Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:45:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCreepy Castle - RELEASED!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Creepy Castle - RELEASED!  (Read 18474 times)
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2014, 06:23:54 PM »

NEW TRAILER

October 31st!

OLD OP:

Hey everyone! Some oldbies might remember me from a long time ago... Literally like 5 years ago, I had a thread for a game called "Dark Dominion", which is on the burner to be rejazzed in a much better form in the future! Also I made a few of the smilies here and it's really surreal/awesome to watch from the shadows and see them having been used for so many years! ( Waaagh! Giggle Concerned <- My children!! <3)

I'm excited to finally show everyone my current project, Creepy Castle:

Quote from: SHAMELESSLY COPIED FROM WHAT I WROTE FOR THE KICKSTARTER
Creepy Castle is an exploratory sidescrolling RPG about a moth in a castle. It's a fresh adventure with the look of a classic, but don't let the retro paintjob fool you; this is a new-school experience. Traditional turn-based combat meets an energetic twist in the form of Duels, where instead of taking turns doling out damage, you are offered a chance to score free hits on your opponent if you perform excellently... but don't let your guard down, or you might find yourself pummeled!

A conspiracy is welling deep within the stone walls of an ancient keep, its master leading its denizens to construct a revolutionary new device; one made to move the world forward onto a new path of evolution. To investigate comes the plucky adventurer, Moth, but what lies in store is a secret too vast to be contained by mere castle walls. Prepare to enter an imaginative fantasy world of bugs, battles and bravery in Creepy Castle!

There's really extensive feature description in the Kickstarter page, but here's a quick lowdown:

• A turn-based RPG with skill elements- when fighting enemies you frequently become embroiled in Duels- which are tests of skill that allow you the chance to score free hits... but with that comes the risk to take damage with no retaliation! This summary still just scratches the surface, and I'm confident when people play it, it will prove to feel one-of-a-kind!
  • Multiple full-length storylines that explore very different gameplay concepts with their level design! From a traditional "Metroidvania" level layout, to more linear fare; from a puzzling Zelda-inspired scenario to a more sweeping open world endeavor inspired by the likes of King's Field and The Elder Scrolls.
  • Speccy-inspired retro aesthetic with super rad chiptune from the illustrious Marius "Battlerager" Schneider!

Anyway, if people are interested, I would love to chronicle the continuing development of this game here! It's really nice to finally be posting here on TIG again and I hope people will really dig this game!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:12:16 AM by Moth » Logged

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 12:29:22 AM »

I like the sound of this!  Giggle
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 03:43:29 AM »

Thanks guys!

Yeah, for a long time we stuck to an 8x8 font and it was more respectful to retro limitations, but with the variable width font we're afforded a lot more detail. The extra room for text allows for a lot more informative single-line item descriptions and I think it's easier to read in general.

And yup, you can see it in action! Head on over to the Kickstarter and you can watch the trailer!

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 03:48:01 AM »

That trailer is awesome, love the look of this game! you got my vote!
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 04:15:44 AM »

The trailer is good! However have you considered having the movement and scrolling be smoother? I.e. sliding to tile boundaries instead of jumping. It looks a bit jerky at the moment.. :/
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 06:41:11 AM »

(Disclaimer: I work on this, doing the music and some design work)

Will there be an option to disable BGM? Sounded very intense.
Sure! The music in the trailer won't be what you hear in the regular gameplay most of the time though. It was the boss battle music to make for a more intense trailer!

Though I am strongly against any kickstarter, I put a green vote in
Thanks a lot! If I may ask, why are you against any kickstarter? Just out of curiosity.

However have you considered having the movement and scrolling be smoother? I.e. sliding to tile boundaries instead of jumping. It looks a bit jerky at the moment.. :/
This is something that confuses / irks some people, from what I've seen - others enjoy it a lot. We'll surely mess around with it a bit in the future; this would be great as an option that you can toggle...
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 01:28:55 PM »

Thank you very much everyone!! @CasePortman, thank you for the Greenlight vote! <3 Really glad to hear you and happymonster liked the video, as well! It was a lot of work.

Creepy Castle (love this name also, much charm!) has such an intact presentation in my opinion that it makes a very fair Steam buy. Could we maybe get a snippet of one of the regular BGMs?

Aw, thank you a lot!! And if you scroll down the Kickstarter page to "Art & Music" you can see the title theme "Welcome to Creepy Castle" embedded there, which is a bit low-key than the boss theme. The area themes are even more slow paced, but we don't have any of those uploaded yet. Also yes, music can be disabled.

The trailer is good! However have you considered having the movement and scrolling be smoother? I.e. sliding to tile boundaries instead of jumping. It looks a bit jerky at the moment.. :/

Yeah, it was considered- that was the very first call I made at the beginning of the game's development, in fact. I don't want to try and imply this will be the same for everyone, but everyone who I've given builds of the game to has been fine with the tile-based motion, so hopefully it won't seem too bad in practice. I questioned it myself when I first started programming the game and deliberately chose the 8 pixel motion for the sake of retro flair, and was surprised how well it worked. I will definitely look into seeing how smoother motions work out, though.

yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »

You got my vote too. I do really like the voice of the trailer guy Smiley

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »

Thank you, yaomon! <3 The voice is a Don LaFontaine impersonator named Rick Whelan and he's amazing.

Just broke $2500 on kickstarter and got a cool little article here on Cliqist!

Now on Indie DB too!

ink.inc
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »

real cute!
LastLifeHorror
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »

Looks amazing! I really love the retro style and palette, especially with the faint glow. I'll be voting and keeping an eye on this one! :-D
Bobert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 01:24:37 PM »

saw this on tumblr and backed it pretty much immediately. glad to see you put up a devlog too! i love the super simplistic classic pc game look you're going for, it's a really neat aesthetic and you're working with it super well. the characters are adorable too

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »

Posting to follow because this looks like an awesome game with an intriguing perspective + genre choice.

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 05:26:08 PM »

@John Sandoval, LastLifeHorror & SolarLune: Thank you!! <3

saw this on tumblr and backed it pretty much immediately. glad to see you put up a devlog too! i love the super simplistic classic pc game look you're going for, it's a really neat aesthetic and you're working with it super well. the characters are adorable too

Wow, thanks a ton! It's really great to hear, I'm super glad. It makes me especially happy when people dig the characters because I really want to make them into something big. Thank you so much for backing! Your game looks hella cute too btw!

I got a really cool interview on Cliqist today! We also recently got a piece on Rock Paper Shotgun with some amazing quotes.

Here's some step by step pictures of making some larger art for duels:

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Dr. Fetus makes his way to Creepy Castle!

Dr. Fetus will be a playable character in Creepy Castle in a special scenario!
Not only that, but if you're not playing as him, you'll be able to encounter him as a boss!

Also:

More duels are revealed
Stretch goals are announced
New community and press goodies to check out

Head over to the Kickstarter Update for the full scoop.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »

Really cool stuff going on here, the main character is great.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »

Thank you alvarop! <3

We got in touch with Yacht Club Games and Scott Cawthon and now we're super stoked to announce we have Plague Knight, Shovel Knight and Chica playable too!

!

Just several days left on the Kickstarter!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:48:21 PM by Moth » Logged

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »

Heh, I love that the main character is a little moth.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 06:27:16 AM »

We're almost there! Only ~100$ to go!  Hand Money Left Shocked Hand Money Right
Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 01:57:22 PM »

I am speechless, this game looks so great already. sad I missed the kickstarter however
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic