Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:46:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFour Realms - Action strategy RPG in the animal kingdoms
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Four Realms - Action strategy RPG in the animal kingdoms  (Read 13405 times)
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 02:43:21 PM »

Polish

I've done a lot of small things to improve the overall look and feel of the game. Many are small annoying bugs I should have addressed a long time ago such as the "sliding" bug when a character walks over a small bump. Others focused more on visuals such as a host of small effects updates. Check out the new fire!

Or the new Trap warning!

I also took the opportunity to update the Waystones. OK so no one was too keen to carve their initials in the game. But these are still a huge part of Four Realms. So now they are spiffy and realm specific. It adds a touch of flavor and looks nicer.

But hey getting a new spell is a big deal, a new stone is not enough. Gone is the rinky dink warning pop up when you get a new spell. Now you get a proper banner (similar to the new objective) plus a little audio fanfare. Aw, yeah, you win wizard!

Computers Cost Money

A bit of bad news. There is no plans for a Linux or Mac build of Four Realms in the immediate future. I thought I could do a simple zip file, but, well there's more to it and the time and money constraints put this out of budget for the game at the moment.

My own personal computer died, so I lost a week of work. Ugh, indie dev means poor! But it ain't gonna stop me.

Music & SFX

I also took a moment to do as full a pass at audio for free as I can. I gotta say some of this stuff turned out great! It's hard to tell what you can get for free, but if you dig enough you'll find some good things. I have to give a big thanks to everyone who donates free audio.

And a new credits screen to acknowledge all those that have helped! (Gif doesn't show all the credits!)

Obviously some of it will need to be replaced with licensed work. I'm looking at you animal babble/gibberish/talking effect. I found something close, but I don't think it quite works. But on the whole I'm quite pleased.

And a huge thanks to Steven O'Brien. His work will be the music of the game. It's some great stuff that has a modern fantasy feel. Check out some of it now!

Steven O'Brien

New Demo

Oh, and don't forget. All this good stuff is wrapped up in a new demo.

Four Realms Demo

As always thanks for reading and feel free to leave an feedback.

Thanks

-Del

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »

The Story So Far

I waited a long time before implementing generated levels. It was a bit of a mistake, but to be fair, I wasn't sure how to work it. I kept thinking about it but I kept stumbling when starting. I was making two big mistakes.

The first would be solved with time. Four Realms is an odd duck of a game. I don't think until I hit alpha I had a great feel for how levels were setup and worked. But once I hit that stage I had the knowledge to break the levels in chunks.

The second would be solved by general game dev research. I kept approaching it as procedural level generation. Turns out, I don't really care about the procedural part. Instead I found this article detailing Spelunky level generation:

http://tinysubversions.com/spelunkyGen/

And that led to me realizing how to go about it for Four Realms.

How It's Done (Rooms)

Basically instead of creating and eroding terrain and speckling it with flora ala procedural. I just create rooms that simulate game levels and stack them together. Here you can see two of the rooms, 1800x1800 pixels.

Each room contains about 1/6 the stuff in a normal level. The generator grabs six of them and stitches them together. It's admittedly a "big brush", but I find this does pretty well for creating the good paths you find in Four Realms while still creating a random unique level.

Then the generator takes these pieces to and uses some heuristics to make each different for each realm. It skins each level appropriately to the realm and only uses rooms from the current and adjacent realms. Rooms are also broken into top and bottom categories.

There's some more random bits to it than that, but that's the essence of level generation in Four Realms.

Secret Entrances

The level generator was a bit buggy and needed more work than I hoped, but I did find time to add one new feature. Secret Rooms! Any creature that can see invisible objects will see through these and find new paths.

As always, thanks for reading. All feedback, questions, and suggestions are welcome!

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2016, 06:07:55 AM »

As you may have noticed Four Realms got a make over. OK. A lot of this is marketing stuff, but it helps the game look better too! Check out whats new with Four Realms.

Demo, Dialogue, SFX
A small update has been done to the SFX. Just replacing a few missing sounds and a few of the rougher sounds. The text has also been updated to be a bit less goofy and more in line with the final game. These changes as well as the new logo are in the latest demo!

New Logo!
I finally update the logo, ugh it was bad. But the new one looks quite a bit better. I'm no pro graphic designer, but it works. I took heavy inspiration from the Animal Crossing and Hearthstone logos. A nice woody and thick thing that pops out. I also kept each realms emblem. I think it's nice touch.

And with a new logo comes new box art. I really like the brown on brown complementation that is really striking and highlights the characters.

New Trailer!!
Hey, if you have a new logo, you should probably make a new trailer!

I know it's not some awesome Hollywood style thing you see with other games, but I feel it's a huge improvement over the last trailer.

The last one tried to sell the story too much and took to long to get the meat of the game. This one is more like a gameplay snippet and shows whats so awesome about the game. And yeah, I plan to do one for each of the Wardens, so keep your eyes open!

New Website
If you haven't yet been, check out the Hugebot! website, it got a clean it up too. Lots of new gifs and pngs for those that like to ogle the game. Also, if you are really interested in the nitty gritty of gamedev, check out the Greenlight Post Mortem.

As a side note I'm happy I got this update out in less than a month, I'll do my best to increase this trend! Thanks as always for reading. All questions, suggestions, and comments are welcome!

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2016, 06:05:40 AM »

Defend Yourself

The final set of items have been added. Seven new pieces of equipment and a few updated or changed. The biggest additions are shields. I wanted a little more development for the Warden throughout the game as well as a bit more ability to customize the look. So, I added the obvious equipment slot, shields.

Since blocking has become a primary action I decided it need a little more love, so when a creature blocks it becomes almost like a parry, stunning the opposing beast for a few frames and leaving a brief opening. I like the addition, but it need a little tweaking still.

Now, not all items for the slots are shields. The slot essentially sets the right click action for the Warden, I decided to take advantage of that so there are a few unique and different items for you to discover.

In addition to shields, the classic scepters have been turned into swords, cause you know it's what you want! And that brings the total items in game up to 52. One more skill has been added bringing that total to 14.

Home Sweet Home

For those that haven't tried the game yet, tents are ways of adding a secondary skill to your Warden. Five new tents have been added to the game, all unlockable by completing the game either with various difficulties or different Wardens. I'd tell you more, but I don't want to spoil the discovery.

Also the final two guides have been added to the game, these little guys change up the dialogue in the game to add variety on multiple playthroughs, this brings the total of those up to four.

Room to Grow

Eight more rooms have been added to the Level Generator mix, bringing the total to 24 for a large variety of layouts while playing the game.

And what's the fun of more levels without corresponding missions? Two more missions have been added that now feature beasts corrupted by the Wild Magic. This brings the total missions in game up to 36. Check out the new hats!

The Final Countdown!

You may have noticed on some of these I've said final count. That's right, this is final push towards beta and early access. Those of you waiting to play the full game, it's coming soon! Now I say final, but the game is designed to be expandable, so if there is time to add more during beta I most assuredly will. Now let's look at those tallies!

Final
  • 52 Items (Weapons, Accessories, Crowns, Shields)
  • 14 Skills
  • 7 Tents
  • 4 Guides
  • 24 Rooms (Level Generator)

Not Final
  • 2 Wardens
  • 16 Unique Levels
  • 36 Missions
  • 28 Summon Spells
  • 32 Non-Summon Spells (Spells, Structures & Enchantments)

Guess what I'm working on next? As always, thanks for reading. All questions, suggestions, and other feedback is welcome.

-Del

PS: Sorry, no updated demo, that'll come after the content push.

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2016, 12:04:38 PM »

Wardens!
Yes, the final two Wardens are in! (Sorry, not available in the demo.) I've revealed what they are but I'll save what their specialties are for when you get to try them in game. Without further ado; here are the Guinea Pig and Spotted Kiwi running!

Exploration Levels
I've also added two more Exploration levels, one for the Water Realm and one for the Earth Realm. Earth Level 5 one is a fun tromp through a city of trees. Water Level 5 is a swim in to the depths of a great lake!

In addition to two levels there is one more mission for the Exploration Levels. Much like the last two levels added this one focuses on battling the Wild Magic.

An Explanation of Levels
I suspect most people don't know how the levels work in Four Realms and the demo is not the best indicator, so for those interested in the nitty gritty details here's how it works.

Levels are a random combination of a layout and a mission. The layout of course being just how the level looks and feels; big trees or on a desert. The mission is what you are doing there, rescuing lost eaglets or proving your worth to the locals. Since it's a combination of any layout and any mission. That means when you play the game a second (or third or fourth) time, even if you see the same layout or mission, the same combination is unlikely, creating a unique play through every time.

But wait there's more! In addition to that there are three types of mission/layouts.

Adventure: Adventure levels are the more standard levels in Four Realms. They contain a healthy mix of action, combat, exploration, and puzzles. These are what you will see most often.

Assault/Defense: These levels are smaller in size compared to Adventure levels, but this leaves room for more combat!

Exploration: These levels are larger than Adventure levels, these ones are intended to focus on puzzles and exploration. This is the type of levels that I've just added in this pass.

But wait, there is even more that that! Some levels are hand crafted by me to create a sense of place and adventure, those are what I call the Unique levels. All Assault, Defense, and Exploration levels are unique, and so are a few Adventure.

Some levels are generated by stitching together some rooms (see the last couple of posts.) Only Adventure levels are created like this. Generated levels will make up about half the content you will see.

The Push for Beta
OK, if you've been following along yo know I'm pushing to get the game into Beta phase. But the last missed something that I missed the last round, I have to polish end game content. So to be spoiler free, you won't see much in the form of a post for awhile, but don't worry, I'll be hitting up the final list again shortly. Here's the list as it stand now.

Final

4 Wardens
52 Items (Weapons, Accessories, Crowns, Shields)
14 Skills
7 Tents
4 Guides
24 Rooms (Level Generator)
Not Final

18 Unique Levels
35 Missions
28 Summons
32 Non-Summon(Spells, Structures & Enchantments)
As always thanks for reading! All questions, suggestions, and feedback are welcome.

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2016, 01:39:44 PM »

End Game Bits

I had to spend a bit of time cleaning up the end game. The Wild Magic enemies now have new animations and the Wild Magic itself got a bit of spring cleaning. Here you can see the new Wild Magic, gone is the ugly yellow!

And here is a peak at a Wild Magic enemy!

It's weird, I know, but I like it. I also added a few more final level missions and let the final level pull from the Level Generator.

Victory!

In addition to sprucing up the ending levels, I added a proper victory screen! It now tallies up a score for those who want to improve and it features unlockables!

Final Levels

[p]If you read the last post I detailed all the variations that can go into a level. Well, here are the final two Assault levels for those who want more action! The first is Fire Assault Level, a fortress buried in a mountain.

And here is the Air Assault Level, a temple atop a giant cloud!

Other Bits

[p]In addition to that, I've done a touch more bug fixing and polishing. Invisibility is fixed and the object info board lines up correctly. One sad bit of news, the Little Spotted Kiwi will not be immediately available in Early Access. It turns out the power I gave it was way too strong! So, it's out for now, but never fear, it will make a hasty return! But on the plus side I made a main menu that features the Four Realms box art.

Are We Beta Yet?

The short answer is, almost, very nearly, yes! I'm considering this build Early Access 1. I just have to work out the details. In a few short weeks you'll see the game on Steam, itch, and hopefully a few more distributors. So keep your eyes open!

Final
                  • 20 Unique Levels
                  • 24 Rooms (Level Generator)
                  • 36 Missions
                  • 52 Items (Weapons, Accessories, Crowns, Shields)
                  • 14 Skills
                  • 4 Guides
                  Not Final
                  • 3 Wardens
                  • 6 Tents
                  • 28 Summons
                  • 32 Non-Summon(Spells, Structures & Enchantments)

As always thanks for reading! All questions, suggestions, and feedback are welcome.
                  -Del
                  « Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:43:15 AM by del » Logged

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 08:27:02 AM »

Early Access June 10th
                  It's finally almost here! Now everyone can check out the full game, it's entering Beta, so yes there will still be bugs, but it's pretty stable. The game will be available on Steam and itch.io. The starting price will be $7.99 and will increase gradually throughout Early Access.

New Trailer
                  To help promote the coming Early Access phase there is a new trailer. You'll notice it's similar to the last one, which I thought worked well. Hopefully those interested will watch both and see what can make this game so awesome!

Other Details
                  Requirements: Windows. 2Ghz. 1GB RAM. 200 MB disc space.
                  Interface: English
                  Price: $11.99 with a 33% Early Access discount.
                  Release: Fall 2016

As always, all suggestions, questions, and feedback is welcome.
                  Thanks
                  -Del

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #47 on: June 10, 2016, 08:53:41 AM »

Out Now!

Yes, now you can play the whole game! There is a caveat or two though.

First, this is Early Access of the Beta stage of the game. There will be bugs. I highly recommend you try the Demo first to make sure you don't have any large technical bugs. If you do find issues, please, let me know. I can't fix what I don't know about.

Second, if you are unaware, Hugebot! is a solo garage game dev team. What does that mean? I'm one person, so cut me a little slack. And I'm not paid big bucks (or anything at this point), so, I have a day job. My time is limited, but I am dedicated to making Four Realms awesome. Just be patient and I'll do my best.

Trailer

A third Warden trailer! Seriously, check out all three in succession. It will give you a great feel for the variety of game play you can find in Four Realms. This one features the Guinea Pigs. They are a bit more advanced. Their specialty is you actually get two Wardens. So pile up those Skills and Items to double their effect! Or bring out a Shrew Flag Bearer and get double the benefit.

As always, all questions, suggestions, and feedback are welcome.

And enjoy the game!

Thanks

-Del

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 01:20:39 PM »

Small Things & Easier Yet
                  A few optimizations were added. Mainly a bit of trimming to Level Generator rooms and some text database optimizations. Also, a few minor bugs were fixed such as blerbs being broken from the new HUD and a few collision issues. One bigger bug of Scaffolds not working Generated levels has been fixed. Also Events no longer require a minimum of one day. Making the game a tad easier.

I also did a few more tweaks to make the easier difficulties a even easier yet. Your Warden now starts with a health boost. Also, all environment platforms (Rain Leaves, Sun Flowers, etc.) are always on for the easy difficulties.

Health Numbers
                  Several players have suggested using numbers instead of bars. So I've implemented it. Let me know what you think! Here is a before and after shot.

The Old Bars

The New Numbers

Expanded Tutorial
                  The biggest thing I've noticed is players not using Spells and Allies, which is the core of the game. So, I've expanded on the tutorial to really emphasize this. There are two more sections and several more tips that point players in the direction of utilizing allies more. Play it and let me know if it helps.

Also created a few tips signs to make the finer points re-readable.

First Review (Elo Talk)
                  And Four Realms has it's first review. A big thank you to Kayla from Elo Talk for trying the game, sharing it on Twitch, and posting a review.

Thanks for reading. All questions, suggestions, and feedback are welcome.

Thanks

-Del

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #49 on: July 19, 2016, 03:54:08 PM »

Achievements
                  One of the first things asked for when Four Realms went live is achievements. Well, I'm pleased to announce they are now ready! Thanks to the Steam4C2 plugin, I now have a wide range of options available for Steam users. (Leaderboards anyone?)

Most are the standard run of the mill "beat the game" achievements. But I have added a few others to encourage players to really use those spells. There are 18 now, but I'm more than happy to add more. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Unlockables
                  Most of the unlockables have technically been in the game for awhile now. Have you been wondering why there are arrows next to the Guide and Tent? Well guess what? Beat the game with various Wardens and difficulties and you will unlock new Tents and Guides to spice up the game.

Note: Difficulty five doesn't currently have a reward ... yet.

But that's not all, some of the achievements also unlock new Titles. Tired of being called Lord, Lady, or Warden? Then earn a new name for yourself. How about "Commander"?

The Kiwi is Back!
                  OK, so most people didn't know it was gone. I implemented it and wanted it live on the start of Early Access. Only, when I was playing it right before going live, I found the Warden to be way over powered. The original power reduced the costs of Spells (not Structures, Summons, or Enchantments) by one. You could essentially cast those powerful Fireballs & Lightning Bolts for free and save up for big allies.

Now the Kiwi adds just one use to the Spells. I was hesitant to do this at first since the it seemed less powerful than the other Wardens. Oh, silly me. I think this one is just right, let me know what you think.

Since I revamped the Kiwi, I also had to revamp the Arcane Pavilion (the tent unlocked when you beat the game with the Kiwi). Now it increases your max Spell List size by one.

Which Warden?
                  Now that we have the full four Wardens. Which is the one to choose?

The obvious first choice is the Rainbow Mandarin Fish. Flexible and easy to understand, those extra gems come in handy. But while flexible, this Warden is not necessarily the strongest.

The next early pick is the Pinnochio Anole. While not as obvious as the Mandarin Fish. Load your list up with structures and you'll find you get a lot of more bang for your buck.

The Guinea Pigs are definitely where we enter into the intermediate zone. They clearly get a strong early bonus of an extra ally per stage, so it's not bad for beginners. But their real power comes when you understand how to maximize Skills, Equipments, and Tents.

The Kiwi is certainly the most advanced of the Wardens. It's potential doesn't shine until you've unlocked enough Spells. Then you can cleverly leverage some powerful spells to easily turn the tide.

As always thanks for reading. All questions, suggestions, and feedback is welcome!

-Del

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #50 on: August 03, 2016, 07:30:08 AM »

Extended Tutorial
                  I've still be recieving feedback of confusion on the game. Believe me, I know the game is different, that is very much intentional. But good news! The tutorial section is now almost twice as long! I've tried to keep the earlier tutorials focused and repetitive of similar facts. Hopefully, this will let players get a good feel on the nuances of the mechanics. Then there are a few more sections that ramp up in size and let the player play with their new spells.

Leaderboards
                  Using Steam4C2 has opened up the possibility of leaderboards, so, I figured, why not? Now you can compare your best score versus your friends! Unfortunately I can check for cheaters, so this is currently a friends only leaderboard.

Trading Cards, Badges, Emoticons, & Backgrounds
                  This one has be asked for by several Steam players, so, here it is! Trading Cards come in sets of Wardens and Realms.

There are then the unlockable badges of various levels.

And of course the rewards of various emoticons and profile backgrounds. There is a background for each Realm and emoticons for each gem type and guide.

Other Things
                  And of course there have been a few bug fixes and polishes.

• Player light should not shudder.
                  • Environments Effects optimized.
                  • AI optimized.
                  • Aligned generated level castles.
                  Thanks for reading. All questions, suggestions, and feedback are welcome!

-Del

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #51 on: August 11, 2016, 10:47:13 AM »

New Achievements
                  Four more achievements have been added. Each one attempting to teach the players the nuances of each spell type. One such one is Enchant Enemy. Sure, you can enchant yourself. Even allies. But the fun comes when you learn to debilitate your enemies!

Of course, what's a new achievement without a title!

I also added this handy achievement button to the main menu so you can track what achievements you've achieved as well as their rewards.

New Unlockable
                  For those brave enough to complete difficulty five, there is now a new reward to unlock. The reward is well worth the effort though. Good luck!

Tutorial and Other Fixes
                  I spent a bit of time touching up the tutorial just a bit as well as a few other additions.

Now return to camp is a button and not an alternate attack. Hopefully this will be easier to learn and remember for players.

Missions now have a split for difficulty. Harder missions only show up on harder difficulties.

The Steam overlay should now be working properly (thanks MadSpy).

As always thanks for reading. All questions and suggestions are always welcome!

-Del

Oh, and I added bubble effects. Bubbles!!!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:51:07 AM by del » Logged

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #52 on: August 19, 2016, 09:41:05 AM »

Gamepad Support
                  The first pass of gamepad support is in. I've tested it with a 360 controller and it seems to work pretty decent. So if you like gamepads on your PC games, give it a go and let me know what you think. I'll start doing some tweaking with it in a few weeks.

Healers Tent
                  Having only one tent to choose from at the start felt cheap. Sure there are quite a few to unlock within the game. But I wanted to give the players a few more choices to start. So I've added the Healer's Tent. It lets players cast Heal twice from their starting camp. I think it's a good option for beggining players too.

As always: all questions, suggestions, and feedback welcome.

-Del

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #53 on: September 09, 2016, 06:16:53 AM »

New Spells!

These are always the funnest updates and I've been working on this one in conjunction with the gamepad support. Four new Summons, one new Enchantment, three new Structures, and four new Spells (Conjurations)!

Exploring New Phylum

So back when running the Kickstarter I got called out for only having "cute" creatures. While this was kind of subjective and possible false (hey, I don't think snakes are all that cute), they did have a point when they pointed out that there were no spiders or slugs. Well, guess what? That's right, now you too can summon more bizarre creatures.

This update includes four new summons: Pirate Macaw, Nephila Architect (Spider), Crab Battlemaster (Coconut Crab), and Giant Snail.

Going wider means adding new features. Now there is also a new ability some characters will possess. After all, what's the fun of a spider if you can't climb walls!

As a side note, I'm a bit arachnophobic, so I hope you all enjoy the beast.

Other Magics

So there are already a lot of Enchantments in the game, so I reigned in my enchantment love and added only one, Earth, to round out the elemental enchantment set.

Structures get a good bump. Now you can build Turrets, Barracks, and Keys. Adding some flavor beyond just platforming elements to the spell type.

Spells (Conjurations) get the biggest bump with four new instant creations. Boulder and Ice Blast round out the launchable element set. And the addition of Alchemy and Persuade add some interesting twists to what player can do in game.

I'll be detailing half of these new spells in upcoming blog posts, so keep your eyes open. Or ... jump in the game, unlock the new spells, and see what you can do!

As always, thanks for reading. All questions, suggestions, and feedback are more than welcome.

-Del

And for fun, let's look at content tallies for the game.

20 Unique Levels
                  24 Rooms (Level Generator)
                  36 Missions
                  52 Items (Weapons, Accessories, Crowns, Shields)
                  14 Skills
                  4 Guides
                  4 Wardens
                  8 Tents
                  32 Summons
                  40 Non-Summon(13 Spells, 10 Structures & 17 Enchantments)

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 11:49:48 AM »

Polish

This build features a lot of fixes and goodies to tune up and make the game feel and look better.

Level Generator

Generated levels get a spruce up to be more consistent looking and elemental barriers are now consistent.

• Generic generated level editing. (platforming fixes, etc.)
                  • Generated Levels Door, Stones, Environment Platforms now have proper sway and Armor.
                  • Background Tint Generated Levels not matches Night/Day.
                  • Walls on Water Generated Levels.

Combat

Combat gets a few annoying features trimmed and a few fixes for consistent damage.

• No more Fire/Water damage ailments.
                  • Knockback can damage after animation, but no knockback for a period.
                  • Thrown attacks can now reach their target.
                  • Neutral Characters can now be damaged by enemies.
                  • Fire Salamander maintains distance in combat.

Miscellaneous

• Load text on every game load.
                  • Wall climbers don't push crates forever.
                  • More pizzaz to dialogue boxes.
                  • Aether Angel not stuck on player control.
                  • Memory spell highlights appropriately, doesn't lag, and exits faster.
                  • Made Viking and Hypnotist hats less silly.
                  • Improved smoke effects.
                  • Generic text editing. (Tips & "they local")
                  • ^LocalRegion Trust shop now show region.
                  • Tool tip is now not significantly laggy.
                  • Fixed lag on character select screen.
                  • Sell doesn't unequip if you have two items.

Balance Tuning

A lot of the tuning went to the super game. Items and bonuses you can buy are now cheaper. Trust is easier to earn, making the whole game a bit easier. Plus a few features to make the easier modes easier. You now start with a key on the lower difficulties.

• Added Combat Tutorial (Use Allies).
                  • Cheaper Skills/Items/Time at stores.
                  • More Days on easier difficulties.
                  • Earn More Trust/Days on Level Complete.
                  • Start with one key on easier difficulties.
                  • Lose less Trust on final mission failure.
                  • Allies magnet towards player when jumping.
                  • Warden can call allies to position with alt attack.

One new feature I want to highlight is that you can now summon allies to your Warden's location by pressing shift once, switching your attack to "Call".

As always, thanks for reading. All questions, suggestions, and feedback are welcome.

-Del

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #55 on: October 03, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »

Polish, Polish, Polish
                  Another round of polish has been added to Four Realms. While there are a lot of small tweaks and fixes in this build, there is one thing in particular I want to point out. Mid Mission saving! Stuck in that long mission. Well, now you can save when you want and continue the journey at your leasure!

Miscellaneous

Removed "Solulable" mechanic.
                  Characters and Spells can no longer be cast into walls.
                  Particle effect from landing.
                  Fade in Attack text on switch, no more effects.
                  Updated Call visuals.
                  Removed lagging crate arrow in the tutorial.
                  Round Armor on Info Board.
                  Menu Highlights straightened.
                  Equipment no longer shrinks when closing menu.
                  New hat for Metal Heads (Bucket Heads).
                  Medium Air Barracks placed higher in Generated Levels.
                  Adjusted moving platforms to be better timed.
                  Reload spell info on load game.
                  Mid mission saving.
                  A bunch of level tweaks and fixes.
                  Can't pick up Gems and Gold when Warden is Returning.
                  Can quit to menu from mission.
                  Can't destroy invisible ladders in tutorial.
                  Adjusted line-up, Call, and portals in tutorials.

Spells, Combat, and More
                  I also spent some time tuning the new balance of spells. Certain spells now no longer affect Objective targets. While I try to keep the spells as flexible as possible, these ones just ended up a bit too powerful in these cases.

A pass was also done on the text. Various mistakes were fixed and a bit of fine tuning was done on the overall tone.

Spell Balance

Less chance of gold from Pirate Macaw.
                  Reduced Turret Uses.
                  Tangle, Freeze, and Charm only work on non-Objective Targets.
                  Boulder does more damage.
                  Increased the cost of Charm.

Optimization

Infoboard pulls from title database for enchantment names.
                  Damage effects only spawn one effect.
                  Hats only updated for on screen characters.

Combat

Reduced Water damage.
                  Reduced Poison damage.
                  Reduced Snail health.
                  Enemies properly follow on ladders.
                  Warden attack has a more accurate range.

Text

Fortune Teller Tent text added(For Experienced).
                  Fixed missing text #Wanderer_Ranger_Option1_Success_Text.
                  Fixed missing #Cannon text.
                  Changed 'Vikings' to 'Barbarians'. Changed 'Bucket Heads' to 'Metal Heads'.
                  Dialogue Pass.
                  Fixed missing ^Aether tag in Events.

Blog
                  And if you just can't get enough Four Realms goodness, be sure to check out the blog. You get more insights in the development, plus detailed looks at the Spells of the Four Realms.

Two recent posts look at the Nephila Architect (a character that turned out way cooler than I expected) and four of the new spells in the game.

As always thanks for reading. All questions, suggestions, and feedback are welcome.

-Del

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:55:52 AM by del » Logged

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #56 on: October 07, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »

The Adventure Begins!
                  Four Realms is leaving Steam Early Access and entering full release on October 24! After roughly four years of development and the help of some awesome players, the game is nearing completion.

Of course what's a release with out a trailer. Here is the fourth Warden trailer,

!

What's Left?
                  There are a few remaining minor bugs and handful of AI issues I want to work out. If you know of anything I've missed, please feel free to leave a note and I'll take a look at it.

What's Missing?
                  I look back at what is in the game and what was on the initial content list, and I've got to say, wow! About 75% of the planned content made it in. While some stuff didn't make it, many new features got added like Tents and Generated levels.

What's Next?
                  Right now I'm focused on polishing out those last few kinks. Do you want more Four Realms? Then let me know, tell your friends, share video, share pics, and support the game!

As always all feedback, questions, and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

-Del

del
                  Level 1

View Profile WWW
                  « Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »

Full Release
                  Yay! After four years it's finally done! Check it out! It's Awesome!

I want to give a big thanks to all those that provided feedback and helped make this game possible.

So What's New?
                  That's right this isn't just a ceremonial moment. There are new things in the game since the last update. I focused primarily on bugs, specifically I rounded out some of the rougher edges of AI. Here's list of the random bugs that were fixed.

AI
                  Changed LOS to whole target.
                  Enemy damage doesn't damage neutral objects.
                  Removed unneccessary floor state AI checks.
                  Slowed characters near enemies.

Miscellaneous
                  Enlarging and shrinking moves health numbers.
                  Help Box stays off in later tutorials.
                  Removed Beta labeling.
                  Blue Bird attack has less range.
                  Fixed missing text #TutorialPart1d_Sign_ThreeSolutions1.
                  Flattened out terrain for better combat in Tutorial 1C.
                  Unlockables are shown on character select screen.
                  Fixed Portable Factory not working.
                  Enemy Camp mission completes with ally Barracks.

Oh yeah, and now you can see what you are missing from unlockables. Beat the game and see what else it has to offer.

New Spells!
                  You didn't think it would just be bugs did you? No! There are eight more spells to find in the game: Small Portal, Prayer, Flag, Spikes, Vertical Spike Ball, Nature's Bounty, Curse, and Sticky Paws. That's four more Structures, two more Spells, and two more enchantments. Check out Small Portal in action!

I try and make most spells multi-purpose in nature, but Curse was a special surprise. Curse a door and you can bust it down, how handy!

Alright, so if you've watched the trailer you've seen it, but here's the final spell counts!

32 Summons
                  14 Structures
                  15 Spells (Not Summon, Structures, or Enchantments)
                  19 Enchantments
                  That's 80 total spells for you to unlock!

Which reminds me, there are two more achievements in game now, one of which is getting all the spells, so what are you waiting for, go play the game!

Thanks

-Del
                  « Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:18:39 PM by del » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
                  Print
                  Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic