Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:38:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallIA: New Site Design
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: IA: New Site Design  (Read 6450 times)
Christopher
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 04:12:14 AM »

You can't please everyone. Haha. However, I feel the need to step in and defend good ol' black on white.

Firstly, having a high contrast between the text color and background color is considered good practice when it comes to accessibility issues. For users with vision issues such as poor eyesight or color blindness, dark text on a light background is generally considered the most readable. For reference: http://www.w3.org/TR/AERT#color-contrast

Secondly, although all of the research I'm familiar with concludes that dark on light text is by far the most legible for the majority of users, (http://www.laurenscharff.com/research/survreslts.html) I think it's safe to say that a good portion of people find light text on a dark background easier to read. Some of that has to do with monitor settings, viewing angle, and ambient room brightness, but I think a lot of it is just personal preference.

I realize that opinions on the subject vary, and like every designer, on occasion I make a foray into the world of light text on a dark background. However, in this case I'd rather choose to go with what research and web standards agree on. Again, you can't please everyone.

/rant

Smiley
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 12:53:02 PM »

I believe the problem is pure black against pure white, which creates a harsh contrast. Even pure white against pure black is very harsh, though still easier on the eyes.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »

It's clean, I like that.  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic