Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlitz Breaker - [OUT NOW ON iOS]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Blitz Breaker - [OUT NOW ON iOS]  (Read 29134 times)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »

Cool to see you have a devlog here. I'm a big fan of twitch/hard-as-nails games, been anticipating this since the Pocket Gamer preview last month. I really like you've designed all these mechanics around the simple swipe-to-move controls

Edit: build seems a bit bugged on Game Jolt. I can get to the level select screen, but can't progress further. Space, Enter, using the arrow keys, etc., can't select a level

As for F2P vs paid, personally I prefer paid, but the free and ad-supported or free with a full game unlock are the best F2P models IMO. I've read enough comments to know that a lot of the IOS community feels a few bucks is to expensive to pay for a game, so by releasing free, you bypass that hurdle while also allowing those who enjoy the game buy the $1 - $3 to remove ads or unlock the game.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:21:35 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »

It's funny, I was gonna email you about my game Christian. Convenient timing really.

It works for me, but I've heard another user having that same issue. May I ask what browser you're using? I've been using chrome, maybe it makes a difference.

Well at any rate, here are PC versions you guys can try out. Should work well. Some GPUs get blacklisted however, this is a Chromium issue, and causes a couple minor graphical issues:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0jnTNW7y4-YfmJRemI0SGxtZjRLakJUN1FPTU8xNGxOWUkyUFc2a2lqdEEzMUpxYzJ2cG8&authuser=0

Also, if you like I can provision an iOS build for you to try out. It runs well on iPhone 5S and above (it loses some framerate on iPhone 5 in some areas, but it's good otherwise) and iPad.

My issue with FTP, is ads mainly. I would prefer to just make it a straight up paid app, but you're right, not everyone will be down for that. I may have the first world free, and allow users to pay to unlock the remaining content. I have read very conflicting arguments regarding that though, and am unsure of that.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:34:31 AM by blekdar » Logged

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 09:30:39 AM »

Edit: build seems a bit bugged on Game Jolt. I can get to the level select screen, but can't progress further. Space, Enter, using the arrow keys, etc., can't select a level

Dumb question, but have you tried using the mouse? I haven't actually enabled the ability to select a level with the keyboard yet.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »

Dumb question, but have you tried using the mouse? I haven't actually enabled the ability to select a level with the keyboard yet.
I did try the mouse. Clicking on the level select icons dont do anything

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
AxezDNyde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 03:07:26 AM »

Very soothing to watch!

Inspired by Mega Man.

May be a little too close to the original. At least had me shouting Snake Man before I read the text.

Axez, Grant Ed.
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »

Very soothing to watch!

Inspired by Mega Man.

May be a little too close to the original. At least had me shouting Snake Man before I read the text.

Thanks for the compliment.

And yeah, it does draw the comparison rather starkly. I haven't finalized the design but I'll work on tweaking it to make it stand on it's own a bit more. Thanks again!

Just finished my days off, so back to work on this. Lots to do.

The guys over at appspy/pocket gamer did a preview of the game a couple days ago. He's pretty psyched about it so I was thrilled about that!

Also, holy shit 3500+ views! You guys are awesome!

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2015, 06:35:12 AM »

So I mentioned that there are context sensitive death messages. Just thought I'd elaborate on that a bit. Depending on what kills you (cause you die a lot), you get a randomized message depending on what killed you. For example, here are some groan worthy puns (some of my favorites):

The messages can also be just descriptive as well (ie. shanked, aerated, crushed, etc.)

Full dev log update coming this week I hope, so stay tuned.

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2015, 07:02:45 PM »

Been crunching away, getting the next builds ready to show off. Here's a couple new things:

It wasn't really obvious what coins did, so I made it more obvious:

Also, since water changes your gravity (cause water, duh). This gives you the amazing ability to wall jump! Gives some great new challenges as well:

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2015, 08:39:30 PM »

There's a new build, new optimizations and the next area.

Go play it here and let me know how many things I broke: http://boncho-games.itch.io/blitz-breaker-alpha

The leaderboard button still doesn't work.

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2015, 09:09:20 AM »

Another new build, more minor changes.

This addresses some menu issues, and has the correct control prompts for the PC version.
Also changed up world menu navigation, made it more simple and obvious.

Give it a play here: http://boncho-games.itch.io/blitz-breaker-alpha

Thanks everyone!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2015, 04:00:46 PM »

Wow. This was a surprisingly addictive game. Sat down to glance at it and spent way more time playing that I expected. Satisfying controls and while I got aggravated a few times, the game felt precise and always achievable. Will definitely play more.

Fat Bard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2015, 07:27:09 AM »

We got a couple more tunes on our Blitz Breaker Sneak Peek Bandcamp page. Check em out, or just simply play the game Smiley. The Warp Zone Theme you'll probably hear on repeat a few times for World 2-1, man that second section of it is tough!

https://fatbard.bandcamp.com/album/blitz-breaker-sneak-preview

Fat Bard - We make memorable music and sound FX
http://www.fatbard.com
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2015, 07:11:55 AM »

The soundtrack is seriously awesome guys. You should all go listen to it. Now, go.

As for what I've been working on, here's a work in progress shot of the second boss fight.

I guess you could call it a more 'traditional' boss fight. Still though, I like where it's going. I may post a video of the fight in the coming days.

johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2015, 01:54:18 PM »

Solid so far, I think you and I share a lot of similar design principles.

Here are some things I found with the new build:
  • "Robot's First Maze" seems like its trying to introduce the withering platforms, but I zoomed through the level without landing, and so did Peter in the AppSpy video. I would recommend putting 1 coin on top of the platform to encourage players to land there.
  • Pressing space at the very beginning of the recap screen reliably induces a game-ending black screen. I noticed this in the 1-1 recap. I was hammering space to skip to the next level because I'm impatient. Not sure if this would be a problem on mobile.
  • In the vertically separated levels, it is possible to mess up the transition by initiating a blitz (swiping) during the camera transition. In one level, I was falling from the upper screen to the lower screen, and I blitzed to the side while the camera was switching to the lower screen. The player character hit a ledge corner and managed to stay in the upper screen.

Hope this is helpful!

Unbroken: A Souls-inspired mobile hack n' slash
Devlog
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »

Solid so far, I think you and I share a lot of similar design principles.

Here are some things I found with the new build:
  • "Robot's First Maze" seems like its trying to introduce the withering platforms, but I zoomed through the level without landing, and so did Peter in the AppSpy video. I would recommend putting 1 coin on top of the platform to encourage players to land there.
  • Pressing space at the very beginning of the recap screen reliably induces a game-ending black screen. I noticed this in the 1-1 recap. I was hammering space to skip to the next level because I'm impatient. Not sure if this would be a problem on mobile.
  • In the vertically separated levels, it is possible to mess up the transition by initiating a blitz (swiping) during the camera transition. In one level, I was falling from the upper screen to the lower screen, and I blitzed to the side while the camera was switching to the lower screen. The player character hit a ledge corner and managed to stay in the upper screen.

Hope this is helpful!

Damn right this is helpful. Thanks! These are some great tips and some great feedback.

1. I really like this suggestion, this will be in the next build for sure.
2. Dammit, this was a left over from the temp keyboard controls. I'll patch this right up.
3. Huh, you know I managed to pull this off once but haven't been able to since. I'll look into this one. I do have a rough idea of why it happens though, so thank you for pointing this out.

Thanks again, I'll be working on the next build once I get back to work.

Cheers!

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2015, 08:20:13 PM »

Back to work it is.

I implemented some simple water and splash animations.

dimoxinil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2015, 02:09:03 AM »

I've been trying the game. I should say that I believe that it is a really fun and highly addictive twitch
platformer game. You get with the game mechanics almost instantly and the game art... it's just amazing.

I just feel like the difficulty curve a bit high, but this could be due to my poor abilities. I believe that the latter is the right way  Embarrassed

Try this game and you will be completely satisfied.
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »

Thanks dimoxinil, appreciate the kind words. Not gonna lie though, it's probably gonna get pretty hard later on. It does flatten out a bit in the second world (at least I think it does), that's mainly because it introduces new platforming mechanics, so I can't make it that hard there.

I just feel like the difficulty curve a bit high, but this could be due to my poor abilities. I believe that the latter is the right way

Ah practice makes perfect man. I once spent I think 2 hours on a super meat boy level. It was not pretty...at all.

SO! I'm adding alternate character heads/hats/sombreros/things as unlocks for collecting stars. They don't do anything, they just look different. I'm open to ideas on head designs, I can implement new ones fairly easily.

Here's a skull to demonstrate:

I also plan on charging $2 a piece, because valve did so I can too.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2015, 05:06:29 AM »

Hats are a cool idea. Now you just need "unusual" hats...

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2015, 07:45:07 AM »

Hats are a cool idea. Now you just need "unusual" hats...

Thanks! That's the idea, make a few 'outlandish' ones. I have some ideas going but need quite a few more.

What I plan on making for the next major build:

Skull (done)
Wolf
Fiesta/Sombrero
Chicken
Octopus - Secret reward after the second boss

But I plan on adding quite a few in the release version.  Open to suggestions if you got any.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic