Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:02:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRK3000 - Local multiplayer city destruction game
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: RK3000 - Local multiplayer city destruction game  (Read 9033 times)
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 08:14:06 AM »

Thanks! The face is a leftover from when it was just a single player thing. I wanted it to be the robots face to give the robot some personality kind of like in Doom . I have already animated some facial expressions and some mouth movements for when "it" talks. I'm not sure what to do with the face now though as it would be pretty overkill to put 4 of those on screen. Maybe I'll just cut it but I thought it looked cool so I just left it in for now.

RK3000 - A city destruction game inspired by Godzilla and Megazords.
DevlogIndieDB

twitter.com/primaerfunktion
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 07:51:17 AM »

I made quite some progress lately. The biggest news is probably a not entirely shit traffic simulation™!

Vehicles moved completely randomly up to this point. When the map was loaded, vehicles spawned on the streets with a random rotation and they just moved forward. If they drove into a static object, the collision angle was reflected and they just kept on moving. They didn’t care about the street at all. Super boring.

I did it this way because I didn’t know how to make the vehicles use the streets but also be aware of the destruction going on. But I came up with a solution.

I simply place a bubble on each street segment. When the level is loaded those bubbles look up if there is a bubble next to it on the grid. If there is, it saves them in a list. So when a car enters a bubble, the bubble sends all it’s neighbor bubbles to the vehicle. The vehicle now decides into which direction to drive based on where it comes from, so they don’t just move back and forth between a couple of bubbles.

Now the player walks around and destroys stuff. Bug destruction chunks are on the street. If one of those chunks lands inside a bubble, that bubble just deletes itself from the neighbor bubbles list of possible drive directions so vehicles avoid that direction. If the player moves that chunk out of the way that bubble adds itself to the neighbors list again.

This is what it looks like:

(Some cars still spawn at weird positions so they didn’t get the memo yet.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:05:14 AM by primaerfunktion » Logged

DevlogIndieDB

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 08:15:31 AM »

Shouldn't each car that spawns have a specific driver and number of passengers that have a specific goal/destination? If you have a day-night cycle you will need to add in morning commutes and 5pm rush hour traffic... people need to go to the store to pick up bread, milk, eggs... not to mention the rushing to the hospital with a woman going into labor... giant robots attacking makes this highly inconvenient. Did you ever stop to consider those poor people? What is wrong with you!

my twitter. my itch.io page.
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 08:25:30 AM »

This dimension is a communist utopia. Everybody's driving around for the fun of it. Nobody has to work. Women give birth at home together with her family. Her loved ones. Everything's fine. Don't worry.

DevlogIndieDB

GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 10:00:01 PM »

@primaerfunktion I'm completely diggin the art style! It looks so sick! The vibrant colours are really workin in the game's favour. Love the low poly look too.

Looks aside, the game looks very fun so far. Very intense AI mechanics, but the look like they work! Kudos on that. I'm still quite new to AI.

Definitely gonna keep notifs on for this. Smiley Toast Right

primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 12:07:43 PM »

Thanks Graham!

So, I haven't had that much time to work on the game recently and then participated at the 7DFPS jam. You can check out my entry here if you want to: http://primaerfunktion.itch.io/adams-drive-32

But now I'm back at it. Currently I'm rewriting some code to fix bugs (no more regular crashes, yay!), reworking menus, making stuff prettier and implementing Jets.

Those are 32 Jets. And I forgot remove them after they crash so they just

and exploding again and again when they touch something.

Things I leaned from it:

• It's fun.
  • Performance is still a non-issue.

Also there is no "normal" punch anymore. Instead there is one low punch and one high punch as, obviously, most stuff is lower than a normal forward punch is and with the jets also higher.

Coffee

DevlogIndieDB

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »

Those are 32 Jets. And I forgot remove them after they crash so they just

and exploding again and again when they touch something.
This has to be a feature at some point
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 01:51:11 PM »

this look neat

primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »

Thanks guys!

I've been working on the title screen and main menu thing. There are still a few thing I need to do or want to experiment with (like maybe bring some color in), but everything works basically. Aaaaaand this is the logo I'll maybe keep finally.

DevlogIndieDB

bornander
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2014, 05:43:37 AM »

This looks so cool, especially the art-style.
Well done!

Current devlog; Grapple
Try Hovercraft for Android, voted "a game" by players.Hovercraft on Google play
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2015, 10:45:14 AM »

Hey! Sorry for neglecting you guys for so long. But don't worry. It's not you, It's me.

You can check out a demo if you're going to IndieCade East. If you're not, you can watch a badly played playthrough of the Demo:

You can also watch the playthorugh if your going, in case you want to. I don't want to limit you.

Love,
me.

DevlogIndieDB

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2015, 11:53:52 AM »

4 player coop? Nice! Stylish graphics? Nice!

I would say keep working on the menu. Cuz I love the gameplay graphics but the menu is just tolerable.

primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 12:04:58 PM »

Haha, jeah. Thanks though! I really don't like working on UI stuff.  Facepalm

DevlogIndieDB

DLG
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2015, 01:54:13 AM »

Liking this, reminds me of an all time fav king of the monsters 2

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic