Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:07:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWanderers - open world adventure roguelike
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Wanderers - open world adventure roguelike  (Read 12632 times)
King Kadelfek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »

Thanks guys! So I did work on a Windows build, and here it is!

GentlemanHand Point Right Download for Windows (32 bit): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70985178/wanderers-2014-10-10.zip
I didn't see at first there was a Windows build. I will definitively give a try. :D

(if you update your first post, more people will see the Windows build)

The weaker (and skinnier) a mob is, the better their magical abilities are. For example, players Constitution CNS < 60 (kg) means that they are quite good spellcasters. 
I like the fact you found a good explanation to make a separation between warriors and magic users. I find that too often the separation is without justification ("you are a mage. period"), or forced by a limited amount of skill points on huge trees.
Your explanation is more roleplay.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 03:33:09 AM »

Love the pixel art style, and the movement has a really great smooth feel. Probably the only annoyance I can see so far is the fog effect--it's somewhat distracting while roguelikes tend to avoid distractions in the interface in order to improve readability and focus on what's immediately important.

Looks like a promising game, although I guess it'll take a while to reach your final goal with this.

koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 03:14:54 PM »

I didn't see at first there was a Windows build. I will definitively give a try. :D
(if you update your first post, more people will see the Windows build)
I like the fact you found a good explanation to make a separation between warriors and magic users. I find that too often the separation is without justification ("you are a mage. period"), or forced by a limited amount of skill points on huge trees.
Your explanation is more roleplay.
Thanks, I agree, I will add the executable to the first post. I'd say that when working on this game, my main design strategy is adding only those features that feel natural and reasonable, avoiding mindless copying. So far, there are no experince points, no levels, no classes, and I will try to keep it this way. To compensate for this lack of development, hopefully, there will be skills that can be learned or trained. Reputation will be an importnat side of the player development, once it's implemented. Actually, it seems to be not that hard.

Love the pixel art style, and the movement has a really great smooth feel. Probably the only annoyance I can see so far is the fog effect--it's somewhat distracting while roguelikes tend to avoid distractions in the interface in order to improve readability and focus on what's immediately important.

Looks like a promising game, although I guess it'll take a while to reach your final goal with this.
Thank you! That's true that the fog looks a bit odd, I'm not exactly sure how to make it better. The only thing I can recommend now is, once you get used to it, it does not feel odd anymore. I think, it makes sense to have a config file, where you can switch it off completely, as well as change the tileset. Actually, it's not hard to implement, but I have not worked this feature yet. I'm happy to hear that you like the graphics, I have to say that I like reading about your project Cogmind quite a lot, for its toughtful game design and its visual awesomeness.

I have to apologize for replying late, the last two months at work were quite tough, but there is a
new update:

1. New map ('M') visualization mode, see the screenshot above. You can move the map cursor with the arrow keys and < >.

2. New debugging command line interface ('*'), with a few simple commands: 'heal', 'item', and 'blink'. Of course, only for testing.

koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 10:13:18 PM »

This is a big update.

1. Added merchants, who are basically travelling shopkeepers. This is a big deal, because not only the player, but all player-like NPCs (actors) can barter with them selling useless loot and buying better equipment.

Merchants are not stationary and can travel like any other NPC, however, when possible they prefer hanging around at markets:

The guys with a dark strap/cloak on their right shoulder are the merchants. This update is quite a big improvement actually, and a lot of new code was added.

2. Added Barter interface and improved visuals for the Inventory. To enter the barter mode, come close to a merchant, press v, choose the tile with the merchant, and press v  or Enter again. The barter mode works the same way as the Inventory mode.

To confirm your purchase, use the Enter key.

3. Fixed a weird bug: Previously, one faction (the orange nation) had more actor NPCs that any other faction. It turns out, the problem was in the way I sample from a discrete distribution (it turns out, it was caused by <= instead of <, but the bug was vary hard to pinpoint and it had a huge effect on the game simulation..)

As a result, non-human factions (the Undeads) start getting a lot more actor NPCs (including merchants), so the underground dungeons are probably a nasty place now. I did not test the the dungeons much this time, but that's what I expect.

4. Unfortunately, I started observing an unpleasant bug: The player, when walking from one region to the other, if collided with another unit, may get stuck in the terrain. It seems, I have to pay for the complex walking mechanics.  Grin

I think, a new Windows build is coming soon! Linux users, get the game from github.

koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 02:05:30 PM »

New logo

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 03:33:38 PM »

Looks great!

koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 02:19:04 PM »

More complex overworld:

Disjoint pieces are connected by underground tunnels:

koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »

Hey guys, a new Windows build is ready!

>>> Download for Windows:
Download the latest Windows build (January, 20, 2015).

How to play: README at Github.

>>> Download for Linux (and probably OSX):
Get the source code from Github. Compilation is straightforward. install the latest ocaml package for your system. Make sure you have your SDL1.2 and OpenGL libraries installed. Then just execute make.

How to play: README at Github
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:44:13 PM by koiwai » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic