Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:55:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-Games"Hick-a-Billy Bride"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: "Hick-a-Billy Bride"  (Read 36220 times)
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2007, 07:16:17 AM »

Ok, I thought I'd post up what I've got so far.

As I mentioned in the main thread the title is "Hick-a-Billy Bride".
('hick-a-billy' (or 'hickbilly' for short) is a fun word I made up. I'm sure you can figure it out.)

Here are the screen shots.

The engine (ie. the flash file) runs at a rock solid 6 fps to deliver that authentic old-school animation.

Not gonna give away too much about the game play because it keeps getting more and more puzzle like. To spoil it would be a crime, let me tell ya.  Smiley

Still lots of work to go. No sound design yet, needs lots more screens designed and programmed, needs menus etc.

Love to hear what people think!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:54:36 AM by Derek » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 07:25:41 AM »

It looks awesome, I love the retro graphics:) Man, it is going to be great when we get to play all of these games at the end of the comp....

Anyways, keep up the good work man...I can't wait to see what it's about

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »

LOVE the aesthetic.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:00:16 AM »

Screen Shots look awesome! Has the B-Game look, can't wait to see the gameplay!

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »

The screenshot with the possum in the tree has gotten me more excited than anything else I've seen in the past week.
However, be forewarned that since I live in Texas I will judge the authenticity of your rednecks harshly!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »

6 FPS? Amazing. It'll feel like 1970 again.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »

Wow. Lots of feed back. I really appreciate it.

I got an additional 3 screens put together and working today, for a total of 6. Here is one of them.

Maybe 3 more will round it out... We'll see.

The screenshot with the possum in the tree has gotten me more excited than anything else I've seen in the past week.
However, be forewarned that since I live in Texas I will judge the authenticity of your rednecks harshly!

Glad to hear you like the possums. They've become an important part of the game. Sure happy I listened to my partner's suggestion of including them. There are also alligators, ax-murders and the drunk 'billy pictured in shot number 2.

I'm a little apprehensive to hear of your expertise on 'the sons' of the earth', hope I'm not offending anyone personally! I'll defer to your judgment as to their accuracy.

Ok. Look forward to everyone else's entries as well.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 09:51:35 PM »

Yeah, the artwork is awesome.  I don't think anyone's done hicks justice in gaming...  All I can really think of is Redneck Rampage, which kinda blew!  So I'm quite excited about this.

The fact that you can shoot someone through the side of an outhouse while they're on the shitter is worthy of moonshine of the highest proof!
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:39:56 AM »

I can't wait to play this! I like how you have super pixelated graphics but the ground is a higher res gradient.  Seems like it wouldn't make sense but it looks really good.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 04:20:07 AM »

Not sure what to make of 6 FPS thing, but overall this is one of my favourite entries so far Smiley Looking forward to having something to play.

can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 09:39:58 AM »

Sorry for the lack of updates.
I was away from the computer all last week.
Worked really hard on it yesterday. Now it runs full screen, is filled with sound effects and has a few more puzzles. It's getting there, and I can only promise that it'll stay true to what you've seen so far.

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 05:40:02 PM »

Heck yeah, dude! It's still looking pretty good so far!
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 07:37:43 PM »

Ok, I was just sitting here thinking, and wanted to put out a request.

Right now the game has no music. I was gonna slap in Louis Armstrong's "You Rascal You" as it seems perfect. However, two things stop me. One, I tried it and it doesn't seem to fit right. Two, I want the game to be totally free of all outside copyrighted material (i.e. not illegal). Here is the request part.

If you want to put together a minute or two of banjo noodling that sounds good on a loop and send it to me, I'll put it into the game and include your name (or alias, or both?) in the credits. I would consider it a donation. If you offer me this service, I'll send you a beta version of the game when it is ready (next day or two?). What a great deal, eh?  Roll Eyes

Lastly, if no one wants (or is able) to supply banjo noodling, I'll grab a 3 second clip from Garage Band and make it work. So no harm done, except to your ears.

No, that is not a threat, whatever it may sound like.
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 07:38:29 PM »

Good news! The game is now in private beta. Should be rolling off the presses very soon.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 06:42:26 AM »

Looks cool. I wanna be walking around with a bottle myself!

can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 03:05:54 PM »

HICKBILLY BRIDE
The Game That I Made And That Was Finished

Ok, you guessed it! The game is officially done. (I did like 15 minutes work on it in the last 5 days because I am back at graduate school, spending 13 hours a day in my sculpture studio.)

Download a .ZIP here: http://www.willhostforfood.com/files/31404/Hickbilly Bride.zip

It contains: an .APP for OS X (PPC), an .EXE for Windows, and a plain old .FLA.

I recommend not playing the .FLA, but I included it for the sake of compatibility. It might even work in the open source flash player, but I don't know.

Please note, because the game runs at 6 FPS and the key trapping is run in an onEnterFrame event, if you just tap a key it can be missed (a lesson for all of us). So... slam those puppies and hold'em down!

Hope every one enjoys the game. And if you get stuck, just think: You can't figure out what to do, and there are only 3 buttons to press in the whole game... Kinda sad, eh? But seriously, try to think things through, it's not really that hard.

Finally, I really want to hear what people think. Liked it, hated it, beat it, or ignored it? Let me know! Also, I'll accept bug reports here on the forum for a few days, but I warn you: what you consider to be a bug worth fixing and what I consider to be a bug worth fixing may differ...

Now, go play that shit!
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 07:17:57 PM »

I just finished this and I have to say, it has easily surpassed the already high expectations I had for it! As short as this game was, I found it to be a wholly complete experience. In just thirty minutes I felt anger, frustration, terror, mirth, triumph, and heart-warming romance. Excellent job!

Also, I give your rednecks a 100% seal of accuracy. Wink
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »

My head... it can't.. take... awesome...

*explode*

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 10:24:04 PM »

This game is awesome, just perfect.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 12:35:35 AM »

Too hard for me - it took me long enough to get past the possum on the first screen, then there was two more and a croc.

Pretty awesome graphics and atmosphere though, overall. I guess I'm just not used to 6FPS games. or maybe I suck

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic