering its persuassion, you got to move first and fast so discussion end up dead. Those red herring do not denied the truth, they mostly deformed it to hide the reality, to lower its persussion power.

Social network analysis also provided huge information about chain of belief and cluster of thought, instead of targeting the problem directly, we could weaken its network or introduce pollution thought. It allow manipulator to be part of the process of weaker spirit to maintain influence. Analysis influence and power struggle into group through statistical allowed to operate on threatening pattern while favoring useful pattern. Pattern matching was the main intelligence weapon.

red herrings war: over react to minor asset and under react to major to lead antagonist belief that the minor are the main things and force them focus away on it.

Inseminating dreams is the way spirits grew their arsenal, through fiction they pollinate culture with impossible ideas until a bright mind make it bloom. These bright mind make real these artefact of ideals strendthening a spirit.

"An impelling interest attaches to the study of Human Volition. No other of man's activities reaches so far in its consequences, both to the individual and to society, as does that of his Will. History is a record of its strivings and achievements and failures. The social and ethical sciences are founded on it. Its importance in education can scarcely be exaggerated. Culture, civilization itself, depends on the regulated volitions, repressions, and inhibitions of individuals and nations. All these activities come under the meaning of the term 'Will' as it has been sanctioned by long and universal usage. It is vital, therefore, that our knowledge of Will-activity should be as exact and scientific as possible.
Yet there is no field of psychology so slightly tilled as that which deals with volition."
R.S. Woodworth

"Uncertainty (the cognitive) is the very condition to impel a man to unfold his power. If he faces the truth without panic, he will recognize that there is no meaning to life except the meaning man gives his life by unfolding his powers, by living productively; and that only constant vigilance, activity and effort can keep us from failure in the one task that matters — the full development of our powers without the limitations set by the laws of our existence ... to be himself and for himself to achieve happiness by the full realization of those faculties which are peculiarly his — of reason, love and productive work."[8]
Erich Fromm "Human Ethics"

I wrote that last year or maybe one year before
File says 3 april 2012

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:39:32 PM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2014, 06:40:51 AM »

1 in 5 women will be raped? Domestic violence against women is at epidemic levels?

This bogus statistic again, ughhh

http://time.com/3222543/5-feminist-myths-that-will-not-die/
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2014, 07:18:03 AM »

1 in 5 women will be raped? Domestic violence against women is at epidemic levels?

Christina Hoff Sommers

I'm not telling anything just highlighting the source for the people in the know.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »

Christina Hoff Sommers

I'm not telling anything just highlighting the source for the people in the know.

I know her general positions / outlook on things; good idea to point it out though.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:03 AM »

ya, but the state is more than the government, the 'state' means power structures in general, it includes corporations, police, military, courts, academics/universities, doctors and lawyers, even the IGF
paul you are very great
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic