Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:47:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGate
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Gate  (Read 14248 times)
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 08:06:59 AM »

Okay, I'm stuck on the second timer one (sorry, forgot the name). I'm concerned that the timing is not consistent between machines. If I go two ticks east, and try to go north (even without a pause) I fall off the side, but if I go 3 ticks east I fall off the east. Had a similar problem with the first timer one. Had to do some serious fandangling to get it to work. Could you post a proven solution on your machine and I'll try it on mine? Or, may I suggest on the second timer one make the north/south path two or three tiles wide.

Sorry I haven't registered on your forums yet. This is just easier for me for now.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 10:45:07 AM »

Okay, I'm stuck on the second timer one (sorry, forgot the name). I'm concerned that the timing is not consistent between machines. If I go two ticks east, and try to go north (even without a pause) I fall off the side, but if I go 3 ticks east I fall off the east. Had a similar problem with the first timer one. Had to do some serious fandangling to get it to work. Could you post a proven solution on your machine and I'll try it on mine? Or, may I suggest on the second timer one make the north/south path two or three tiles wide.

Sorry I haven't registered on your forums yet. This is just easier for me for now.

I also had a go of this one earlier and wasn't able to do it.

*tries out* Just had another go of it, and the timing is now completely different (got a lot more stuff running now than I did earlier). Earlier, thrusting for one 'tick' of the clock..
(with this circuit:)

..was moving the robot more than two tiles, now it's not even moving a whole tile. Definitely an issue that needs looking at. Smiley

increpare
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 10:48:33 AM »

Hah; I was stuck at that one as well.  Managed to get the robot to the top of the puzzle, but couldn't get it to go right again.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »

I think I know how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't because the timer circuit is off. It even acts differently if you hide the circuit view.

I think it's supposed to work by using a switch so that for two ticks it thrusts and on the third tick it switches. Then two thrusts and a switch. Then two thrusts, a switch, but then you'll be home for a tick and you'll win.

I've registered on the OneGirlOneLap forums to mention this, but there's not a lot of activity on the gate section. Hopefully our attention will convince Q to polish this thing a bit.

Q, stop using framerate as a timing mechanism.

Follow me on twitter
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »

Ok I just got to level 22, that game is awesome!!!
I always wanted to do something similar, it's such a great idea for a game!

I'll repeat what others have said before: I hope that you continue working on this, because with more polish the game has the potential to be something even greater than what it is now.

You mention that a perfect game should have no tutorial, and I totally agree: I think what's most needed now is some kind of easier way to play around with the new gates once you get them to get a feel for how they work. I can see how someone who has no idea what a flip flop is would get frustrated and quit. Even better maybe would be to have to build the gates out of simpler ones before you're able to use them.

This is an amazing example of a game as a learning tool: It can probably teach about the basics of logic gates much faster and more efficiently than any textbook would. The only problem is that with the current lack of polish, most people will pass on the oppotunity to learn something.

I'll continue playing, I hope that you end up building a computer on the last level Tongue
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »

Finally beat level 20 and now I'm on level 21. Yee-gads. I got the doors open by doing something similar to a reverse homerun solution, and when it hits the right point switching to a timer circuit off to the side, and then it all goes wrong again. Two ticks to a thrust and it doesn't go far enough. Three ticks and it goes too far. Aargh. I tend to be beating about 1 level a day at this rate. And my solutions are not getting more elegant as I go.

Crayon Physics got nothing on this.

Suggestion. When you enter the radius of a node, any node, make a circle appear around it that you can click and drag on to rotate OR right-mouse click ANYWHERE inside that radius to turn it. Turning the splitting nodes is a royal pain in the patooti with there being only the smallest place to click it, and that being off anyways. If we could turn them as we're placing them would be nice too.

Follow me on twitter
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »

It's a great idea for a game. As it has been mentioned, it needs a bit more polish, particularly in making the interface more transparent. What I would suggest is that placing a gate automatically reverts to the soldering iron, and that the gates can also be placed by dragging. I would also make the circuit view's background completely transparent, and use colors in the 3D space that would not obscure the circuits, so that one can see the circuits and the robot moving at the same time. The area for clicking on things to connect them should be larger. And finally, I believe that some stages are a bit too hard where they are currently, like Either Way II.

So far this game has taught me some things about logical connectives, so, great!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 01:37:08 AM »

Fun game!  I frontpage'd it.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 08:25:38 AM »

Fun game!  I frontpage'd it.
Awesome. I'm probably going to play this game this weekend when I should be working on my site.

Follow me on twitter
Grif
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »

Bug: Loading a circuit will enable you to bring in gates that you shouldn't be able to have.

I uh...accidentally skipped Either Way II that way.

Great game though, really enjoying it.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »

Bug: Loading a circuit will enable you to bring in gates that you shouldn't be able to have.

I uh...accidentally skipped Either Way II that way.

Great game though, really enjoying it.
Heh, I just ran into this bug myself today. I loaded a circuit and got double welded connections with both circuits. I think it happens when you fail to build a good circuit, try again, and load. Then you get the old circuit and the new one on top of each other.

Follow me on twitter
Solved
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 07:33:32 AM »

Lurked here for a long time, only just created an account. There's definitely a bug with the timer, and it gets worse as the levels get harder and you use more components. The timer seems to depend upon how fast the game is actually running. It seems you're using the OS time or something similar to run the timer. It would be better if you synched the times to the speed of the game as currently solutions to timer puzzles will not work correctly all the time. I've got to Devil's Doors with this problem but it's almost impossible to solve this level with the timers in their current state.

I see a lot of people got stuck on level 9, the only reason I could solve it is I did electronics as a GCSE, it might have been best to put this level later on in the game. For all those that are stuck NOT(NOT a AND NOT b) is the same as OR.

EDIT: Sorry I meant level 9
EDIT: Posted pic of solution to level 9
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:13:23 AM by Solved » Logged
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 07:43:39 AM »

Lurked here for a long time, only just created an account. There's definitely a bug with the timer, and it gets worse as the levels get harder and you use more components. The timer seems to depend upon how fast the game is actually running. It seems you're using the OS time or something similar to run the timer. It would be better if you synched the times to the speed of the game as currently solutions to timer puzzles will not work correctly all the time. I've got to Devil's Doors with this problem but it's almost impossible to solve this level with the timers in their current state.

I see a lot of people got stuck on level 8, the only reason I could solve it is I did electronics as a GCSE, it might have been best to put this level later on in the game. For all those that are stuck NOT(NOT a AND NOT b) is the same as OR.
That makes for 3 not gates and an and gate, two before and two after. And I think you're talking about level 12 with that one. The way I solved it was a not gate on the left thruster and an and gate on the right thruster so that when the top and bottom thrusters are touched it reverse thrusted. In retrospect it would have also worked to just put the and gate to the not gate. Yup, that worked.

I should take screenshots of my solutions and post them.

Follow me on twitter
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 10:17:03 AM »

serious, I can't get past either way II!

is the circuit supposed to be an and one? or a or one?

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
thewaffleman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 02:06:10 PM »

I'm stuck on level 15, Once and Again. I managed to beat 14 on accident while experimenting with the flip-flop. Is it supposed to be a set-reset or toggle flip-flop? I'm assuming it's not a JK or D, but I couldn't say that for sure without messing around with it. I was kind of upset to have "flip-flop" dumped on me without any introduction or explanation. It would be nice to at least have an input/output table to reference when placing a component. I don't even have an easy way of working one out myself because I can't directly control any of the inputs.

If the intention was to help people learn about logic gates, then there needs to be some more explanation of how the gates work and what they can do.

I think the user interface is kind of clunky. Wires get messy real fast, and turning/moving gates is a pain. You can only manipulate gates with the soldering iron(?). Taps are aggravating; not only are they impossible to manipulate, but they can't be put into an existing wire. I have to rewire gates when I need to send an output to a second input. It would be better to allow multiple wires to come from each output so I can tap a wire on the fly.

All in all, this is a fun game, but it doesn't seem worth the hassle to play. I'd rather dust off my old digital logic textbooks and put pencil to paper than play this game.

I also noticed that by leaving a not gate without an input, it always returns True. I'm not sure if that helps at all later on, but by using one or two not gates, you can get always True and always False values.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2009, 04:42:20 AM »

This is great fun. Like others, I'm having trouble with the Timer circuit and feel I can't really beat Saving Nine II before the framerate dependence issue is resolved, so if you ever get around to fixing that it would be greatly appreciated. Smiley
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 09:25:35 AM »

I also noticed that by leaving a not gate without an input, it always returns True. I'm not sure if that helps at all later on, but by using one or two not gates, you can get always True and always False values.
This is correct. Not gates without input give a constant true status. And yes, that's useful several times.

Follow me on twitter
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »

serious, I can't get past either way II!

is the circuit supposed to be an and one? or a or one?
lol, I didn't see the other post :p

This game's fun, but I can't get past level 15 now. I guess that I'm just a circuitry n00b Big Laff

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 03:12:25 PM »

Okay, I thought I'd help folks get through the levels they're stuck on, hoping someone will do the same for me. But since I know the sadness of a barren forum, I decided to post my solutions on the official gate forum.

But if you want to reply here I wouldn't hold it against you.

Follow me on twitter
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 11:33:28 AM »

I'm up to level 21 and I need to write a left hand algorithm for navigating a maze. I've got an idea about how to do this, but I feel like I'm going to have to plan the blasted thing out on paper before I program it.

Anyone have any hints?

Follow me on twitter
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic