Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:19:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIt's Snowing Hard and Beautiful (Update 9.8: RUN LIKE THE MOTHERFUCKING WIND)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: It's Snowing Hard and Beautiful (Update 9.8: RUN LIKE THE MOTHERFUCKING WIND)  (Read 33972 times)
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »

this simple tiny animation is taking way longer for me to finish than i expected/hoped, but it's slowly coming together

part of the issue is that ishmael is so very flat that his flatness seems to transcend spatial awareness; seeing him shift in a pseudo-3D way is very difficult to make convincing, and i've got my heart set on the frontflip (and, hopefully, a backflip later)

more soon

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 11:15:03 AM »

more tunes from the game to listen to and soak up
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:10:22 AM by rj™ » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »

even more music (also wip)

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »

also i forgot this one too: http://spellmynamewithabang.com/post/57978660371

and this: http://spellmynamewithabang.com/post/29078808533/what-even-am-i-doing-today

i swear there'll be another more substantial update soon. tonight? maybe!

i might talk about the sound/music design in the game a bit too whenever that happens, i've got a whole buncha stuff to discuss in a longer format

hernanojuel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »

Cool concept! Smiley
I'm really surprised by the design of the main character, will the game feature melee combat? I'm really intrigued by the fact that the character has no arms. Who, Me?

BTW, the songs and the animations are really cool, kudos to you for them! Smiley

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 05:31:17 PM »

thanks!

might as well give a brief talk about attacks, character design, movement, etc because i haven't gotten a new build from mike in two weeks (is he...still alive) and i'm still plugging away at new animations

ahem

Ishmael has no arms.

You might have noticed this! Here he is, without any arms.

So what's up with that? There's a few things up with that.

Combat is All Melee (for the most part)

Aside from the possibility of combat-useful special abilities, Ishmael is all kicks. He jumps on enemies and kicks them in a way Joe Musashi would be proud of. There's no shooting in this Metroidvania. What's interesting about the lack of arms is that this directly informs how melee combat works; Ishmael can't balance while attacking, so it's a necessity that combat is consistently mobile; in other words, every single time he kicks, he moves forwards or backwards. Every kick is a dash. This works in favor of ensuring that combat never feels stagnant; motion encourages fluidity, and I want to set up combat in a way that makes flow not only possible but necessary.

A part of this is that combat maneuvers are also exploratory ones; every move learned that attacks enemies can also be used to approach different obstacles in the world. Combat feels less stop-start, then, and more deeply connected with the world as a whole.

Other Thing: That's how he was drawn to begin with

Something you might not expect given all of this is that this game was actually built out from Ishmael, not the other way around; in other words, the character came first. It's Snowing Hard and Beautiful began as a simple MS Paint drawing using a trackpad saved as what a world.png:

I was just doodling.

From there, I largely didn't really know what to do. I knew I wanted to somehow explore this dude in some kind of a game but I thought initially that Ishmael (who didn't have a name at the time) would be an NPC; he didn't strike me as the main character at first.

I made some music based on this above image to try to fiddle around and find an aesthetic; it wasn't until I made this that things started coming together. I built a small Unity prototype (using abysmal tools and zero understanding of any programming) to try to further nail down a vibe; a week or so later, I figured out exactly what this game was aesthetically and what it was going to be practically; Ishmael's lack of arms informed how the combat would work, and it pretty organically folded into everything else.

----

6.2:

a tiny music preview again, as thanks for reading the above. listen to that here.

nox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 04:41:45 AM »

(is he...still alive)

If he's not, I am :0

Aside from the possibility of combat-useful special abilities, Ishmael is all kicks. He jumps on enemies and kicks them in a way Joe Musashi would be proud of. There's no shooting in this Metroidvania. What's interesting about the lack of arms is that this directly informs how melee combat works; Ishmael can't balance while attacking, so it's a necessity that combat is consistently mobile; in other words, every single time he kicks, he moves forwards or backwards. Every kick is a dash. This works in favor of ensuring that combat never feels stagnant; motion encourages fluidity, and I want to set up combat in a way that makes flow not only possible but necessary.

Your approach to design is very thoughtful. I like the idea of attacks doubling as locomotion, and see how it could lead to very flowy gameplay--that just feels good to me.

A part of this is that combat maneuvers are also exploratory ones; every move learned that attacks enemies can also be used to approach different obstacles in the world. Combat feels less stop-start, then, and more deeply connected with the world as a whole.

How many different moves will there be, and how combat-centric is the game?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 05:27:39 AM »

How many different moves will there be, and how combat-centric is the game?

short answer: i'm still figuring that out!

long answer: right now, the only concrete (attack) moves i have are a dash kick (which would kick forward/back) a diagonal kick (think the shinobi 3 down kick) and a ground-poundy down-air kick; honestly i'd have to do some prototyping before i'm gonna make a decision as to whether or not jumping on an enemy acts as an attack or if you need to d-air to hurt them from a jump; on the one hand, you aren't hurt by just -touching- an enemy (like in most platformers) and certain enemies can be engaged in conversation; on the other, it could get really confusing to have to keep hitting an extra button + a direction every time.

addendum: part of why i haven't totally figured it all out yet is that a lot of the moveset stuff, especially in a metroidvania, especially in one like this, can't really be finalized until the world map(s) are finalized. it'll probably snap in place alongside everything else once i have a concrete final game progression down and can start tailoring areas and moves to that.

the game is about 40/60 in favor of exploration; combat takes a slight backseat mostly due to my own taste. i want to integrate it into the areas very seamlessly; most of the challenge in any given area will be from jump puzzles ala super meat boy and the like, so enemies should be arranged in a way that feels, for lack of a better word, bouncy; i'm a fan of enemy placement being such that they allow access to secrets if you time jumps ever so nicely.

(is he...still alive)

If he's not, I am :0

i see what you're saying and i think i like it

i'm shooting him an email and seeing what's up; if he doesn't get back to me soonish, i might just send you a message!

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 07:25:16 AM »

Reminds me of Cloudface, not surpising siskavard has left a comment already, but the music and glitches when the face flips over at the apex, very interesting twist. You made me curious.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 07:39:54 AM »

thanks! though i should actually point out that that's just an unfinished animation. sorry to make you think the cool thing was cool on purpose!

that's not to say this game won't have its fair share of glitch junk

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 07:34:29 AM »

just a heads up that mike got back to me and is sending me a new build tonight, so that should be cool. more gifs and stuff/discussions about this thing soon i think

i'm gonna try to get him to post updates too

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 10:06:19 AM »

I want this in my life  Hand Any Key

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 10:33:50 AM »

thank you <3

hopefully you're not one of the only ones!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »

o you're making a game?

following <3

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Sam English
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 06:30:37 AM »

stuffs looking good. really diggin the tunes! what a world 2 reminded me of a happy thom yorke. IGJ SH HH HN is really kewl too, love that drum loop.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 07:42:55 AM »

thanks! (to the both of you)

small thing: mike emailed me last night. it's taking him a bit longer to code the next build because, and i'm gonna just copy and paste what he wrote:

Just dropping a note to say I'm still alive.

Things are going a little slower than I planned as bumping up the run speed has opened up a few more quirks, so I'm rewriting the whole action system to not only patch those up but also hopefully make things a bit more organised for when we put more actions in (like slides, kicks etc).

Anyway, hope to get it all sorted in the next day or so, and will send you the next revision then.

so yeah, a soon thing before the next update. i'm excited.

meanwhile, i'm still busy with school and that's tying up my ability to get animation done for this thing. i think i'll show everyone new animation stuff when i have a -lot- of stuff together, probably

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »

second revision of the build just hit me today.

more stuff is working!

Mal Kai
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 05:49:46 PM »

Looks dope. Posting to follow.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »

felt like an update was overdue, so i worked on more music this morning!

the aesthetic of this game's sound is coming together pretty quickly + coherently, and i'm really happy about that.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »

even more music for your cool attractive bodies

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:37:27 PM by rj™ » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic