Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:43:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPhantasmal: Roguelike Survival Horror
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Phantasmal: Roguelike Survival Horror  (Read 825 times)
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:27:13 PM »

Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/342550/

Description:
Phantasmal is a Roguelike Survival Horror FPS.

Every time you walk through a portal in the game, the next level is generated at run time.

The character you play is a broken man, who already teeter totters on the edge of sanity when a supernatural event occurs.

He is forced to confront the guilt of his past as well as creatures and apparitions that may or may not be imagined.

The two games that have inspired me the most to make this game are The Binding of Issac and the original Silent Hill games.

As with the Binding of Issac, the uncertainty of what you'll face every time you play is integral to the game.  My aim is for it to enhance the horror and slow burning dread.

The Silent Hill games didn't overuse shock/jump scares and had a way of getting under your skin with it's creepiness and implied themes.  

It is a dark game, one where I want to explore a situation where insanity twists the familiar into something unfamiliar and alien - where the known suddenly becomes frightening.

Features
  • Infinite Replayability - Every room and corridor in the building is created from the ground up on a component basis, i.e. the floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, etc. No level will EVER be constructed the same - almost every room and hallway will be COMPLETELY unique.
  • Insanity system - fighting the creatures will slowly drive you mad, and you will suffer the effects of your slowly eroding sanity.
  • Self Defense - Defend your life with anything you can find from wooden boards and pipes you rip from the walls. If you're lucky you may find a gun locker, but on each level there will only be one!
  • Stealth - Fighting is a last resort tactic. Sneak past your enemies as much as you can. Each action you take will have a consequence and creating too much of a ruckus will wake The Sleeper.
  • Light - Make sure you use your light sources wisely - your own torch will sometimes be your greatest liability.
  • Character Progression - Death is not the end. You will accumulate XP every playthrough which will allow you to grow your character and come back stronger.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309320714

« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:43:12 PM by joe_eyemobi » Logged

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

I've been a little slack with my devlog in the past, but I've made a conscious decision to be diligent filling it in - even if it is solely for my own benefit to track progress.  Gomez

I've almost got the latest demo sorted out: just fixed up some small bits and pieces - the UI social media links on the title.

In a couple of days the official kickstarter will launch so dev will be a little slow for the time being.

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 01:35:56 PM »

It's been a while since my last update, but there have been quite a few changes.

Here's the latest thing we've done, a gradually revealed minimap:

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 01:42:27 PM »

Progress-wise, we have about another 1-2 months in extended beta before our full release in steam.  We're running a bit behind schedule, but we're hoping to finish off most core features in the next couple of weeks.

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 03:03:13 AM »

Latest update in anims for one of the main junky creatures:

Some images from our player base:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic