Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:46:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSmall Radios Big Televisions [RELEASED!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Small Radios Big Televisions [RELEASED!]  (Read 19870 times)
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:05:13 AM »

Small Radios Big Televisions is a point-and-click exploration game that focuses on worlds
within worlds and the manipulation of audio-visual data.

Published by Adult Swim Games.

Available now on Steam and PS4

It’s been a while since I've been involved with a Tigs devlog but I figured it would be a good place to set up a timeline
of the things I'm working on. Thanks for taking a look.

Follow me @owendeery
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:17:01 PM by owendeery » Logged

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:40:08 AM »

Yesssssss  Beer!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »

Worked on a few small things today while putting time into another game.

Made these little bits of randomly placed geometry that float around outside the factories to give the scene more depth. Since the camera outside is orthographic things can get really flat looking. This way when you rotate the camera you get a better sense of where things are in 3 dimensions. I call them 'twinkles' because that's what they do.

Similarly, I created 'twinkle volumes' that I can place in interior sections to mimic dust and debris floating through brightly lit areas. They're pretty much exactly the same as the outdoor ones except small and their scale/alpha falloff when they're near the edge of the volume.

I also started work on gamepad support using the relatively new HTML5 Gamepad API. So far things are working out pretty well. I think the main thing is going to be tuning the smoothness so it's not painful to zero-in on clickable objects.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 12:25:46 PM »

Spent today writing a system to create the shaders I need when the game starts up. Not a very interesting topic but I had just under 40 separate shaders, which equated to 80 synchronous XMLHttpRequests when starting the game. This way I can consolidate chunks of different shaders that were identical, like all the lighting equations.

There are still a few specialized shaders that I've kept isolated as their own JSON files simply because they'd be too difficult to generate procedurally and don't share much/any code with any of the others. There's 10 of those, so it came out to a 75% reduction in file requests.  Beer!

Nothing fancy to show on behalf of that, so here's a gif of a shader bug.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »

Today I built a fan

and completed the gamepad plug/unplug system so it will switch from mouse and keys and vice versa.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:57:05 AM »

Nothing will stop this devlog from sputtering along a muted pace.

At some point I got tired of wondering why I wrote this all in Javascript and WebGL, so I've switched over to C++/OpenGL.

In honour of this, I've released the original prototype/demo thing for everyone to check out.

http://www.fire-face.com/SRBT/public Hand Fork Left

acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 09:01:51 AM »

Love the artwork and concept, but the playable demo sold me (you might want to add a prominent link to it in your OP).  The worlds "shifting" after the tapes are magnetized is a great touch.

[...] I wrote this all in Javascript and WebGL [...]

/jawdrops Massive bonus points for that Wink

Good luck!

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:16:46 AM »

Love the artwork and concept, but the playable demo sold me (you might want to add a prominent link to it in your OP).  The worlds "shifting" after the tapes are magnetized is a great touch.

[...] I wrote this all in Javascript and WebGL [...]

/jawdrops Massive bonus points for that Wink

Good luck!

Thanks so much! Glad you checked out the demo, I haven't had a lot of feedback after putting it out publicly so it's nice to hear back. I'll update the first post with a link.

Also here's the newest section I'm working on since the C++ porting is nearllllly finished.

JulianGindi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »

Totally love everything about this! Gonna grab a copy of the demo and give it a whirl.

I really love the artistic style of the game, any comments on how you went about creating it?
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »

Totally love everything about this! Gonna grab a copy of the demo and give it a whirl.

I really love the artistic style of the game, any comments on how you went about creating it?

Thanks!

Most of the art in the game is very low poly simply because I'm only one developer and not an excellent 3D artist, so I work with what I've got. I make up for it I think by writing a lot of post-processing shaders and spending a lot of time working on lighting. Here's a wireframe view of the first factory, and a quick gif I made back when I was working on the post-processing to demonstrate how the effects get layered.

For the lighting (mainly interior) I wrote a regular forward renderer with standard lights (ambient, direct, point, spot) and bash the hell out of them until they come out looking right. This is another old in-development shot where I'm really pleased with the light given off my the spotlights. Along with the actual spotlights shining on the wall I also added a pointlight near the ground next to each light to emulate a radiosity bounce. Also tweaking the ambient light in rooms like that, or tinting it to a slightly warmer color really helps fake the 'global lighting effect.

JulianGindi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »

That's really awesome! Thanks for the info. Lighting and shaders are actually two of the things I need to really work on in my own game. I don't have much experience with either
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 11:07:39 AM »

If you're looking for any tips or questions let me know, always willing to help.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »

Rock Paper Shotgun just wrote a really nice little article about the game: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/15/small-radios-big-televisions/

I had no idea it was coming, and if anything it demonstrates the value of having a 'Presskit' link on your page.

Here's a screenshot of some texture issues I'm currently wrestling with.

JulianGindi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »

Congrats! That's a big deal Smiley You and the game definitely deserve it!
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »

Another cool bit of news: Small Radios Big Televisions is going to be at Day of the Devs next month in San Francisco with a bunch of other really rad games!

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 08:10:30 PM »

Spent today finally getting down to work on some tools. For the first version all the content was edited in Notepad. I pretty much created all the 3D models and then placed and lit them by typing values into a text editor.

First up I'm working on a room editor so I can place and tweak lights and objects all I like. Here's a screenshot after I was messing with some of the post-processing numbers. The big white cubes are for positioning lights.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »

It looks rad dude!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 11:34:17 PM »

This is pretty amazing. Awesome mood and graphics. I played the demo a bit, and have just two complaints. When i hover above a door on the far right of my screen, it gets blurry even though i can and should click it.
Other thing is there is some sort of color offset effect thats a strain on the eyes. Feels a bit like i've been watching a 3D movie without the glasses on. Don't know if that makes sense.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »

Room editing tools are usable now so I spent some time today working on the rooms inside the second factory. It's always tough to get started on a new section of the game after spending so much time on the first section and having the look and style all 'figured out'. So I spent today trying to 'figure out' a similar look that's still something new. Here's a quick screenshot of me trying out some wall graphics.

This is pretty amazing. Awesome mood and graphics. I played the demo a bit, and have just two complaints. When i hover above a door on the far right of my screen, it gets blurry even though i can and should click it.
Other thing is there is some sort of color offset effect thats a strain on the eyes. Feels a bit like i've been watching a 3D movie without the glasses on. Don't know if that makes sense.

I get what you mean. The blurring is an effect that occurs due to the length of that specific room, I may remedy that in the future by adding multiple camera anchor points for larger rooms so that the focus can move around. The color offset is a postprocessing effect that's added after the scene is rendered, I'll keep in mind the possibility of softening it up a bit if I get a lot of complaints about eye strain. Thanks for checking it out!

JulianGindi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »

I gotta say, one thing that has consistently impressed me about this game is the lighting. Really good shader and lighting work! Really helps give this game it's unique "feel".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic