Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:13:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat's in a name - do you use your 'real name'?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: What's in a name - do you use your 'real name'?  (Read 31007 times)
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2009, 01:48:57 AM »

I'm often conflicted about using my real name or not. My nickname of 'Dock' is fairly well known in both the indie game scene and (especially) the 'manga' scene.  However, as a result of this, people don't so much know my real name of 'Hayden Scott-Baron'.   

This places me in a difficult situation in terms of 'marketing' of anything I do because my name is splintered across two different brands. I have books published under my real name, for example, but people would unlikely associate them with 'Dock from the internet'.

In general, I feel that it is professionally beneficial to not use psuedonyms.

Derek, Alec, Edmund, Terry, Annabelle, etc have all 'claimed' their own name, and it has become their brand. It would be much more complicated if any of these people had a nickname as an additional layer.

I often go through the doubt of 'should I stop using my nickname...' but somehow I would feel uncomfortable with someone online addressing me as Hayden, not least of which because Dock is also my IRL nickname.

What do you think?

twitter: @docky
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:53:50 AM »

Couldn't you just use your name Dock on the internet normally and publish stuff with Hayden "Dock" Scott-Baron whenever the need arises?
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:58:17 AM »

Couldn't you just use your name Dock on the internet normally and publish stuff with Hayden "Dock" Scott-Baron whenever the need arises?
I do that sometimes, but it's pretty clumsy and feels rather unprofessional. Smiley

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 02:00:56 AM »

Your Wikipedia article calls you Dock as well. And I dunno, maybe you release a game and you want to put it on your resume or something, then it might be good to use your real name?

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:42:49 AM »

Your Wikipedia article calls you Dock as well. And I dunno, maybe you release a game and you want to put it on your resume or something, then it might be good to use your real name?
Heh, wikipedia.  Yeah, but my Mobygames article refers to me as Hayden Scott-Baron (ah, Lostwinds isn't on mobygames!)

This topic isn't really supposed to be about me, as such, but rather about the concept in general. Have any of you ever made the transition from psuedonym to real name in terms of online presense?

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 02:51:16 AM »

I haven't had the problem myself really, since I'm not popular enough for that, but I'd probably have problem with both versions, as both my nickname and my real name aren't very recognizable.

The nick "Don Andy" is pretty generic and unimaginative, while my real name "Andreas Kämper" isn't exactly a name that sticks either.

And naturally, I probably couldn't just go with "Andy" as I'd probably have a hard time establishing myself as THE Andy.

In Germany, "Andreas" and "Kämper" (although often in variations like Kemper) are pretty common names, and from what I've got "Andreas" (or just Andy) is a VERY common name here on TIGSource  :D

But I'm probably going to stick with the "Don Andy" nick. If I ever get my portfolio blog thingy done I'm gonna put my real name in the About Me page and that should be enough.
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:13:02 AM »

I do that sometimes, but it's pretty clumsy and feels rather unprofessional. Smiley

I hate it when people pronounce nicknames between names like that, e.g. Matt "Guitar" Murphy or Lt Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. It sounds rather unwieldy, like both names and neither at the same time. Not that my opinion matters in this case  Tongue

"Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full"
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:40:29 AM »

One thing I am grateful for is that my real name is unique, and easy to search for on amazon, google, etc. 

qrrbrbirlbel
I applaud you for having the username least likely to be referred in speech, ever.

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:50:06 AM »

I used to use an alias, but have almost completely ceased (I may even have an acount on TIGsource under my old alias.. not sure). I find the using an alias, I find the need to change it every six months. My own name however I'm used to being pretty much stuck with.

It also helps that 'isaac' is a fairly uncommon name. There probably isn't room for more than one 'brand' of the same name in the indie community.

r.kachowski
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 03:51:57 AM »

One thing I am grateful for is that my real name is unique, and easy to search for on amazon, google, etc. 

qrrbrbirlbel
I applaud you for having the username least likely to be referred in speech, ever.

It forces interesting insults on xbox live, but also another reason I'll never be famous Grin
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 03:53:00 AM »

I use aliases for forums and such, but when credited in games I use my real name.
I guess the alias is just an old habit.

Today I had an exam where I used "Derek Yu" as alias, think I nailed it. So yeah, might use that one again. Does anyone know if it's free?

Michelle Disraeli
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 05:43:15 AM »

A few years back, I asked a number of professionals about this, and the general agreement was that building up reputation and networks using your real name is a good thing. So here I am Wink Being google-able is probably a good thing, all things told.

I also maintain a professional-yet-somewhat-anonymous username, and some other ones that I'm telling no-one about and can't be linked to me. What's professional stays professional, and what's silly stays far away from work.

When it comes to publishing games and software, I would however recommend publishing under a company name, so as to allow you to more easily get other people involved yet still keep a unified branding.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:10:57 AM by Michelle Disraeli » Logged
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 10:19:44 AM »

This is a problem I've been running into recently as well. I'd like to have my real name attached to my games but my real name isn't terribly unique or memorable, and my SN, mrfredman (which is nowhere near my real name) is already spread far and wide across the internet.

The decision I've made (for now) is that games I release for free online have my online name attached, but the longterm projects I'm working on that I may one day actually try to make money off of get my real name. I'm very used to be addressed as mrfredman, and I don't really feel burdened by it, but I feel like you start using your real name when you graduate from the free-game crowd and start trying to capitalize on your products. There's just  something about using your real name that makes the grownups who deal with money take you more seriously.
dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:23:39 AM »

A few years back, I asked a number of professionals about this, and the general agreement was that building up reputation and networks using your real name is a good thing. So here I am Wink Being google-able is probably a good thing, all things told.

I use my real name, but there are times when you can feel unsure about seeing your name associated with certain projects. Someone told me once that movie directors that didn't want their names on the credits of a movie used the same alias, but I can't remember which.

I also worked on a certain project where my name appeared with a typo in the credits, so even if people google me they will not be able to link me to that project unless I want to.

r.kachowski
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 10:57:01 AM »

Someone told me once that movie directors that didn't want their names on the credits of a movie used the same alias, but I can't remember which.

Alan Smithee?
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 01:02:58 PM »

Have any of you ever made the transition from psuedonym to real name in terms of online presense?

Yes. Wink

dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 02:01:38 PM »

Someone told me once that movie directors that didn't want their names on the credits of a movie used the same alias, but I can't remember which.

Alan Smithee?

Yeah, that was it.  Durr...?

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 02:09:33 PM »

Alternately, I've transitioned from being a reasonably well known figure in the late ninties emulation scene (though not an author, just a site owner) under one nick to being a well known troll on the indie scene as another! Smiley

It can be done! :D

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
adamrobo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 02:36:54 PM »

I think the most important thing is to stay consistent. You want people to notice who you are, remember who you are, and easily find your work. The more names you go by the harder it is going to be to do that.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »

Compromise. Sometimes people call me Paul "RinkuHero" Eres. In some games I'm listed like that in the credits too. I see that format a lot: first name, internet name in quotes, last name.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic