Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:49:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingBranching Dialogue in Games (Article)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Branching Dialogue in Games (Article)  (Read 1834 times)
detective
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:19:59 AM »

Just wanted to share an ongoing series of articles I found on Gamasutra for any writers that haven't seen it.  It's about branching conversations in games, making choices effective and meaningful, working around specific structures for branch conversations, and a bit more.  Part one is here.  I started reading it yesterday and it's been pretty helpful to me already, so I figured I'd share it.

Kytin
Level 0

Just hatched

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:11:47 PM »

It's not really useful for me at the moment since I have chosen to forgo conversations entirely in my current game, but it is definitely interesting.

I personally find branching dialogue to have problems with immersion. It means that the player cannot himself be the protagonist of the story. Instead the 'hero' of the story is a character that the player has a limited amount of control over. This can still be fun and interesting (and very versatile), but I think it lacks the power of an approach that causes the player to identify more closely with the player character.

Dragon's Wake - Devlog
DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »

You should read the article, because that's exactly what he talks about. This is good stuff, looking forward to part 5. It'll definitely be something I keep in mind when writing for any game.

LeonDaydreamer
Level 1

Just dreaming out loud.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:12:07 PM »

Thanks for sharing! I only read the first part so far, but it looks really good and informative.
It totally relates to me, I'm all about the branching dialog.  :-)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic