Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:31:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLet's Talk Serious
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Let's Talk Serious  (Read 11288 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2014, 01:32:20 AM »

i fucking love you guys

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2014, 03:16:57 AM »

just going to quote myself from the other thread

gone home actually uses a storytelling format that is particular to videogames. its basically the same thing as collecting audio logs in system shock/bioshock, scanning shit in metroid prime and reading stone tablets in la mulana. there's no way you could replicate that (the story as a 3 dimensional explorable space) in a movie or a book. the closest thing would be a book where the chapters are meant to be read in any order or a video series that is meant to be watched in any order but even that's not really the same thing.

i liked gone home because it was a simple, well told story about "normal" people w/o any fantastical or over the top elements (very rare in videogames). i thought it was way more successful than many other games that try to be "deep" with hamfisted "symbolism" or overcomplex plots that amount to nothing.

addendum: i don't think the game is trying to convey a "deep meaningful message" about anything. there's obviously a political angle to it, but on the whole it's just a slice of life story. also pushes a lot of nostalgia buttons for ppl who grew up in the 90s Tongue
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:22:24 AM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2014, 07:52:27 AM »

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2014, 07:57:12 AM »

fuck that rat voiced slickster joe montana, he never talked about the serious issues
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »

So, what's up with IGF awards and the Indie Fund? Are they really the same people pushing trough games funded by themselves?

Just asking.

ink.inc
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2014, 01:20:27 PM »

jiitype
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2014, 01:53:52 PM »

These last few weeks have been quite a ride...
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2014, 09:30:38 AM »

ugh

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2014, 11:08:03 AM »

Just locked my last topic because it got out of hand.

Looked at this one too. It's much cleaner.

But is this how much worse it's gotten in the last 2 weeks? Sheesh.

Good thing you got that last word in before closing the thread! Gentleman

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Colon Semicolon
Level 2

GREAT WARLORD ATLUS SAN

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2014, 11:13:41 AM »

Been too busy getting a demo ready to give a shit about this. Fuck everyone involved, they're too lazy or unimaginative to actually make games and websites that fit to what they want from this industry. If you wanna fix it you gotta actually buckle down and make something of worth. That's the only way shit ever gets done.

Fuck twitter in it's entirety btw
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:19:33 AM by Colon Semicolon » Logged

DINGLING DONGLE DORKS AGAIN ARE WE?
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2014, 11:20:35 AM »

Been too busy getting a demo ready to give a shit about this. fuck everyone involved, they're too lazy to actually make games and websites that fit to what they want from this industry. If you wanna fix it you gotta actually buckle down and make something of worth. that's the only way shit ever gets done.

This is my stance.  Instead of shaming people for not doing what you want and patronizing people who do (even tangentially or with heavy hands), DO IT YOURSELF.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2014, 11:32:55 AM »

Instead of shaming people for not doing what you want... DO IT YOURSELF.
if you don't get the inconsistency between saying this and whining like a baby about gone home then maybe contemplate sitting down to think a bit about things

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »

Been too busy getting a demo ready to give a shit about this. Fuck everyone involved, they're too lazy or unimaginative to actually make games and websites that fit to what they want from this industry. If you wanna fix it you gotta actually buckle down and make something of worth. That's the only way shit ever gets done.

and yet when these games are actually made (hint: gone home) ppl like you lose their shit over them, claiming that theyre not games, that they shouldn't have won awards, that that their success must be some kind of conspiracy, that they only got good reviews because of the "sjw themes" in them, etc. etc.

ninja'd by schoq
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »

fuck twitter in it is entirety because nobody there agrees with me

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2014, 12:07:14 PM »

if you don't get the inconsistency between saying this and whining like a baby about gone home then maybe contemplate sitting down to think a bit about things

We're all game developers here.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »

one more try

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2014, 12:11:51 PM »

Dont worry guys, I aligned myself as "game developer", I have a position of authority.

(making games is not a status symbol)

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2014, 12:18:49 PM »

What?

Since I want to see changes in the game industry, I'm developing indie games.  That's my point and it backs up my stance on much of this nonsense.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »

What?

Since I want to see changes in the game industry, I'm developing indie games.  That's my point and it backs up my stance on much of this nonsense.

Yeah, you're making things, but:

I mean, so are a lot of people you disagree with, and a lot of people we all can agree are wrong. Productivity is a very bad (you could say: arbitrary) predictor of quality. If someone who was very successful/prolific in making games came down to this thread and said "Boreal, As An Accomplished Creator, I Say You Are Wrong" I would think they were a dickhead -- same with you trying to shit on a writer who's never tried to make a bad indiegame.

Blambo
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »

What?

dum

this is the same logic in complaining  to EA that they're spending money on marketing when they should be using that money on fixing their game

different people do different things and they all need to exist
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic