Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 03:16:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHuman Hugs
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 115
Print
Author Topic: Human Hugs  (Read 334714 times)
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: September 28, 2013, 01:35:45 AM »

I seem to be under the spell of an awful art related anxiety. It feels like anyone who likes my work is doing so to be nice, and that I'm doing it all wrong. It's tough seeing other artists talk about their "cluster techniques" and "color theory studies" when all that stuff flies right over my head. I've tried building a foundation up but I have a terrible memory and can't retain the things I study.

It does sometimes seem cool to think that my art might be impulsive and just an "extension of my nature" whatever that means. Then people always have to come along and compare my stuff to Fez, Sword and Sworcery, and sotc, which at first is nice but eventually makes me feel like I might as well be doing fan art.

I know this is all rubbish and that I'll feel better after a while and keep pooping out bird art, but it's hard to think straight when the feeling hits.

jddg5wa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: September 28, 2013, 01:57:47 AM »

I decided to look through your posts to see your art and I can understand why people might compare it to fez and sword of sworcery as there are similarities. That being said it still seems to stand on its own fine and it honestly does look great. You just gotta remember that the chances of you liking the exact same thing that someone else likes is high, well. So if you like your art then someone else is bound to like it. Honestly I really like your art if that means anything to you. Tongue

Hope the feelings decide to leave and you can think straighter. It really does suck when they come along.

"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:53 AM »

I seem to be under the spell of an awful art related anxiety. It feels like anyone who likes my work is doing so to be nice, and that I'm doing it all wrong. It's tough seeing other artists talk about their "cluster techniques" and "color theory studies" when all that stuff flies right over my head. I've tried building a foundation up but I have a terrible memory and can't retain the things I study.

It does sometimes seem cool to think that my art might be impulsive and just an "extension of my nature" whatever that means. Then people always have to come along and compare my stuff to Fez, Sword and Sworcery, and sotc, which at first is nice but eventually makes me feel like I might as well be doing fan art.

I know this is all rubbish and that I'll feel better after a while and keep pooping out bird art, but it's hard to think straight when the feeling hits.

"Bad memory" is just a myth. You remember what you understand, when you are of healthy mind and body.

Memories do vary, in a sense, but basically not enough for it to be a frustration, unless you have a recognized disorder - like you don't remember where you live.

I know this is a just tangent. All I'm saying is keep at it. It will change.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1843 on: September 30, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »

-snip-
if it's any consolation, I get a lot of comparisons of my art and craft to terraria, a game I haven't played and that I think has very bad art. You've got to get a feeling for your own worth and talent rather than relying on people gushing when you post something. I spent a few years in the part honestly making art and games in the hope that people would like them and call me awesome. It's not a particularly healthy motivation, particularly as it often turns to frustration and jealousy when people ignore your work or call it bad, or start comparing it to terraria Smiley
That said, all the stuff about learning your craft is very important too.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1844 on: September 30, 2013, 03:47:23 PM »

if it's any consolation, I get a lot of comparisons of my art and craft to terraria, a game I haven't played and that I think has very bad art.

Terraria doesn't make a great first impression, but if you play it and see things in motion you might change your mind. There's a lot of beauty in the environments, even if the character art is somewhat lackluster.

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: September 30, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »

Conker534
« Reply #1846 on: September 30, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »

i hope you didn't lose anything important !
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: October 01, 2013, 08:15:27 AM »

Hug, hug, hug. It's something that i never encountered while using it. No wonder you hate it so much. Maybe try EDGE? it can link the file if you have iphone and that software in it.

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1848 on: October 02, 2013, 11:19:42 AM »

Got the "I just wanna be friends" talk from someone who I thought I shared a mutual liking with. *sigh* Mein Leben.

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: October 02, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »

Got the "I just wanna be friends" talk from someone who I thought I shared a mutual liking with. *sigh* Mein Leben.

Iv'e dealt with a lot of lesbians disguised as straight girls, I know that talk mang.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: October 02, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »

you've just got to come on to her slowly, and steadily. girls normally say that when you "jump the gun."

(don't be deceptive of course)
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1851 on: October 02, 2013, 04:23:57 PM »

He actually started acting differently, but in a good way, like he was telling me he was glad to see me, and entered a raffle to win a guitar for me, so I was expecting something good to happen. Guess I was wrong.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: October 02, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »

oh, it's a dude. .... I guess the strategy is the same.

I have some experience being rejected, and not being rejected. One important thing I've learned is that sometimes things need to be done "at pace." A person will like you, but may need a comfortable approach to feel right pursuing that side of themselves. Rejection is definitely not the end.
Kekskiller
« Reply #1853 on: October 02, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »

Yeah, making relationships is a game of pace and adjustment. It can take a real lot of time, especially if it evolves from a previous friendship or just knowing each other well enough. Which is also what I just realized about my current sitation, darn.

Hugs anyway! Everybody needs a hug.
jddg5wa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: October 02, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »

Reading these comments has to be the first time I've not heard the "your stuck in the friendzone" kind of "advice". Quiet nice not to see it brought up, aside from my mentioning Tongue, especially since I've never really believed in the friend zone.

"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: October 18, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »

I sometimes feel like I'm not supposed to make games, that I'd be better off focusing on what I'm actually good at. I don't want to be left out of the picture when it comes to such a profound medium though. It's been ten years and I still haven't published something of my own, it's a terrible yet inspiring feeling to see other people's game grow.

When I feel like this, I'll watch the preview for this

(still hasn't come out). The part where Edmund says "If these kids fucking keep working it, they could jump off of what were doing and blow right past us."

That line is what started the fire years ago, the thought that I'm one of those kids, that I could make games like Edmund. I like to think of what my 16 or 17 year-old-self would say to me. He would be furious that I still haven't even made a flash game, but excited to hear that I talk to Tom Fulp often. He'd be infuriated that I never elaborated the lore of my game, and that people still think Vexons are birds or plague doctors, but pleased to know that I finally opened an art exhibition.

Sometimes it's good to reflect on what progress we have made rather than ponder on what we've failed to do. Sometimes I feel like I'd be better off doing comics or playing drums, but I think I just need to keep working it and maybe I'll finally make a game or two.

Kekskiller
« Reply #1856 on: October 18, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »

I know that feeling. You work all the time but there seems to be no reward. Nothing to proof that what you do is actually relevant to what you really want to achieve. This is, however, not true as the more we do what we do the better we become and find a place where we fit and where everything begins to make a sense. When I was 14 I wanted to work for Nintendo but I only knew RPGMaker. I really wanted to make a game but I didn't want to just dump stuff and be done. No, I wanted to continue making it good and 9 years later I didn't finish any of the stuff I wanted to see back then. But it paid off cause what I've been doing made me good - finished or not. It was enough for showcasing my skills, found a place in the industry and now I can tell my inner 14-year-old that I played a substantial part in an game to be finished and sold a few days. Yet I haven't finished any game on my own and I don't feel that I should change what I'm doing cause I just did what I always did so others could fill the gap and feel the same.

I guess you'll see this differently but if you don't manage to pull off everything on your own you can reach something similar by teaming up or simply sharing. Even those doing everything by themselves have someone to share things with: a group of people they show their stuff to. Even if you switch to making comics you'll have to show it eventually. Great things don't come from one-way solutions. Whether it's something you've started a long time ago or something new where what you did before simply came in handy. Remember my story above? The game had been in the making for like four years and it still looked as if it was year one cause they simply didn't manage to get things right. Interestingly, they lacked exactly what I was capable of and in the end the game worked out fine cause both sides managed to get out and do something about it.

So many things get lost over the years cause we fail to see why we need others, too, to realize our dreams. What we don't loose though is what we worked hard for and we'll eventually get a chance to rise and shine as we always wanted. That said, hugs.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: October 18, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »

There's no "supposed" to do. Games are expressive enough that you can do whatever you want. If you love them you'll find a way. It just may be difficult.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1858 on: October 18, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »

I think I just need to keep working it and maybe I'll finally make a game or two.
honestly dude if you want to make games, you're gonna have to make games. I can like, send you an example flixel project from several years ago if you're still at that stage, but the trick is to just write the damn thing.
games aren't rocket science, and if you're not writing engine trope code they're barely even computer science. even if the code is looking like shit, keep writing. even if you think some part of it isn't fun, keep writing. even if you "can't be arsed today", keep writing and drawing like your life depends on it. make the game you want to make, and then make more.
... oh yeah it can also help to release fairly early so you get feedback, it can really help with motivation.

if you still feel like you're starting out, just make something small, and then fir the love of games finish it. indie performer #372937463 can help you with your art and get you on your feet writing code, just ideally don't bank your future on it's commercial success Tongue

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: October 18, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »

carrion, teenagers make embarrassing shitty stuff. I'd rather have 20-something carrion games to play than dorky 17 y/o carrion games to play. Just quit moping and hustle.

but,
hugs.

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 115
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic