Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411991 Posts in 69441 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 17, 2024, 01:39:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Maker vs. MMF2 vs. ?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker vs. MMF2 vs. ?  (Read 5233 times)
instant karma
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009, 08:03:36 PM »

So, I've decided there aren't enough multiplayer co-op games out there that aren't FPSes, and I hope to work to fill that hole, if only barely.  I've written down some ideas and doodled some character sketches for a four-player platformer in which each player is given a random character from a pool of eight or so, each with their own platforming abilities (one character for example has the ability to make himself into a bridge, allowing friends to cross him; another is able to go invisible to get past traps, etc).  To get to the next level, players will have to get treasures by doing these platforming things as a team; however, since there are eight characters, no team will be able to get every treasure in every level.  There'll also be fighting, but not too complex - just the typical platformer affair of shooting and swords and whatnot, but some characters will be better at it.  I want it to be hard, though, and players who aren't careful will die often.  I plan to include something like the Gears of War/Castle Crashers/Left4Dead revival system to offset this.  In fact, think of it I guess as a 2D Left 4 Dead with platforming instead of zombies. 

Anyways!  My question is, based on this, which would be better: MMF2 or GM? 

I grew up with Klik&Play, so I'm familiar with the system, but I get frustrated with MMF2 because sometimes I wish I could just do some scripting instead of fiddling with the GUI.  Extensions are neat though.

I've never used GM, and in other threads I've read a lot of complaints about it, but I like that it has a scripting language, which is a plus.

Now, I'm no guru - like I said, I've fiddled with Clickteam stuff on and off since Klik & Play, actually completing a few games here and there.  I know some Java, and have worked with other languages like the ever-basic, ever-popular TI-83+ and Warcraft III's JASS, and I used to make mIRC scripts for funsies back in the day, so I understand the basics of all that.  Is that enough to make good use of GM?  I'd download the demo and try it out, but I'm away from my computer for another week or so and I wanted to see what you guys think.  Is there another program I should consider using that might be better?

Sorry this post is kind of rambling, I just wanted to say everything I could to help you guys help me Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »

You mean like an online Lost Vikings? Because that would be soo badass.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »

From what I have heard, GM's network code is not very good. I don't know anything about MMF2's network capabilities.

Oh, and somewhat off-topic, but wouldn't it be better to let the players choose their character rather than assigning them randomly? It would get really annoying if you were replaying the level to get all the treasures, and then you have to keep restarting over and over until you get the right character.

instant karma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:38:44 PM »

Well, the levels are randomized, too.  I know it's hard to randomize puzzles well, I'm working on that... I was thinking of making a LOT of rooms with different puzzles and things, and give each a difficulty, and then randomly choose levels based on a) the level you're currently on (higher levels = more difficult rooms) and b) how well you're doing. 

It's funny everyone jumped to online... while that WOULD be great, I'm not confident enough in my abilities to work that.  Unless maybe I work with Flash?  I've never done Flash, but I could learn.  Take a course or something.  Anyways, I was thinking multiplayer on one keyboard (I know, ancient!) but I mean as much as I'd love to get this online, I'd be thrilled enough to get an offline version out, and I have a few buddies that I could play with.  I know that this means I'd probably have to work in a single player mode if I want to release this publicly with any success, but like I said, I just want to get the offline multiplayer down first.

Unless Flash is easy to learn.

Xion: yes, Lost Vikings, I knew I forgot something in my description  Grin
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:01:23 PM »

Oh, ok then. I say go for it! Local multiplayer is so much more enjoyable than online if you ask me.

In that case I would recommend GM, just because that is what I use and it is really good. But I've never used MMF so I can't give you a proper comparison. There are other people here who work with GM or MMF or both who will probably be able to help more.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:15:18 PM »

For GM, you can use a dll for better network code. Don't use the network code that comes with GM.

That's one advantage of GM over MMF2 I think, if you don't like something you can extend it and use a third-party dll. I don't know if that's possible in MMF2.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »

Third-party extensions have that sorta thing covered in MMF.

Personally, I'm quite the fan of MMF, but I've never actually tried Game Maker, so I can't really give any sort of comparison.

Nonetheless, I'll vouch for MMF.  It can be quite capable in the right hands.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic