Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:03:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlitz Breaker - [OUT NOW ON iOS]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Blitz Breaker - [OUT NOW ON iOS]  (Read 29151 times)
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 09:53:28 PM »

Lot's of refining and problem solving, gonna make a gameplay video soon. In the meantime, here are the start of some rocket launchers. The missiles are fast and slightly seek.

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:26 AM »

Heyo heyo,

Quick update on a few things.

First: Blitz Breaker is now on IndieDB! Here's a link (button didn't work):
http://www.slidedb.com/games/blitz-breaker

Second: There is still a gameplay video inbound, I should be able to release it this week. A small alpha build will follow soon after, posted on GameJolt.

Third: There's a Tumblr as well! For a more streamlined pic blogging mechanism: http://bonchogames.tumblr.com/
I'd be happy to follow anyone who follows me for some cross promoting. Lemme know!

Fourth: Description has been changed to "One Handed Platformer" as I have changed the PC controls to work with one hand. This will be lefty friendly as well.

And since I cannot leave a post without a picture, here is an early shot at a laser cannon:

So many ways to die. Anyways, that's that. Have a good one everyboday!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:04:06 PM by blekdar » Logged

Overman
Level 0

Kid Genius

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 08:45:13 AM »

Looks great so far, though I must agree about the font not being so good.

Love how consistent you are with the devlog. So interesting to watch this take shape over time.

Will be keeping an "eye" on this project .  Blink  Well, hello there!

Genius game developer.
Me latest game: Rowan
http://www.overman-gaming.com
@OvermanGaming
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 09:07:24 AM »

Interesting input concept. Coming up with a control scheme for core games like platformers that works for mobile (and isn't just virtual d-pads and buttons) always fascinates me.

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 09:40:19 PM »

Looks great so far, though I must agree about the font not being so good.

Love how consistent you are with the devlog. So interesting to watch this take shape over time.

Will be keeping an "eye" on this project .  Blink  Well, hello there!

Thanks, I've had a bit of a love hate relationship with the font. For now it does what I want it to do aptly, but this could change in the future. It looks decent on a phone screen however. The resolution on some these gifs skews it a bit.

Interesting input concept. Coming up with a control scheme for core games like platformers that works for mobile (and isn't just virtual d-pads and buttons) always fascinates me.

Not even kidding, that was probably 90% of the inspiration to start making this. Trying to make a non-auto runner fast paced platformer with controls to match. Aim to keep everything fresh with simple + effective controls.

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 10:32:35 AM »

And if we look below, here is the first 'official' gameplay video. Recorded off the PC version, it showcases some gameplay from the first World, and me dying a few times.

So here you go, watch it in 720p60 if you can. It shows off how smooth it plays.

Let me know what you think!

DwarvenArtisan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 01:18:57 AM »

phew! that looks really great. I like the idea and think it's perfect for casual mobile players like me, allthough it looks quite challenging! Smiley
Keep up the good work! *following*

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 01:42:33 PM »

Hey look, 2000+ views. You guys are pretty awesome. Thanks for all the support!

On a different note: Look, some coverage. Thought this was pretty cool.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/BlitzBreaker/news.asp?c=63914

http://toucharcade.com/2015/02/12/blitz-breaker-announced/

Phasesaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 03:05:40 AM »

I love the whole "everything is trying to kill you". I'd love to see some killer robot-animals that escaped the test lab as bosses or something.

Mainly a Java coder, though I dabble in websites.<br />https://github.com/Phasesaber
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »

Hey, relatively minor update here. I've mostly been getting it ready for some public testing, but got some stuff to show off.

First off, got a new website going (just a fork off of Tumblr) which serves has a bit of a press kit for now. I will update it with new screenshots and the official trailer in the coming months:

http://bonchogames.com/blitzbreaker

Starting working on a new mechanic as well: Water! Simple really, water slows you down, but also messes with your gravity / bounciness. Found I can use to introduce some extremely precision based obstacle courses, but also can introduce some basic wall jumping. Here's a vine showing some of that off:

https://vine.co/v/O2bgIIHOK7t

Does anyone know how to embed vines?

Alpha is incoming too! Going to load the html version on Gamejolt to get some public feedback on the first area and mechanics, just need to tighten up a few more things before hand!

I love the whole "everything is trying to kill you". I'd love to see some killer robot-animals that escaped the test lab as bosses or something.

Got a bit of inspiration for this, so I did a concept for a potential boss. I *might* change this to make it easier to animate. Thanks man!

Ok, that's it for now. That was a bit bigger than I thought. Cheers!

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 07:17:26 AM »

Hey everyone!

So here's a playable build. You guys should try it out:

http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/blitz-breaker-alpha/48677/

You can play it with keyboard controls, but the mouse controls are around the same level as touch. If you want to know how the mobile version will play later this year, try it out that way.

Let me know what you think!

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »

Apparently there is an issue with the slash screen hanging. Refreshing the page seems to fix that.

I'll switch it for an actual downloadable version later today to get around this. If you feel like playing it before then, you may have to refresh the page.

Bret Hudson
Level 0

Game & Web Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 05:48:20 PM »

Tried this earlier - really fantastic! I'd love to try it out on mobile sometime. Going to leave some more feedback after I've played some more.

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 08:30:22 PM »

Tried this earlier - really fantastic! I'd love to try it out on mobile sometime. Going to leave some more feedback after I've played some more.

Thanks man. I appreciate the feedback you gave earlier.

I have uploaded downloadable versions of the game onto the gamejolt page, for PC, osx and linux. This is in canse the html version doesn't work for anyone, there have been a few hiccups.

Also, I may be looking at doing a small alpha for the iOS / android builds. Would anyone here be interested in trying it out? Let me know and we can get it sorted out.

Have a great evening everyone!

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »

Some concepts for future bosses/encounters. Inspired by Mega Man.

I want to animated these guys, but probably won't go too crazy on them. Anyways let me know what you think!

Dragon serpent thing. Don't have a name for him.

The mighty robotcopus. He demands hugs.

ENDESGA
Level 2

Located on the first galaxy in the Heptaverse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »

Aw man, this game looks really fun! I love the style, and definitely love the concept powering it  Kiss

Very nice man Smiley

TWITTER    |    NYKRA DEVLOG
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 07:12:20 AM »

@endesga: Thanks man! Appreciate it, and I really dig Nikra!

New build on gamejolt:

Multiple bug fixes and optimizations:

- Fixed a bug that caused the player to hang in the void of nothingness if hitting the collapsing platforms at just the right moment
- Made the rainbow trail less...breaky? Smoother mainly
- Removed a non needed special pixel from a level
- Penguins fed
- Deaths are now context sensitive, giving you a different message depending on your method of death
- Optimized the death system a bunch of times
- Other things that I can't remember

Essentially this will be the demo I use to show off the concept of the game. I am not sure if it will be a demo for just pc, or if I'll make it a demo for mobile platforms as well. I realize that ftp is the way to make money on mobile platforms, but I'd rather not eschew enjoyment for some cash. I'd probably just have a paywall after the first world.

Anyways, monetizing is a conversation for another day. You guys give it a playthrough and lemme know what you think!

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 12:34:14 AM »

This looks really fun and a big thumbs up for robotcopus  Smiley 
I like the addition of small elements of colour since your original post, the rainbow trail is an especially nice touch.
Looking forward to playing it, though it does look pretty challenging

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 07:14:49 AM »

Alright, so first up: There's a new build at game jolt, fixing some bugs and making the save system actually work properly. Check it out here:

And now for the developer's log:

I got a lot of positive comments and criticism for the alpha, and was able to fix a lot of bugs I wouldn't have otherwise known about. Thank you to everyone who was playing it and delivering feedback, I truly appreciate it.

So what's new?

New game mechanics, that's what! Let's go through them:

Silver keys, collecting these causes the conveyor belts to reverse directions. Makes for some nifty little backtracking levels like this:

I've shown off water before, but only in a blurry vine. Water's premise is simple, slows you down. It also makes you jumps higher, and your bounces. It also makes for some great precision based stages, since you have more time to gauge your jumps. Have a look here:

I've got some stages plan that basically call for wall jumping using this bouncy-ness.

Last up! Magnetic platforms, these are simple: Hit the blue part, you stick. Don't, and you bounce off, probably to your death. This stage explains that:

Also, while I don't have any screenshots of it I also added some context sensitive death flavour text. You some randomized messages depending on what caused your death. Some instances include:

'Spikes to meet you'
'Airated'
'Mineswept'

Just to name a few, there's gonna be a lot of them when all is said and done.

Anyways, that's it for now, let me know what you think and all that. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:23:57 AM by blekdar » Logged

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »

Also, on the off chance any of you happen to use a windows Tablet, or use the windows store for desktop; you can now get the alpha there too! Huzzah!

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/blitz-breaker-alpha/d3d9e6f1-caa8-44c3-b661-334155f6e069

Runs really well on those tablets if I may add.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic