Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:54:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhoops, sorry!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Whoops, sorry!  (Read 4214 times)
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:45:20 AM »

...for inadvertently dropping a grenade in the "Getting Started with Indie Gaming" thread Smiley C'mon, how was I to know what'd happen? Shocked Anyway, I tweaked my profile to help anyone who gets confused in future.

Here's a little treat by way of saying sorry. It gets updated nearly every night and usually something significant changes.

Cas Smiley

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 05:30:58 AM »

Looking good Smiley

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 07:51:02 AM »

Looks awesome:) Although I admittedly had no clue what I was doing(no help menu?) anyways, I really dug the Pac-Man vibe...good stuff

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:48:44 PM »

Looks awesome:) Although I admittedly had no clue what I was doing(no help menu?) anyways, I really dug the Pac-Man vibe...good stuff

Seconded!  I got stuck in a room that had arrows pointing in at all the exits.  But it was fun! Smiley

Look what Princec can do with just one post. This guy is godmode Kiss

It's true, man.  Hope to see you stick around, Cas!
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 05:11:33 PM »

I just keep turning up like a bad penny :D

Another build due monday or tuesday with many tweaks. Yes, the current map is kinda broken! Try M on the title screen to monkey with the map editor. Dunno if it works "live" mind you.

Cas Smiley

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »

The game's got a nice vibe to it but I also didn't know what I was doing Tongue

Anywho, don't feel bad about anything... You're now in GOD MODE! Smiley
Later!

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 10:08:36 PM »

Here's a little treat

Dood!  Dood!

Pacman and Gauntlet will never be the same.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 04:26:23 AM »

So... Java pops up and then nothing happens. I just have javaw.exe sitting in the background doing nothing on my process list. Poot.

EDIT: Wait, now something's happening. Tongue

EDIT: Hmm, I know it's early but there's a couple of odd things in there, like how you have these rooms with a square array of pellets in them. Unless actually picking up dots is somehow pleasurable then there's not much thrill in having to mop up arrangements of them. The genius of Pacman is that a lot of the eating of dots is just a consequence of getting from A to B, mopping up the last few bits of them is a bit of a formality towards the end of a round and usually made more interesting by the roaming ghosts doing their best to make it tricky. But these pools of dots have none of that so there's little impetus to pick them up and they become irrelevent, unless you HAVE to pick them up, in which case they will become an annoyance.

For me there needs to be something inherently fun about picking them up, whether it be some kind of multiplier for picking large quantities of them up in a row (which encourages choosing clever paths through the arrays of them which have minimal breaks in them) or whether it's simply through a purely visceral sound or particle effect.

Still, Gauntlet/Pacman is a game which has needed a good revisit for a while, so I'll be interested to see how this pans out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 04:37:56 AM by DrDerekDoctors » Logged

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 04:48:18 AM »

I agree with all of that.

princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 09:54:24 AM »

The dots are a bit of a distraction from what you're really meant to be doing in the game (which you can't tell yet, because in the tech test you've played, I've not put in those bits yet!) but essentially you're meant to be gobbling jewels, finding keys to get through doors, and getting to exits to progress through the worlds. There are scripted questy things going in there too and of course a bunch of switch-based logic puzzles to solve. Maybe a boss or two.

The dots serve three purposes. One is so you can tell where you've already been on the larger maps. Two is they're worth 10 points, and 1000 points nets you one extra shield. Three, is that they have some sort of strangely compelling "eat me" thing going on. I watch people playing the game and they just feel obliged to eat all the dots whether they want to or not. Curious but interesting.

Cas Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic