Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:59:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNew Physics-based Action Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Physics-based Action Game  (Read 2180 times)
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »

A new project from SuperChop Games

For now, we're calling it proto-1.  We'll be sharing details on this thread, as well as our blog.  For anyone who is interested, please share your thoughts.  Links to payable builds coming soon!

Recent screenshot:

Key Features
- Completely physics-based
- 2d action platformer
- Procedural weapon system
- Roguey-like-ish-type

Platforms
Yes
- PC
- Mac
Probably
- Linux
Maybe
- Console
- PS Vita
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:02:30 AM by superchop » Logged

Zanenga
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »

Looks cool man! Reminded me of Crash Commando a bit.
I like the way the ground gets distorted when something hits it.

Do you guys have any plans for co-op?

Hey! I'm a game designer/programmer/writer, and I like to make games. Smiley

@LucasZanenga Facebook
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:40:32 AM »

Multiplayer is something we've talked about.  Whether it be co-op story mode, or a versus battle mode, we definitely want to give multiplayer a try.  For now, most of the work is on fleshing out the base game systems, but stay tuned.  We're at version 0.0.0.2  Wink

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »

Well, we mean just about anything that moves in the game is controlled by the physics engine.  The idea is that if the entire game system is built around physics, you get a lot of interesting, intuitive, and sometimes even wacky interactions that arise emergently in the game.  Here's a good example:

Some things to note here:
- The player movement is controlled with physics forces
- The enemy's movement is controlled with physics forces
- Wall grabs are done by attaching actual breakable physics joints
- Wall grabs aren't specific to walls, you can grab anything (grab an enemy and slam it to the ground).

Flying enemies are driven by two main forces.  There is a predictive lift force in the direction of its local vector down, and there is a predictive torque force which tries to maintain an upward direction.  Those two forces alone combine to create an enemy that feels alive.  When knocked up or down, it will attempt to propel itself back to its resting height.  If hit with a tangential force which causes it to spin, it will attempt to straighten its rotation back to its resting state.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »

This is neat. Some cool effects. Will definitely watch this! Curious where it'll end up  Smiley

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »

Live Sandbox Writeup
For those of you who use Unity, I've created a post on the Unity Forum about implementing a live sandbox into the game:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/new-physics-based-action-game.268809/#post-1789281

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:23:39 AM by superchop » Logged

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »

Here's a first look at the door that transports the player between it's cozy home base and the big bad game world.

The idea is that between levels the player will be able to travel to his/her safe-home, wherein powerups, customizations, and other fun stuff can be configured.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:01:56 AM by superchop » Logged

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 02:16:32 PM »

Oh dear, they're getting smarter...

Little ground enemies now traverse and climb over obstacles towards their destination.  In this case, toward an unsuspecting player character.

Going to be traveling for several days, but I'll try to find time to write about the AI system.  It's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:01:44 AM by superchop » Logged

hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 10:55:32 AM »

AI System Writeup
For those of you who use Unity, I've done a short writeup of part of the AI system.

For those of you who don't use Unity, here's a fun load test I did of the little ground enemies:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:23:51 AM by superchop » Logged

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »

holy shit yes.

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 05:49:14 AM »

Woah! This is so cool... Are those ground enemies actually climbing on each other? That's like super terrifying!

my twitter. my itch.io page.
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 06:08:41 AM »

Woah! This is so cool... Are those ground enemies actually climbing on each other? That's like super terrifying!

Yep, they crawl on eachother.  The crazy thing is, if you're on a platform above them with no wall for them to climb, they'll build a little wall up to where they can start jumping on the platform.  I didn't even program that part in... it's weird.  And if that wasn't creepy enough, I've just added the first piece of non-programmer art.  The little guys now look like gross little mites (in-game gif soon)

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »

You should keep the programmer art too, it doesn't look bad- it looks stylized. That new enemy looks great too though- just different. Maybe an in-game toggle if it's not too much work? You already have the art, so why not give the player options? Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic