Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:47:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio"Whats that Snyth or Instrument?" Thread
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Whats that Snyth or Instrument?" Thread  (Read 3059 times)
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2014, 05:54:53 PM »

So I'm sure you've seen this on other sites, and I have no idea if there is something on here for this already, but I would like to start a "What is that synth or instrument" thread for all the synths from other game music that we like but have no idea what they are (but assume someone may have some insight). Such game soundtracks that have synths or instruments that I would like to figure out would include :

I like to have this thread serve as a place so we can all figure out how to emulate our favorite sounds from game soundtracks for our own use. A lot of the final work I feel comes down to compositional skills, but I don't think it would hurt to help each other out to see if we can make some of these sounds and let everyone know how to do it.

For instance, how to emulate Game Boy sounds, and maybe you don't have a Little Sound DJ cartridge. I looked up tutorials on how to emulate those sounds in Massive. Neat stuff, but there is plenty more bit sounds I like to figure out how to create, and eventually compose better with.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »

Not a bad idea, but it would really help to know which sounds in particular from those soundtracks you are interested in. Final Fantasy VII for instance... is a custom sample set and not based on a chip. Gameboy games on the other hand are based on a chip that produced pulse and noise signals. Sega Genesis used it's own chip with FM synthesis to generate most of it's sounds(had a few pulse channels as well though). Believe it also had a PCM channel for loading custom made sounds so things like a snare drum could be more to the liking of the person creating the music.

So yeah, be more specific rather than just listing the entire game. If you want to use FF7's instrumentation there are plenty of rips of the sounds of it put into SF2 format, and maybe a kontakt version of it... but don't use it commercially as the sounds are copyrighted and technically speaking it's illegal to rip the audio from a game and use it for anything(even private use but I don't think game companies really care that much...)

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »

i'm pretty sure that the examples he gave were, in fact, just loose examples for the purpose of illustrating the thread

unless i misread that

also ftr f-zero gx has a crazy good soundtrack. almost everything there sounds digital synth to me, likely lots of korg triton all over that fucker

EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »

i'm pretty sure that the examples he gave were, in fact, just loose examples for the purpose of illustrating the thread

Exactly. I'll post most specific sounds in due time, but I just wanted to kick things off first.

Thanks for the input so far  ZackParrish.

x has a crazy good soundtrack. almost everything there sounds digital synth to me, likely lots of korg triton all over that fucker
There is a particular synth/guitar sounding thing that I LOVE the heck out of.

The synth does a lot of swells, an it's just soooooooooooooooooooooooo juicy, it's orgasmic to me.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »

that's a 303-alike (i don't think it's an actual 303; the bass isn't quite right); my guess is it's a

EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »

that's a 303-alike (i don't think it's an actual 303; the bass isn't quite right); my guess is it's a

Looks were off to a good start, thanks!

EasterlyArt Facebook
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 06:37:15 AM »

I love this kind of thread, speaking as someone very much into identifying synths used in electronic music. Recently, for instance, I discovered that Mikko Tarmia, frequent composer for Frictional Games, is a Logic user like me. How do I know this? I was perusing through the sounds I have that are built into Logic, and in the process, I discovered two trademark Penumbra sounds in the EXS24 factory library (namely, "Beach Bells" and "Choirpad").

EDIT: Bearing in mind the rules to give sonic examples, this piece from the games is virtually a Choirpad solo.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 09:35:53 AM »

can we please fix the typo in the thread title btw

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 07:59:28 AM »

Ok, since we have this thread, I do have a question. Does anyone know where this slick flute sound is from? I suppose it's a chopped snes soundfont or a sample from the ps1/n64 era. But I can't figure out where it's from exactly.

Starting @ 0:12
https://soundcloud.com/shhsecretsongs/kero-kero-bonito-flamingo
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 10:07:23 AM »

Wow, I guess that was just way too obvious. Thanks!
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »

i've never heard of kkb until you posted that but they clearly love sampling mario 64: https://soundcloud.com/kerokerobonito/sick-beat

medieval
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »

Speaking of sampling, if you ever stop to wonder where you heard this or that sample before, look here: http://www.whosampled.com/

Figured this was a good resource to post here. I haven't dwelled in it much myself, but my brother has been recommending it to me for a long time now and it's definitely interesting
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 03:37:08 AM »

Yeah, whosampled.com sure is amazing! Definitely a way to get lost for a couple of hours .. or days.
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 12:53:32 PM »

Yeah, whosampled.com sure is amazing! Definitely a way to get lost for a couple of hours .. or days.

When it comes to commercial songs sampled from, this is definitely a good resource. However, my reservation, which I'm guessing is also the reservation of the OP, is for sounds that were directly from synthesizers, which are technically not copyrighted songs as such.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic