Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:50:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsColors On Canvas
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Colors On Canvas  (Read 1660 times)
mihaipuiucernea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:52:25 AM »

What is Colors on Canvas?

Colors on Canvas is an educational game; it represents a foray into the wonderful world of paintings. You will get to examine famous paintings (all of them from public domain) and learn interesting things about them.

Screens

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:34:52 AM by mihaipuiucernea » Logged

mihaipuiucernea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »

A short update, regarding menus. Initially I wanted to make all the dialog windows round, just like the close menu (in the lower right). However, the dialog windows didn't look very good so I made them rectangular. I kept the menus simple.

mihaipuiucernea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 03:35:36 AM »

A little bit more info. I would like to explain the three game modes.

First there is the 'Analysis & Interpretation' game mode. In this mode, you will examine various elements from the painting and you will receive a description that will represent an analysis of each particular element from the painting. These descriptions could be related to the painter's style or to the story depicted in the painting, etc. In this game mode you can also simply enjoy the paintings while you explore/examine it.
Once all of the important elements are examined, you will be asked to tweet your interpretation of the painting. This will be used in the 'Guess the Painting' mode.

The second game mode is 'Test Your Knowledge' and as its name implies, it will put your knowledge of famous paintings to the test. This game mode is very similar to hidden objects games, in that each painting has added (or missing) elements that you will have to spot.

The last game mode is 'Guess the Painting'. In this mode I will take people's interpretation (which they tweeted using the ColorsOnCanvas hashtag) but I will also add some myself and from them, the game will randomly choose one and show it to you. You will then have to guess the painting that matches the interpretation/description. I might implement a score system, depending on how many times you guess/fail to guess.

I will soon release a short demo featuring a beta of the 'Analysis & Interpretation' game mode of Paolo Uccello's Saint George and the Dragon. You can also reach me on twitter: https://twitter.com/mihaipuiucernea

Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 05:27:51 AM »

Hmm, cool idea! I know that I personally would love to learn more about famous artwork and its interpretation, but I don't have the motivation to pursue it on my own. I'll definitely be interested to see where this goes!
mihaipuiucernea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »

I just launched an Epocu campaign for Colors on Canvas. Epocu works in a similar way to Kickstarter, only instead of money you pledge to share the game on your social networks (Twitter and Facebook). It is an easy and free way to hype upcoming games and I hope I can generate some hype this way, even though educational games aren't exactly in the top of gamers' preferences.

Please support if you can, it won't cost you anything. It will help me generate some hype and you won't have to spend a dime; just give us a like or RT. Here is Colors on Canvas' Epocu page: http://epocu.com/campaigns/colors-canvas/

On a related note, on the Epocu page you will notice a link to the game's pre-alpha build. For now it only features the help mode and the 'analysis & interpretation' mode. The hidden objects like 'guess the painting' mode will be implemented very soon. There is also no soundscape and music yet. I would love to hear what you think about it. Thanks and enjoy!

iamwhatonearth
Level 0

Find me on tumblr: iamwhatonearth.tumblr.com

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:41 PM »

Will there be any kind of storyline or is it purely educational?

Find me on Tumblr: iamwhatonearth.tumblr.com
Find me on Deviantart: whatonearth.deviantart.com
The game I'm making: thetowncalleddata.weebly.com
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »

Project looks great and I think it has a lot of potential, best of luck!

(would gladly support your Epocu campaign if they didn't require unreasonable rights on my Twitter account)
mihaipuiucernea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 08:43:46 AM »

@iamwhatonearth: The game is purely educational and there won't be a story mode. However, there will be a mode similar to hidden object games.

The game has a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ColorsOnCanvasGame
If you like the concept and are interested, I would appreciate it if you like the page and help spread the word.

Thank you!

mihaipuiucernea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 06:05:36 PM »

Hi guys,

A small update: I've released a new demo on itch.io. You can download it here: http://mihaipuiucernea.itch.io/colors-on-canvas

This demo includes a new game mode, which is basically a jigsaw puzzle. The painting is broken into 35 puzzle pieces. You will have to assemble the pieces in order to form the painting. I am thinking about adding a score system in the future, so feedback is appreciated.

I will add features and new paintings in time, but progress will be slow as I am working on this in my free time.
I am also considering writing how I made the jigsaw puzzle, if anyone is interested. Though, I guess not many people use the Wintermute engine around here.

In any case, I'd love to hear impressions on the new game mode.

mihaipuiucernea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 02:04:26 AM »

Hi guys. I've recently resumed work on this project.
I'm wondering if anyone would like to test the game. I'm looking for bugs, feedback and everything that may help.

I'll have a test build available soonish and I'll send keys on itch.io to everyone that would like to help me test it or offer feedback.
Thanks.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic