Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:02:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMicrosoft to buy Mojang for $2 billion; notch departs
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Microsoft to buy Mojang for $2 billion; notch departs  (Read 15133 times)
tri-pancakes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2014, 05:25:53 AM »

Notch himself has confirmed the acquisition. https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/

Really awkward that he doesn't like them and yet he still made the deal, but I hope at least something good comes out of this (for the gamedev community).
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2014, 06:28:58 AM »

http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/
http://pastebin.com/n1qTeikM

I'm leaving Mojang

I don’t see myself as a real game developer. I make games because it’s fun, and because I love games and I love to program, but I don’t make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I don’t try to change the world. Minecraft certainly became a huge hit, and people are telling me it’s changed games. I never meant for it to do either. It’s certainly flattering, and to gradually get thrust into some kind of public spotlight is interesting.

A relatively long time ago, I decided to step down from Minecraft development. Jens was the perfect person to take over leading it, and I wanted to try to do new things. At first, I failed by trying to make something big again, but since I decided to just stick to small prototypes and interesting challenges, I’ve had so much fun with work. I wasn’t exactly sure how I fit into Mojang where people did actual work, but since people said I was important for the culture, I stayed.

I was at home with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago when the internet exploded with hate against me over some kind of EULA situation that I had nothing to do with. I was confused. I didn’t understand. I tweeted this in frustration. Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didn’t have the connection to my fans I thought I had. I’ve become a symbol. I don’t want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don’t understand, that I don’t want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. I’m not an entrepreneur. I’m not a CEO. I’m a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately.

Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I don’t expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I won’t feel a responsibility to read them.

I’m aware this goes against a lot of what I’ve said in public. I have no good response to that. I’m also aware a lot of you were using me as a symbol of some perceived struggle. I’m not. I’m a person, and I’m right there struggling with you.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity.

My Word!

Conspiracy!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2014, 06:32:02 AM »

Well that makes a tigsource thread worth 2.5 billion dollars right there

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2014, 06:37:01 AM »

That's a rare opportunity for mojang and microsoft  Giggle

Important
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2014, 06:37:40 AM »

Crazy didn't expect the rumours to true.
You couldn't even count 2 billion dollars you'd die first, not that I wouldn't take it in a heartbeat!
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2014, 08:21:47 AM »

what kind of dumbass nerd feels so sorry for himself when hes a god damn billionaire
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2014, 08:46:01 AM »

what kind of dumbass nerd feels so sorry for himself when hes a god damn billionaire

Gentleman

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »

It's happening  Hand Shake Left Well, hello there! Hand Shake Right

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »

apparently sweden tax will eat about 2 billion out of that 2.5 deal. so he will only perceive 500 million.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2014, 09:25:27 AM »

apparently sweden tax will eat about 2 billion out of that 2.5 deal. so he will only perceive 500 million.

Sweden has a corporate tax of 22% and a maximum personal income tax of 57%. And any money paid out from the company as payroll will likely be corporate expenses and therefore not subject to the 22% tax. So I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2014, 09:26:42 AM »

Pretty sure he was trolling.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2014, 09:37:27 AM »

I wonder how this is going to affect Project Spark?

Laserbrain Studios
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »

I wonder how this is going to affect Psychonaut 2?

FIXED

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2014, 10:03:11 AM »

Sweden has a corporate tax of 22% and a maximum personal income tax of 57%. And any money paid out from the company as payroll will likely be corporate expenses and therefore not subject to the 22% tax. So I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers?
i read it on the internet

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »

i read it on the internet

Well there's your problem.

I wonder how this is going to affect Psychonaut 2?

FIXED

If Notch was going to bankroll Psychonauts 2, he could have done it a long time ago. That game wouldn't cost 2 billion to make. Project Spark, however, very much looks like a product of a post-Minecraft gaming world, and I'm interested to see if Microsoft is just going to let it die a quiet death now that they've got Minecraft in their fold. Or move Spark crew over to work on Minecraft and eventually merge Spark tech into Minecraft.

Laserbrain Studios
OttselKnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »

Hes not feeling sorry for himself, hes doing what he needs to for his own happiness. And I know, "He has billions and isnt happy!?". I somewhat share that sentiment, coming from a poor family myself (quite literally on the street, at one point), but being financially sound is simply a loose requirement to happiness, not the cause of it.

Sure, he doesnt have to worry, come rain or shine, about getting by. He can spend a month in Fiji at any time because he feels like it. But, happiness comes from loving what you do and who youre doing it with. Money can let you do and be who you want, but Notch has (according to his letter) done what he felt he needed to and keep up with groups he didnt want to keep up with for the sake of others. Im not saying anyone should feel sorry, or think him selfless for doing such. Hes responsible for his own actions. Im only saying he is now deciding to do things for his own sake, and theres nothing wrong with that.

Ive seen some famous types play the "woe is me" card, and I dont feel that is what Notch is doing. Hes letting us know hes out, why hes out, and moving on. I can respect that.
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2014, 04:27:20 PM »

Guys sitting pretty now. I wonder if any of it got distributed to the other Mojang members. There's less than 40 people there right? That's enough to make em all multimillionaires.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:46:06 AM by Aquanoctis » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »

being rich and successful was a huge burden on me, it is with a heavy heart i accept 2.5 billion dollars to continue doing what i was doing before, with 2.5 billion extra dollars
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »

even though for some reason hes not celebrating and telling everyone to go fuck themselves, i will do it on his behalf
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic