Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:30:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDriving Survival game
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Driving Survival game  (Read 114039 times)
Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2014, 01:45:23 AM »

Hi everybody,

Some first glimpses of my project - this is a recent AI car handling test I did:

The scene in the video above was to test the driving style of the chasing cars. I wanted those to drive agressively and slide as much as possible when taking corners in proximity of the player. The NPC cars are always on the verge of loosing grip - which was quite a challenge to setup/code.

2016 update - some more recent gifs:)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:27:47 AM by Soul Challenger » Logged

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:55:39 AM »

Trying to escape the coolest drunk-driving NPC's on the planet!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 06:26:42 PM by Soul Challenger » Logged

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:29:10 PM »

Here's a new gameplay trailer showcasing the car-chase part of the game:

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:33:05 PM »

Wow this looks dope man, looks like a lot of fun to play. Reminds me of Interstate '76. Love the volumetric streetlights. What engine are you using?

SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »

Oh my God, the henchmen in the rear view are terrifying. I am keeping my eye on this devlog, looks very cool.
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 05:22:54 PM »

Really creepy atmosphere you got going. Smiley

Are there any planned features besides the "core driving-survival part" right now?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »

most mysterious devlog of Tigsource.
love how weird and whymsical the setting is.
Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »

Wow this looks dope man, looks like a lot of fun to play. Reminds me of Interstate '76. Love the volumetric streetlights. What engine are you using?
Thank you Smiley I'm using Unity3D. The streetlights volumetrics are fake, just particles mimicking lit fog. There are also cross-plane mesh particles with a vertex-lit shader, spawning over the terrain to simulate ground fog. In the future I would like to replace that with real volumetrics.

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »

Really creepy atmosphere you got going. Smiley

Are there any planned features besides the "core driving-survival part" right now?
Also planned: information-gathering through exploration that will progressively unveil what went wrong in the game's universe. It's based on my short animation film, which I'm finishing at the moment. Here's an older teaser for the film:

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »

Oh my God, the henchmen in the rear view are terrifying. I am keeping my eye on this devlog, looks very cool.
most mysterious devlog of Tigsource.
love how weird and whymsical the setting is.
Thank you Smiley I'm happy you like it

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 04:08:45 AM »

Here's a couple of screenshots, as compensation for the crappy video quality  Gentleman:

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 04:17:05 AM »

creepier than Silent Hill
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 04:45:17 AM »

Looks like a really fun driving model with all the skidding and springiness! Would love to try it out.

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 03:53:42 PM »

This is pretty creepy and looks fun!   Hand Thumbs Up Left Wink

nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 08:14:15 PM »

This looks great, love the mood

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 07:18:13 AM »

Thank you everybody, for the great feedback!  Smiley

I would like to take a moment to talk about the game's driving AI system. One of my priorities was to achieve a believable, human-like behavior of the NPC drivers. For me and other gamers with whom I've discussed this, one thing that is disappointing and immersion-braking in open-world driving games is bad AI. It's either too dumb or strongly cheating on the physics, or both.
Take Driver:SF or the GTA series for example. You can drive like a god but the cop cars chasing you will have extraterrestrial acceleration capabilities, coupled with a car mass of a locomotive and tires covered with suction cups. It just feels too unfair, and although a subjective notion: not fun.

Many popular games also tend to hide the flaws of their driving AI with a quantity over quality approach, by either spawning numerous vehicles coming from all directions or/and by introducing a gun-shooting response. Here, on the contrary, there is a strong emphasis on programming the NPC cars to be as skilled as possible and building favorable conditions to allow for a gradual building-up of the tension.

It has taken a considerable amount of development time to come up with a system which allows the NPC cars to drive in a way that is fully natural, with no "cheat" abilities, while still being good enough to keep up with a player. Hence the AI driving featured in the above gameplay video. While I am not entirely sure if, for whichever reasons, a majority of players are concerned by this, I would love to read what you think and feel about this subject.

Here's also another video, I have recorded yesterday, showcasing the driving where I'm racing against an AI-controlled car. Can you tell which car is player-controlled? Yellow or blue?  Smiley

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:58:53 AM by Soul Challenger » Logged

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 01:21:40 AM »

Consider me teased, this looks great, LOVED that TR teaser from your old film as well.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 02:32:57 AM »

Driving games make me give out the biggest Meh a person can give but this looks super intriguing.

The physics of driving look impressively convincing and have this immediate tactile sense of spongy suspension which looks just so juicy and makes me want to play it. Not to mention it's a clever idea, a driving based survival game. The aesthetic mix of quirky and eerie is also spot on, those four dudes in that car just coming after you creep me out.

This is lovely stuff!

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »

Consider me teased, this looks great, LOVED that TR teaser from your old film as well.

Thank you. I'll be writing a more detailed post about the game's environment soon. You can expect some pretty surreal imagery which will act in contrast to the fairly realistic setting. Here's my last film from 2010 to better illustrate what I mean:

Driving games make me give out the biggest Meh a person can give but this looks super intriguing.

The physics of driving look impressively convincing and have this immediate tactile sense of spongy suspension which looks just so juicy and makes me want to play it. Not to mention it's a clever idea, a driving based survival game. The aesthetic mix of quirky and eerie is also spot on, those four dudes in that car just coming after you creep me out.

This is lovely stuff!

Wow, that's a huge compliment from someone who finds driving games Meh  Smiley , thank you. If I can manage to make the game just a little bit more enjoyable to those that normally don't enjoy driving (in) games, then I'll be super happy.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 03:15:06 PM »

that film is amazingly disturbing. kind of like a nightmare/dream ... everything kind of makes sense but overall it's just completely insane. love it!
the game seems rather creepy but I wonder if you can achieve the same level of insanity as in that film :D
great stuff!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic