Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411977 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 15, 2024, 01:05:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesA New Zero
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A New Zero  (Read 7310 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2009, 02:06:39 PM »

This is just unreal. Rock Paper Shotgun reports that this game is 432 KB in size. How is that possible? I have no idea. But it looks pretty darn neat.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »

Take a look at .kkrieger for some serious compression. Well, hello there!
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 02:26:34 PM »

Holy cow, that is impressive.

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »

this game is 432 KB in size. How is that possible?

Are you serious? Most Amiga games are less than 432KB in size, and have rather a lot more in the way of both logic and bitmaps. (Not criticising this game, mind you, it looks cool.)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:30:43 PM »

I totally played this game last week sometime and thought "this is cool" and then forgot about it. Never noticed it was so tiny though. Awesome/sweet/rad.

increpare
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 02:30:52 PM »

Okay...that was pretty fun...amusing to dip my feet into, and had a nice enough retro feel.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »

I really dislike the plane controls. I wish that the AD rotated and the mouse turned the plane.

increpare
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »

I really dislike the plane controls. I wish that the AD rotated and the mouse turned the plane.
that was pretty weird alright, but I got used to it...
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »

Are you serious?

Yes, I'm serious. Some of us just aren't that old. Tongue

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 12:59:08 AM »

Did you know...

Everything in A New Zero is procedurally generated at run-time, meaning the entire game fits in one 432 KB executable (1/10,000th the size of Left 4 Dead). All textures, models, music and sound effects are created using complex algorithms, or sometimes simple algorithms. Also all of the design and programming is done by one person: me.

Is that you, Bob?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 03:58:19 AM »

Take a look at .kkrieger for some serious compression. Well, hello there!
.kkrieger was so disappointing. They spend all that effort on compressing it and not a single ounce on actually designing the game.

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 04:17:52 AM »

.kkrieger was so disappointing. They spend all that effort on compressing it and not a single ounce on actually designing the game.
It's not a real game, it's more like an interactive tech demo by one of the leading groups in this graphics demo scene.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 04:20:05 AM »

It's not a real game, it's more like an interactive tech demo by one of the leading groups in this graphics demo scene.
Sceners generally seem to be a bit blank on game design, in my experience. Too bogged down in hardcore programming (and usually their own egos) to actually know what's fun.

falican
Level 0

!!Warning!! Python evangelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 04:45:04 AM »

We had a network game of this at lunch today at work. One person downloaded it and suddenly half the office was on board. We couldn't quite get the planes working right but the gunboats are certainly fun. It isn't 432kb but it is under a meg which is pretty impressive considering lots of the libraries you often use are bigger than this.

It is in beta so it has a pretty brutal learning curve and the controls need polish. But it is really neat and I love the graphical styling. The network game *just worked* which is always nice.
Movius
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 05:36:43 AM »

Sceners generally seem to be a bit blank on game design, in my experience. Too bogged down in hardcore programming (and usually their own egos) to actually know what's fun.
Normally, I'd agree. But, if i remember correctly, .kkrieger was meant as a tech demo for the makers' game development software.

Not sure what came of it, but i think it was basically a set of tools to help enable developers/artists/etc. to make 'real games' using the ridiculous compression techniques of 64k games.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 05:46:05 AM »

Not sure what came of it, but i think it was basically a set of tools to help enable developers/artists/etc. to make 'real games' using the ridiculous compression techniques of 64k games.
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about though Grin

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 09:18:30 AM »

Sumotori Dreams is only 87 kb, is fun, has good physics, and even a secret.

Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 04:48:11 PM »

why isnt this on the front page ??

BEST GAME EVAR!
PaleFox
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »

.kkreiger is not a real game, true, but watch some of their demo work (also ridiculously small, becuase that's just what the group does). .debris is pretty cool, if you can't run it properly on your machine (for example, if there's long periods when nothing's happening or it lags crazily) you can probably watch it on Youtube. I mention it because it also uses the kkrieger engine so it's like half a meg.
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 06:11:42 PM »

Sumotori Dreams is only 87 kb, is fun, has good physics, and even a secret.

Oh wow, that hidden area was amazing. Kiss

I want more games about people falling over, and then trying to get up but only falling over once again.  Because of my blocks. Evil

I guess the difference between this and Toribash is that I actually know what's going on in this game.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic