Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:57:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamessuper mario 64-likes of the past 5 years?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: super mario 64-likes of the past 5 years?  (Read 24339 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2015, 10:59:38 AM »

also nonlinearity/exploration was a part of mario right from the first super mario bros and its importance increased as the series progressed. mario was never a completely linear obstacle course. if anyhting, sm64 is the logical next step after yoshi's island (counting that as a mario game).

tho honestly, none of this should matter. it's an amazing game, who cares how "true to the series" it supposedly is?
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2015, 12:38:07 PM »

apparently some people are bothered that it's not smb in 3d. no one here though. i am more interested in breaking down and comparing the game.

also, crash has little to no teleportation to other levels, iirc, while the smb games always had the pipes that sent you to other areas.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »

ok fair enough

btw: something else on the zelda comparison: as i already pointed out in this thread, sm64 and ocarina of time were developed in parallel with tons of ideas passed back and forth between them. so its obvious that sm64 would be a bit zelda esque.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/1

Iwata: The challenge with the Nintendo 64 system was to turn those two titles into 3D. Koizumi-san, I think you were the person closest to Miyamoto-san during development then. What was on your mind?

Koizumi: I do think they are often made in pairs. They both fell into the category of "3D open-world action games." I didn't really see the difference between them.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2015, 02:25:17 PM »

jesus christ...earthbound programmer turned nintendo president having an interview with a major ocarina of time and majora's mask developer. i am having a serious nerdgasm here.

anyway, unfortunately to this day i have played little of ocarina of time and mario 64. i want to beat them one day. i also want to try the goemon 64 game that i hear predates zelda on some innovations that oot is said to have. i believe they include auto-jumping and 3d lock-on combat with lock-on combat being an extremely important achievement.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »

goemon 64 was the game that taught me english. i don't recall it having lock on but its pretty ok and yes it's basically a zelda game with more platforming. it also has ZANY JAPANESE HUMOR
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2015, 03:13:11 PM »

Goemon 64 didn't have lock-on or auto-jumping. Its similarities to Ocarina were the world design (dungeons were similar to Zelda in progression, and even included items that worked like the map and compass) and recovering a collection of puzzle solving items.

It was a fantastic game, though. The submarine level with the music that gradually gained layers as you progressed was particularly memorable.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »

it taught you well.

i remember goemon being said to have more platforming before. i also want to try/beat all the 6d bombermans.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2015, 05:40:13 PM »

well actually it was my mom translating the game for me while i played and explaining what words and phrases meant. as a result "weirdo" is one of the first english words i ever knew.

it mainly has more platforming because it has manual jumping (no autojump sorry). i should really replay it. i don't remember if its actually a good game at all, but it has a lot of "charm".

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »

Should be part of revisiting old 64 platformer series and do a youtube about it Who, Me? i'm interested Who, Me?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »

i lack the gear to capture stuff from my tv and i don't want to use emulators (OG hardware only  Cool)

also im lazy
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »

hipster  Gomez

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2015, 05:49:20 PM »

besides last i checked goemon 64 didn't emulate well (but that wasa few years ago)
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2015, 05:49:44 PM »

thanks sirniko. i remember which memories i mixed up. i remember hearing about how oot was the first game to have auto-jump and 3d lockon combat years ago on tv. lol

silbereisen, that's pretty cool. and manual jumping is better.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »

btw that reminds me i still havent finished banjo tooie and have barely played rocket robot on wheels.

also also ive heard space station silicon valley is good. i also heard that its a more strict puzzle game than the open world n64 platformers i like. has anyone here played it?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2015, 04:32:27 AM »

I've played through Space Station Silicon Valley.

The general gist is each stage starts you from scratch with a different animal and a different set of conditions. Some stages are action oriented, others revolve around some kind of puzzle. Generally you're given a checklist of objectives and you just do them (kill all of a type of enemy, collect three objects, protect penguins through an obstacle course), though sometimes you have to figure out how, or which animal's abilities need to be used. If you die, you start over the stage and sometimes lose a lot of progress, though it's structured so that you can start accessing stages from the next world before completing the previous one. When I played through it years ago, I recall some stages I had to restart many times because I'd get killed by a flurry of rockets launched by huskies until I figured out how to lure them out one at a time and kill them.

It's not a collectathon at all, except that each stage features a hidden trophy you unlock through wildly different means. Sometimes it's given for rescuing all the NPCs in a level, other times for destroying all the objects you find, other times for doing something weird (luring a sheep into a rocket engine). There's a bonus game reward for getting them all, but you have to use a cheat code to do it because one trophy is not coded to let you pick it up. There's no continuity between levels - every time you pick the first level, you start with exactly the same set of skills.

I liked the variety of the levels, and the objectives are almost always paired up with ridiculous dialogue that tries to make narrative sense of what you're being asked to do.

It's kind of clumsy and the difficulty is uneven, but it's a neat concept that manages to stay fun through the game since the objectives vary from one level to the next. It's got very British humor with sort of a Wallace and Grommit vibe to it. I also recall really liking how the levels resemble (cartoony) natural scenes, but you still get the sense that you're in a space station when you spot portholes and speakers mounted on the walls (destroying the speakers makes the music go away). I can't really recommend it unless you're looking for something weird, since it doesn't do anything notable. I enjoyed playing through it, though.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »

i just looked at a gameplay vid. i dig the wallace & gromit vibe but im not sure the game is for me. its funmy what kind of games rockstar/DMA made before they became the game industry's premier EDGELORDS
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »

Body harvest is really good, sssv isnt.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2015, 11:45:04 AM »

what's body harvest?

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »

basically the first 3d gta before gta3 (OR SO IVE HEARD)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2015, 01:02:21 PM »

besides last i checked goemon 64 didn't emulate well (but that wasa few years ago)

I have been reading this lately but as far as I know these days it works just fine (dunno about the system requirements though). Just beware that one part requires analog controls (a bridge that collapses if you run too fast). But yeah,

so it pretty much has to emulate to a decently playable state.

On Goemon as a platformer: honestly I prefer it way more than Super Mario 64, going against like everybody. Yeah sure there are many less moves available, but also I don't have to wrestle when I want to turn around. With SM64 I have the tendency to do the somersault when I just want to hop backwards, and I also tend to end up going in circles around the small boxes because Mario will slowly turn around while still running.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic