Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:49:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEza (Racing Game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Eza (Racing Game)  (Read 2123 times)
Brainswitch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2014, 04:08:54 AM »

Trying to jump ahead (with a turbo) of the opponents

Eza is a futuristic racing game inspired by games such as Extreme-G, Rock n' Roll Racing and Mario Kart. One notable feature not present in the mentioned games but in Eza is a more free-form race track and checkpoint system - the tracks are generally more open and as long as you pass through (in any direction) the checkpoints you can drive wherever you want.

I am trying to put together (and release) a prototype. I've decided which features I want in it and I am trying not to feature-creep it. Feedback from the very few (I mean, exclusive ;P) gameplay testers have been that the responsive controls takes a bit getting used to but also makes the gameplay feel tight with a nice flow.

Some of the current features:
  • Fast paced gameplay with responsive controls.
  • Multiplayer - both local (2 players) and online (8 players). Online needs more testing though.
  • Power Ups - some standard but also some slightly more interesting. Working on adding more exotic ones.
  • Turbo system - you start with 3, and you gain more during the race by jumping, attack other racers etc.
  • 3 tracks (quite varying but at the same time a bit basic - have quite a few ideas for more... mad tracks) and 1 vehicle

Some features that are missing that's needed for the prototype:
  • Improved interface & map system.
  • Further test 2 of the 3 tracks, optimize 1 and esthetically upgrade 1.
  • At least 1 or 2 more interesting power ups.
  • Another vehicle.
  • Audio - the game currently has no sound effects and no music.
  • Perhaps a league or cup system.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:26:50 AM by Brainswitch » Logged

Brainswitch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 05:16:35 PM »

Been working a bit on this, as well as my Dragon Jam entry (think I need a bit of a jammin' break from Eza, or at least occasional breaks but still game developing).
I've:
Added/fixed a few visual effects (Power Up pickup, different particles spawned when a hit damages and when a hit doesn't etc).
Spruced up and fixed a few bugs in the track Mount Minotaur.
Started adding sound effects (just engine audio so far).
Added a new Power Up weapon, the Singularity Charge. It's a sort of mini black hole, you drop it and (other) cars and projectiles gets drawn towards it until it disappears some seconds later.

The Singularity Charge is the... thing on the left.

jiitype
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »

This looks cool. I've always loved the idea of open tracks, but there's not that many racing games that actually do that (or do it well). Good luck!
Brainswitch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »

This looks cool. I've always loved the idea of open tracks, but there's not that many racing games that actually do that (or do it well). Good luck!
Thanks! I've always liked it too, and we'll have to wait and see how well I pull it off... It is an important part of the games design, but it is not something that I feel must be a large component of every track design. One of the current tracks (Brick Moon) takes place on a space station and in it's current version doesn't allow for much alternate routes - I am working on a redesign and it will allow for more alternate routes but still be more 'fixed'/'confined' (can't come up with the right term) in ways of driving than most other tracks. A new track I am working on is in it's current design very open and allows for many different routes (the AI has suprised me quite a few times).

Today I fixed a few bugs with the local multiplayer interface and guide arrows, here's a screenshot:

Player 1 is struggling to get away, just managed to pick up a Shield...

Also started working on another vehicle, or mainly just trying out a few ideas.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:51:20 PM by Brainswitch » Logged

Brainswitch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:03:41 AM »

Added an offline mode (before you always played online/hosted a server even though it was just you against the AI).

Here is an early gameplay video of track I originally just created to test things (like jumps, and how the AI deal with them, and power ups):

Edit: There are certain bugs which causes the steering to go nuts when multiple speed up power ups (including the on-track booster pads) effects the car. These bugs have been squashed.

The track has more power ups than normal/other tracks, this was originally for testing but if I keep the track I might keep that too. For variety.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:13:39 AM by Brainswitch » Logged

Brainswitch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »

Here's a short progress report of improved or added features (bonus: random screenshot!):

• Destructible objects (for example: the green crystals in the screenshot can be destroyed and shattered). This has also enabled me to make 'neutral/non-racing' cars and other animate objects (like say a race track in a war zone with two groups fighting each other).
  • AI personalities. The AI can now have different 'personalities' such as 'Risk taker', 'Grudge holder' and 'Slow and steady'.
  • Space stars, nebulae and planets as background scenery.
  • Been trying out adding more point lights and light projectors (& animating them), for example on the particle pillars on the 'next/correct' checkpoint. Not sure about the result yet though.
  • Online network testing and improvements.
  • Improved menu interface.

I've received a few PMs about Eza, and have not yet replied to all of them. I am sorry about that and I am getting to it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:09:51 PM by Brainswitch » Logged

Brainswitch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »

Have been making online multiplayer, local multiplayer and split screen multiplayer play nice - with each other but also in general. Now you can play split screen multiplayer online Smiley
Been fixing a few bugs and issues, a few with local split screen multiplayer.
Here's a gameplay video:

(my awesome woman beat me - but it was very close...)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic