Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:24:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSmall Radios Big Televisions [RELEASED!]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Small Radios Big Televisions [RELEASED!]  (Read 19975 times)
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2014, 06:55:23 AM »

I love the big tree!

Thanks! It turned out surprisingly well despite my earlier doubts.

I can't tell you how much I love the vibe of this, it looks and sounds great! Are you doing the music?

Rad! The vibe and mood is a big part of what I'm trying to do, so thanks for saying that. I'm doing the music on this project too.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 01:27:42 PM »

Nothing flashy to post today. I've spent the past week fixing up crashes and memory leaks in between dealing with a bunch of business stuff. The good news is that I just made it in under the wire on Friday with the Canadian govt and I am now incorporated! (Updated office sign below)

The fact that the company is incorporated isn't really that exciting, but it's going to lead to some big stuff in the future!

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 02:59:57 PM »

Good sign addition, it looks very dynamic, almost... almost like its moving in a gentle wind... the gentle wind of creation!

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »

Been a little light on updates the past few days. Still working on some behind the scenes business stuff and also doing some code work that doesn't really have any visible effect. Mostly input stuff so that controls can be re-mapped more easily.

Working on finishing up the current factory layout right now. Here's a look at my intricate paper-based design process.

I spend a lot of time working out the general shape of rooms and lighting before I go in and fill out the areas with detail and meshes. Here's a quick collage of the lighting work I'm doing on the current area. You can click on it to see a slighly larger version with more detail. A lot of the spaces have much more detailed light setups than it would seem on first glance. Even areas with only one apparent light source have 3-4 different light entities.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »

Hey hey just writing to update and say that this project has not died. Spent a little bit of time away from it last month relaxing with family since 2015 is pretty much going to be nothing but this game.

I'm also still working through paper work, and am even in the process of switching my internet service for this project.

I wanted to try out Youtubes new 60fps feature so I made a few modifications to the Arboretum scene and uploaded a 60fps render.

Re-designed magnetic field thingy.

Close-up of redesigned door model (now with a handle!)

And finally here's a shot from early December featuring the first 'naturally' lit room.

More soon, hopefully!

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2015, 12:21:38 PM »

I've spent the past week working on some stuff that will make it easier for development builds of the game to be tested by other and submitted to competitions and festivals.

Up until now most of the settings (resolution, fullscreen toggle, volume) has been only really changeable by me through code or more recently through a settings file. Having this stuff accessible to users is important for being able to test compatibility with different systems so I wanted to get and options screen up and running.

In the same thread I wanted to get the Pause/Resume/Return to menu flow working in the game as well. My initial idea was to have a stylized UI based on these excellent designs by Neil Stevens.

But as cool as it seemed to be, it felt too noisy and loud in a game where I want the UI to be as simple and minimal as possible. Here's the current pause screen.

These are only really first pass attempts, and are just usable enough. I'll definitely be doing another pass at them before release.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2015, 08:13:21 AM »

Today's the day I get to talk about the stuff I've been working on for a while. Small Radios Big Televisions is coming to Playstation 4! This is really exciting for obvious reasons, and I'll do my best to keep this devlog descriptive without violating any Sony NDAs.

Here's the brand new announcement trailer

Lo-Fi
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2015, 02:50:05 PM »

Hey man, love the new trailer! I would love to see a post about what sort of lighting and shaders you're using.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2015, 05:53:32 AM »

Hey man, love the new trailer! I would love to see a post about what sort of lighting and shaders you're using.

Thanks! I'm still digging out of a pile of emails from yesterday, but I'll write something up for my next post.

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2015, 08:44:06 AM »

Today's the day I get to talk about the stuff I've been working on for a while. Small Radios Big Televisions is coming to Playstation 4.

Awesome! Congratulations, would be really cool to have it on console

Thanks! I'm still digging out of a pile of emails from yesterday, but I'll write something up for my next post.

Looking forward to this too!
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2015, 09:04:31 AM »

Ok, so here's a big post about lighting and shaders in the game. If there are any questions, post them up! Also if there's anything else people are interested in, let me know and I'll write it up.

Lighting

The lighting is a lot simpler than it looks. Everything is done using the standard set of light types: ambient, directional, point and spot. They all have the basic parameters of color and intensity. Directional lights obviously have a 3D direction and point lights have an outer radius. Spot lights are essentially a combination of directional and point lights, with an inner and outer cutoff value to determine how sharp the falloff is at the edges of the light cone.

I do a lot of fake lighting setups to emulate more complex light interactions. My first experiences with game development was making maps with the original Unreal Tournament editor, and a big part of lighting with older engines that don’t have any indirect lighting systems is placing less intense bounce lights in places where light radiance should be happening (see the UnrealEd screenshot below). By combining one strong main light source with a well-tweaked ambient value and a few fake bounce lights, you can create the illusion of a much more complex lighting system. The advantage of this is that you end up with more control of how light affects your scenes and you can tweak it a little to your needs instead of trying to deal with the “technically correct” values.

I also fake the ambient occlusion in interior areas as well. Again, this allows for more artistic control over values and keeps things from ending up like Far Cry 3. Most of this is achieved with gradients baked into the room textures. The back wall of each room has an “interior shadow” effect on it, and combined with the wall texture (which is usually pretty much just a gradient texture) it gives the effect of occluded corners. There are also certain elements that have non-dynamic ambient occlusion effects added, such as doors.

Post processing

I wanted to throw in a little bit about one of the post-processing passes since it has a pretty big effect on the lighting. The Contrast-Saturation-Brightness pass does a lot to fool the eye into believing some of the tricks. Its main purpose is to help define the style and feel of each section, but by upping the contrast or brightness in each section it “crunches” the lighting values causing an overexposed look which seems to fool the eye into assuming there’s more detail than there actually is.

Below I've put two screenshots of the same room side-by-side. The top one has higher contrast and saturation levels, while the second one has the default values.

Shaders

The shaders that render all this stuff are nothing special themselves. Just standard Blinn-Phong lighting equations that can be found in any GLSL tutorial. My favourite bit about the shader system I created is that all shaders are written at runtime. I have a shader manifest with all the shaders that are required (eg. One for objects that have a diffuse texture but are unlit, another for objects that only have a color and a normal map). Each entry in the manifest has flags for the bits of code that the shader will require, it then goes through each entry and concatenates the chunks of shader code that I’ve already written into a usable shader. This means that I have the code for lighting an object with a point light written in one place and it gets used in every shader that needs point light calculation.

I also use this system for non-standard shaders like any of the post-processing ones or the water shader. For those shaders the pixel shader is already full written by hand, but since I don’t need anything special in the vertex shader I just generate it on the fly with the same system.

Hopefully all that made some sense! Again let me know if you've got any questions.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 10:18:15 AM »

Spent the first week of March out in San Francisco at GDC chatting up the game to anyone who will listen. Gave away cards and showed off the trailer a bunch, as well as enjoyed the awesome weather which I'm hoping will help me cope with the remaining weeks of winter here in Ottawa.

Photo by @liamsauve (I'm on the right)

I also just received my devkit from Sony so I spent some time last week trying to get up to speed on everything Playstation-wise. I made some progress in terms of getting the game running, but have run into a few brickwalls getting the game going fully so that's on hold for the time being.

Devkits can be hard

I setup a bunch of spreadsheets to keep track of finished tasks. I have almost the whole game mapped out on paper (content wise) so it's pretty easy at this point to see what's left to do. I also realized that by the end of the project I will have written more than an albums worth of music, and I've received a ton of requests for the soundtrack release since I uploaded the 'Announce' trailer so I'll probably end up putting that out as well.

Game stuff! I spent the past weekend creating dynamic vines that I can control and define with points in space. I can then control their growth/decay by lerping a 'progress' value which will be a big part of Factory 3. Today I'm in the process of fleshing out the look/style of the rooms in Factory 3. In short there's going to a be a lot of vegetation, dirt, irrigation, grow lights etc.

Thanks for checking in, hopefully more soon!

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »

This is rad!
https://vine.co/v/O3maThQ2jE7

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
sec32
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »

Very much like the VHS feel in the project. Looks cool and fun!
TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2015, 07:48:25 AM »

It kind of reminds me of Little big planet meets fez.

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2015, 08:01:58 AM »

That water in first post is awesome. This game looks original, so I like it.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 06:05:14 AM »

Thanks everybody!

Still working away on the PS4 build as well as trying to polish up the sharp corners of the second factory so I can put together a build and get some feedback.

Like team_q posted I also charged up an old iPhone that I had and started doing Vines of PS4 stuff (since I can't really create gifs from the devkit). You can check them out by following me on twitter or directly on Vine here.

Here's a few updated shots of the "style testbed" for the third factory.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2015, 11:59:02 AM »

Another update! Thanks to everyone still checking it out, I wish I could update more often but the amount of work this game is taking is enormous. Again, if there's something specific that someone is interested in I can write something up!

Since the last update I've been working to get the outside of the third factory built out. If you haven't noticed I've been theme-ing each factory by colour and the third factory is green. This has been tough because I've struggled to find a good complementary colour so everything is just tones of green right now. Here are a few quick gifs and screenshots of the progress.

I've also been putting some time into fleshing out the interior. Vines are now able to grow and shrink based on lighting conditions, and block doors.

Another neat thing from the past few days is a quick shader I wrote to fade out objects that are obscuring your vision. Since the camera projection used in the exterior sections is orthographic, I ended up having a lot of things (like the bridge) interacting with the near plane of the camera in way that looked really bad.

So I wrote a pixel shader that compares the vector between the world space geometry and the camera look target, to the vector between the camera position and look target (diagram below). It then does a quick dot product on those and fades the alpha value depending how close the two vectors are. It seems to have worked out pretty elegantly, I think.

BONUS GIF of what I'm working on today...

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2015, 06:04:45 AM »

Still grinding away on getting the game done. I'll hopefully have a new full post within a week or so detailing what I've been working on lately.

Today is a cool day as it marks the one year anniversary working this game. I feel pretty good since I'm not totally burnt out on it yet even though it's the longest I've ever worked on a game. I put together this page with every screenshot and gif I've made while working in the past year:

http://www.smallradiosbigtelevisions.com/365

My buddy also sent me this picture from the show floor at E3 where they're apparently running my trailer in the Playstation area!

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2015, 06:56:06 AM »

Heck yes buddy, I've been showing your games off to people who were wondering what you could do with WebGL.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic