Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:29:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSmall Radios Big Televisions [RELEASED!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Small Radios Big Televisions [RELEASED!]  (Read 19973 times)
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »

I gotta say, one thing that has consistently impressed me about this game is the lighting. Really good shader and lighting work! Really helps give this game it's unique "feel".

Thanks so much! Those are areas I'm really trying to focus on seeing as my 3D modelling skills are not really up to par.

A quick update about Day of the Devs: I managed to snag a cheap flight at the last minute, so if anyone is planning on checking it out or just being in San Francisco over the weekend I will be hanging out there until Monday. Let me know if anyone is around and wants meetup!

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »

Nice!

Have a good time in SF!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »

Nice!

Have a good time in SF!

Haha, this morning I realized my flight was booked wrong and I can't afford another!

New plan is to drink and watch the livestream here http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine. Everyone should check it out too, there's going to be a pretty good lineup.

team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »

Sounds like a solid plan. Noir

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
CrystalRift
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 02:35:20 PM »

Nice :D The trailer is quite evocative. Great style, and you can't go wrong with some depth of field :D

JulianGindi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »

Really wish I could have made Day of the Dev, but will be content watching the livestream as well. Thank's for letting me know about it!
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 08:18:19 AM »

It was disappointing to not be able to head down to Day of the Devs, but it was neat to hear Tim Schafer mention the game in his intro!

To fill the time I would have spent down there, I went to the thrift store, bought an old VCR and made this video:

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 03:04:06 PM »

Haven't been able to get as much done this week as I usually do due to contract (which keeps me fed), but I've found time here and there to work on bits and pieces.

This evening I spent a little time working on wall coloring for the new factory, as seen below.

I also received these promo/business card that I ordered for Day of the Devs. They're way late, but I can still use them to promote elsewhere.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »

A little bit more progress on the current set of rooms.

I also wanted to try doing something different by stitching and blending together a bunch of screenshots from different perspectives using automated tools. This did not work out, at all. I think the perspective is a little too extreme for tools that are mainly tailored to work with real-life cameras. Here's a cool looking outtake.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 09:28:40 PM »

This looks nice. I'll have to check out the demo some time soon!

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 07:02:54 PM »

Didn't get anything done on the game the past 7 days since I was making some for the 7DFPS jam. You can check out the game that came out of it here.

azdak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »

Loving the way this is coming along- the VHS-y shading is great, and a really underused style- the color bleed and artifacting on old videos is beautiful. One question- not sure what all you're doing in postprocessing, but have you thought about lightening up those blacks and reducing the color space a bit? Think that might improve the effect (VHS had a reaaal crushed color curve) and reduce the offset eyestrain people were talking about.
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »

Loving the way this is coming along- the VHS-y shading is great, and a really underused style- the color bleed and artifacting on old videos is beautiful. One question- not sure what all you're doing in postprocessing, but have you thought about lightening up those blacks and reducing the color space a bit? Think that might improve the effect (VHS had a reaaal crushed color curve) and reduce the offset eyestrain people were talking about.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not aiming for VHS specifically, just adding some of that aesthetic into the rendering. I did experiment for a bit with limiting the colors a lot more, but lightening up the blacks resulted in a really washed out looking image since a lot of the scenes are quite dark.

azdak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not aiming for VHS specifically, just adding some of that aesthetic into the rendering. I did experiment for a bit with limiting the colors a lot more, but lightening up the blacks resulted in a really washed out looking image since a lot of the scenes are quite dark.

Gotcha, makes sense. Looking forward to seeing where you go with it!  Beer!
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »

Working on one of the new tapes this week. You can check out a gif of the current progress below.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2014, 06:45:57 AM »

Finished up work on the tape from last week.

Back to working on interior section of the current factory. Desks, file cabinets, etc...

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »

Been working on a few small things the past week...

Started blocking out and working on rendering approaches for another tape. This one is focused around a wheat field and since I don't have a ton of experience rendering lots of foliage this is a nice challenge.

I also worked on elements for some of the simple puzzles within the current factory, which mostly centers around gear manipulation. A large portion of the time was setting them up so that they would automatically mesh and drive each other when placed near each other, but it seems to be fairly robust and a good alternative to using a physics engine. Also using a physics engine would have removed any deterministic solutions from the puzzles, so hopefully this will be a bit more set in stone.

Click for gifs!

Also here's my Screenshot Saturday for this week:

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 03:41:38 PM »

Spent today working on solidifying the navigation (room by room) for the current factory. Also working some more on gear puzzles, if you click below you can see a gif of the very complicated one I just created. Also visible for the first time is the wiring system I've been working on which piggybacks on the rope system.

team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »

I love the big tree!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Lo-Fi
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 07:49:13 PM »

I can't tell you how much I love the vibe of this, it looks and sounds great! Are you doing the music?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic