Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:59:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRK3000 - Local multiplayer city destruction game
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: RK3000 - Local multiplayer city destruction game  (Read 9040 times)
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 06:11:37 AM »

Spent some time reworking the map loading code to add a progress bar.

But the more interesting thing: I accidentally made a twerk animation instead of a dying one.

DANCE OFF DEATHMACTH MODE CONFORMED!

Oh and dying is a thing you actually can do now.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:04:14 AM by primaerfunktion » Logged

RK3000 - A city destruction game inspired by Godzilla and Megazords.
DevlogIndieDB

twitter.com/primaerfunktion
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »

I got really annoyed by the hud. Having health bars of four players and some statistics on screen covered a lot of screen space. It also got confusing. So I decided to dive into the dark depths of shaders and put the health right to the player. So now the player fills with a damage color. Pretty happy how it looks in motion. It's also really readable without being annoying.

It's also possible to "win" now by destroying all the red military buildings. Next up are power ups.

DevlogIndieDB

Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 04:37:40 AM »

Hmm! This looks very cool. The idea of having the camera from the perspective of a helicopter is very clever and I think it really works. Maybe add some scrolling newscast text along the bottom and have the gameplay footage be the live feed from a news crew reporting on the event - you could even have a news reporter 'narrating' the action "Oh no! The city is almost completely destroyed! The property damage has passed five hundred million dollars! It's just awful, Jim!"

I don't know if you're still early enough in development that you're interested in ideas for general gameplay, but how about a multiplayer mode where one player can control the city's defenses in an RTS-style layout in order to oppose the mech/monster players? I think that kind of asymmetrical gameplay, though challenging to balance, could be really rewarding and provide a lot of space for strategy and tactics on the part of the players that might be missing from a straight-up AI stomp.
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 05:02:35 AM »

Thanks a lot! And jeah, I don't think news reporters are going to happen but adding some sort of live ticker with some statistics and stuff is something I plan on looking into. I'm very open to suggestions, as I am still mainly working on more basic stuff like making the destruction as fun as I can. And I am also undecided on the game modes. What you're suggesting sounds pretty cool and shouldn't be too hard to implement. I'm pretty sure I'll look into that. Thanks!

And instead of power ups I worked in some actual destruction of the buildings.

I am pre fracturing the buildings in blender. In Unity every fracture has a kinematic rigidbody (so no forces get applied) and a disabled collider. They are parented to a building container having a collider and the buildings script attached to it. So if you punch a building the fists collider only collides with the container and deals damage. As soon as the building is "dead", the containers collider gets disabled, the fracture colliders enabled, the rigidbodys set to non kinematic and some force according to the hit direction gets applied.

It feels pretty good to destroy stuff now. It also adds a gameplay element as enemies are blocked by the debris and have to find an other way.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:19:56 AM by primaerfunktion » Logged

DevlogIndieDB

hansolo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 05:06:03 AM »

Very nice, liked the minimalistic style  Hand Thumbs Up Right

You can increase the replayability by adding an achievement system, such as in Reus. Reus had small step achievements which gets harder gradually. In every 'match' player may achieve few of them and start a new session for more. For your game this approach would be suitable, I think.
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »

Thanks a lot but that sounds quite arbitrary to me.

Although I've been thinking about something not entirely different: So every map has a sequence of missions. Like the first mission of a map being something like "Destroy the power plant" to turn off the power of some military base you couldn't attack before. And after destroying that military base a boss spawns to defend the city or something. With the end target always being the destruction of the city hall. Afterwards you unlock the next map with different missions.

I should be able to implement that right into the map editor for custom maps. So you would have to draw lines from power plants to military bases for them to even work and stuff like that.

That way I could mix up the gameplay a bit and it would work pretty well alone as well as Co-op with others.

I'll sit down one of the following days and properly think through it and make a plan.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:58:06 AM by primaerfunktion » Logged

DevlogIndieDB

primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »

Began implementing "Power Ups". They are more like extensions; a secondary attack so to speak. Enemies drop a box when destriyed and you get a random extension assigned when picked up. Right now I have implemented a rocket launcher and dual wielded machine guns. I'm still undecided whether I'll limit the extensions ammo or not because it quite overpowered right now. But also fun.

Also you regain health by destroying stuff now.

DevlogIndieDB

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 06:13:41 PM »

god i'm so excited for this

Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »

Looks awesome. The helicopter shadow is a nice touch.
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »

Rocket Baseball?

Haven't had that much time recently and mostly experimented with extensions. Like this sword you can deflect bullets and rockets with. Also I have updated Unity to 4.6 beta to implement the new UI which I have quite a few problems with. It's a complete mess right now. But at least it'll be easier to make it look nice as soon everything works.

And I have made some smaller changes like adding some more buildings and you can't place cars in the editor anymore. They get placed on the streets when the game loads as it was mostly annoying to place them yourself.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:06:59 PM by primaerfunktion » Logged

DevlogIndieDB

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »

I adore this

DUSTER - Western Simulator

Tig Blog
Thomas_
Level 0

https://twitter.com/DustbowlAGS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »

All this make me wanna play your game!
Rampage in 3d!
EDIT: Now "watched" and commented on indiedb Wink
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:19:42 AM by Atavismus » Logged

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 02:16:02 AM »

Looks amazing, I sent you an E-Mail because I'm interested in writing music for this!

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 02:21:31 AM »

ftr so am i, i guess we'll have to duke it out, punk

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 05:33:17 AM »

Wow, the way you combine the colors with the low poly models make the game look fantastic!
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 06:48:57 AM »

Ohhh. Thanks for the tip on the pallete stuff. Checking it now. Cheers.

On STEAM »
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »

Thank you! It's always good to hear that when you work on stuff alone.

Also decided to add some detail to the buildings. Windows!

(Just ignore those "artifacts" on top of some buildings.)

That got me the idea of a day and night cycle to make things a bit more interesting. It's still really rough though (like the buildings still having their lights on when destroyed (the people inside probably just don't care)) but it works.

(Best watched listening to this:

.)

DevlogIndieDB

mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 07:22:04 AM »

(Best watched listening to this:

.)
hahah fits perfectly Wink

Machi & Mark
Level 0

NYC Based Dev Team, Eaters of Bareburger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 08:00:25 AM »

Hey. Looking really good! I like how you can rotate the camera even at an isometric perspective. Also, whats the mask for (bottom right hand corner)?

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 09:52:35 PM »

Neato!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic