Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 03:16:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRobotto Western! (Megaman-like action platformer) :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Robotto Western! (Megaman-like action platformer) :-)  (Read 8813 times)
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 02:11:39 AM »

Amazing man, just amazing
pxloto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 04:43:54 AM »

Thanks, man! I'll be working on a more polished demo from now on!
gnarvin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 07:06:11 AM »

Looks awesome, I love how quick the controls feels. Will you be adding in controller support? I think like games like this feel better when played with controller, but that might be just me.

I watch some Mega Man X speed runs, hope to see people running this at some point too. Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin
Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 07:31:15 AM »

Dude, the parallaxing and stuff is awesome, I'm just getting a really good feeling for this. Good luck man!
Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 07:58:43 AM »

Great work, I love the graphics. Adding controller support would be a fantastic feature for sure. I noticed that the delay of the camera is quite annoying when jumping high - I'd concider fixing it. Wink
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 08:02:23 AM »

The graphics and everything was really awesome. Very well done, and has a really strong 16bit vibe to it. Smiley I didn't like the boss fight though. It was cool idea and the boss itself is amazing! But the fact that you can hit it only before that laser attack, is kinda weird. I think you should be able to hit it in the head all the time atleast. Smiley
Also, it was kinda cruel of you to make us wait in the end at the loading, and then say that the beta is over wihtout giving us anything. Sad I wanted more.. :D

AKWolf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »

I'm really digging the concept art. The animations look super smooth as well.

Working on Poi - A 3D Adventure Platformer
http://poi-game.com

Devlog
Facebook
IndieDB
pxloto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »

Thanks for the feedback and compliments, guys! I really appreciate that. :-) I'll be adjusting the camera Y axis! And yes, there WILL be a controller support. I just haven't figured it out yet... MMF2 is not so friendly when it comes to map controllers. :-( And for the boss strategy I'm still gathering some feedback... So the battle may have some changes! Anyway, guys, thank you A LOT for supporting and commenting. I'm really glad you folks are digging my work. :-)
Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 11:23:27 AM »

Tried the demo, some feedback:

I think you'd be better off with a chiptune soundtrack, no offense. The realistic audio is kinda jarring with the visuals.

The controls feel really smooth and awesome.

I would probably use Z for jumping and X for shooting, as it is now feels kinda off.

I kinda feel like I should be able to crouch and dash? Is that a planned feature?

Otherwise, really nice work!
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 07:33:08 AM »

Just played the demo through. I'd definitely like to try again with a controller but it still played great. Good work, look forward to the next update!
pxloto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »

I think you'd be better off with a chiptune soundtrack, no offense. The realistic audio is kinda jarring with the visuals.

I kinda feel like I should be able to crouch and dash? Is that a planned feature?

I thought about that when I began creting Robotto Western, but since this is my first game I'm trying to keep the scope smaller. Maybe I'll try to add these features on a future project! :D Although they seem simple It's kind hard to implement them now. :-<

Anyway, thanks everybody for the comments! I'll be posting some news soon! :D
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 04:31:01 PM »

Just tried the demo and it was great, just like other people said. Here's a couple of things I noticed:

• The presentation is beautiful (the graphics, music, etc.) Everything is cohesive with the theme and it feels great.
  • The character feels a little bit weird. Like he's "too light" for how he looks. It put me off and took me a while to accept it / get used to it. I saw that some people on the thread said that this felt great, so it's just a matter of preference I guess.
  • The boss made me feel claustrophobic and not in the good sense. I felt like I lacked space to apply what I had learned and it reduced my strategy to just wall jump and shoot him on the face when he was shooting me. It was kind of a let down, honestly. Also, he should have some kind of feedback for when you're actually hitting him.

On this part, I don't know why, but I assumed that was a path I could go into. Maybe because I was presented with spikes just before, and that was a way "out" or something like that. Also, there is a part where you go over fragile platforms and there are two robot enemies waiting under it. It felt a bit unfair.

Anyways, I listed the negative things that I saw during my playtesting, because the rest felt great and worked really well. This game is badass, there's no doubt about it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:20:01 PM by alvarop » Logged

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
pxloto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »

Thank you very much for your feedback, alvarop! That really means a bunch! :-) So, here we go:

• The boss made me feel claustrophobic and not in the good sense. I felt like I lacked spaced to apply what I had learned and it reduced my strategy to just wall jump and shoot him on the face when he was shooting me. It was kind of a let down, honestly. Also, he should have some kind of feedback for when you're actually hitting him.

Some friends os mine said the same thing! It's lacking a little bit of feedback, and I'm aware of that. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make him flash when hit without needing to stop his current animation (that's how MMF2 works). And claustrophobic? I guess I understand what you mean... Maybe it's lacking space. I'll be working on the boss and I'm gonna post more updates here!

On this part, I don't know why, but I assumed that was a path I could go into. Maybe because I was presented with spikes just before, and that was a way "out" or something like that. Also, there is a part where you go over fragile platforms and there are two robot enemies waiting under it. It felt a bit unfair.

I got that! :-) I'm gonna play around with the enemy locations. Maybe they were too unfair for the tutorial stage.

And again, thank you for your feedback, man! :-)
Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 08:21:08 PM »

Holy crap I love a lot about this. I'm just gonna throw out my thoughts.

1. Game overall is beautiful.
2. For the most part I love the character, but dislike his hands and shoulder. Looks unfinished/like cotton balls maybe?
3. Same thing Alvarop posted, that pit right after the spike, I think it'd be a great place to throw in a 1-up or some sort of extra.
4. The enemies were hard to appreciate because they are either too easy or vicious. You can kill them fast and they are no problem, but if you don't they proceed to rock your shit. They're fast, follow you pretty closely, etc. If I didn't get the jump on them right away I found them frustrating.
5. I agree about lack of space on the boss, and there being limited gameplay options. Overall shows a lot of promise though.
6. I loved the music.
7. Game needs sound FX ASAP. Download SFXR and toss some in there for now until you figure out what you want to do.

I really liked it man, keep up the awesome work.

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 01:32:26 AM »

Thank you very much for your feedback, alvarop! That really means a bunch! :-) So, here we go:

• The boss made me feel claustrophobic and not in the good sense. I felt like I lacked spaced to apply what I had learned and it reduced my strategy to just wall jump and shoot him on the face when he was shooting me. It was kind of a let down, honestly. Also, he should have some kind of feedback for when you're actually hitting him.

Some friends os mine said the same thing! It's lacking a little bit of feedback, and I'm aware of that. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make him flash when hit without needing to stop his current animation (that's how MMF2 works). And claustrophobic? I guess I understand what you mean... Maybe it's lacking space. I'll be working on the boss and I'm gonna post more updates here!

I got that! :-) I'm gonna play around with the enemy locations. Maybe they were too unfair for the tutorial stage.

And again, thank you for your feedback, man! :-)

If you want to flash the boss without having a specific animation for it, consider using one of the hardware accelerated shaders of MMF2, and turn it on and off at a certain interval. You may not get the custom flash you're looking for, but you can get some nice ones.[/list]
pxloto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 05:21:54 AM »

If you want to flash the boss without having a specific animation for it, consider using one of the hardware accelerated shaders of MMF2, and turn it on and off at a certain interval. You may not get the custom flash you're looking for, but you can get some nice ones.[/list]

I haven't thought about that! Thanks for the tip, man! :-)
    Storsorgen
    Level 2

View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 05:59:31 AM »

Clickers stick together :D
    pxloto
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #37 on: November 09, 2014, 06:30:27 AM »

Clickers stick together :D

Of course! :-D Do you have a Twitter account or something? :-) If yes, send me a PM! :-D It's always nice to have someone who uses the same engine on your contact list!
    pxloto
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »

Sorry for being absent, guys. End of semester, lots of stuff going on my college! I'm currently working on the cutscenes and designing a new boss. Here's a preview! :-D

The Translocator
    Level 2

View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 03:12:40 PM »

I think that the large blocks should require the charge shots so new players don't miss charge shot like I did... heh

Also, the large circles the boss shot were really annoying. I would suggest making them only create the mini circles UP AND DOWN, because it was really hard to judge where the diagonal shots would go.

Great art, good controls, and nice music, though.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic