Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411604 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 03:46:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDriving Survival game
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Driving Survival game  (Read 114649 times)
xzbobzx
Level 0

Yannic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »

Thanks, and looking at your project I feel it looks quite fine and natural already! For the AI staying on the road, I just use waypoints in the middle of the road and keep it as simple as possible (with some special sauce involved). You should try to figure out a way to anticipate where your target will be instead of where it is or was.

Hahaha thanks, although literally all it was was a script saying "if player is to your left, turn left, if player is to your right, turn right."

My head is spinning with problems and solutions to chase cars following waypoints to reach the player. I'd say there's a pathfinding algorithm at work but that already sounds far more complicated than really necessary.

I'm thinking either the player car holds a log of which waypoints it passed, and the chase car follows those.

Or, the chase car drives in the direction of the player car, checks which waypoint it is closest to, then checks if it doesn't veer too far off the road, and then applies special sauce to drive in a straight line.

...but wouldn't that cause problems if the player drove on a road parallel to the chase cars?

Who, Me?

Aaaaanyway, it's very cool to see someone else making a car chase game. I believe the genre is very underappreciated, as are the movies. (I believe you mentioned Vanishing Point (the original) in a previous post?)

I'm going to keep a keen eye on this! :D

PS: Have you seen Gone in 60 Seconds? (1974)

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2016, 01:31:23 AM »

Aaaaanyway, it's very cool to see someone else making a car chase game. I believe the genre is very underappreciated, as are the movies. (I believe you mentioned Vanishing Point (the original) in a previous post?)

I'm going to keep a keen eye on this! :D

PS: Have you seen Gone in 60 Seconds? (1974)

I suppose there haven't been many good car chase movies recently - at least I can't seem to remember any. It will be interesting how the driving genre will evolve in the future. I'm guessing that as soon as self-driving cars become more common, all insurance companies will forbid humans to drive because of the higher risk of an accident...

Yeah, I've seen the original Gone in 60 Seconds but skipped directly to the 40(!) minute care chase  Cheesy

Concerning VR. I've tried it yesterday for the first time (smartphone + occulus case) and for someone not easily impressed, I'm impressed  Gentleman

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2016, 05:31:24 AM »

Wow this would be phenomenal in vr!

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2016, 02:53:34 AM »

New teaser for my last animation film "Time Rodent"  Smiley :

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »

New teaser for my last animation film "Time Rodent"  Smiley :

Kiss

CANTATA
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2016, 10:14:02 AM »

Looks great!

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 27, 2016, 03:57:52 PM »

The game looks very interesting in concept and the driving looks satisfying too.

Your animation work sets an interesting precedent for what this game might ultimately become, so that's exciting.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »

I dreamed I fought against little rats with laser guns
did you have anything to do with this?

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »

Took this photo out my window the other night, thinking of your game. Please consider this fan-art Gentleman

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »

Looks great!
Thanks! Smiley Coming to a film festival near YURP (or PM me) Wink

The game looks very interesting in concept and the driving looks satisfying too.

Your animation work sets an interesting precedent for what this game might ultimately become, so that's exciting.
Thank you Smiley Not a huge fan of traditional linear narrative so the transition to interactive media feels just right - might be wrong but definitely feels like the ideal progression. Time will tell.

I dreamed I fought against little rats with laser guns
did you have anything to do with this?
Most probably, yes!  Cheesy Although, my trade is more daydreaming than nightdreaming.

Took this photo out my window the other night, thinking of your game. Please consider this fan-art Gentleman

Thanks, love the mood! Reminds me a lot of my very early childhood in Benesov. Born and raised in one of those typical pre-cast concrete buildings.

Best wishes to all of you for 2017! Stay strong

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »

Beautiful! Very excited to see the development of the game throughout the coming year. Keep it up!

Yannic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2017, 04:16:21 PM »

Looking good!

I'm curious, have you ever tried your game in daylight? It'd be entirely the wrong mood but I'd be very curious to see that.  Blink Blink
maiscrudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2017, 06:46:11 AM »

Love the atmosphere, and the driving model reminds me of Interstate 76, or Driver.
Really nice work!

Moony Baboon | @maiscrudo
Released games: Wings of Heroes | Waste in Space
Currently developing Trigono
ErenPK61
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »

Loved your game's AI and physics also the atmosphere is really good.But i wonder if there will be a day/night cycle while driving around or just dark times like this. I'd love to see the colourful side of your world like one of your trailers. In either case this game will be great. Can't wait for a playable demo.   Hand Clap
Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »

Beautiful! Very excited to see the development of the game throughout the coming year. Keep it up!
Thank you!  Smiley 2017 could be a big year for this project - at least in terms of turning moving pictures into something more palpable/playable

Looking good!

I'm curious, have you ever tried your game in daylight? It'd be entirely the wrong mood but I'd be very curious to see that.  Blink Blink
Thanks  Smiley Yes, I am planning a kind of day night cycle - where the day is still very overcast with no direct sunlight reaching the ground. Super-quick test I just did:

Love the atmosphere, and the driving model reminds me of Interstate 76, or Driver.
Really nice work!
Thank you! Haven't played Interstate 76 because I used to work on a Mac at the time. Driver had been ported to Mac in 1999 and I loved it. And been playing it for roughly four years.

Loved your game's AI and physics also the atmosphere is really good.But i wonder if there will be a day/night cycle while driving around or just dark times like this. I'd love to see the colourful side of your world like one of your trailers. In either case this game will be great. Can't wait for a playable demo.   Hand Clap
Thank you  Smiley I'm afraid there won't be more colorful moments, in terms of a sunny scene like in the teaser for Time Rodent. There will be less depressing parts of the world with use of artificial light though.

Been designing a piece of forested landscape in the past days so here's a relaxing drive through the woods:

maiscrudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2017, 03:40:50 PM »

This relaxing drive gives me the creeps..  Shocked
It's no easy feat to convey this kind of emotions through a short video: really good stuff.

Moony Baboon | @maiscrudo
Released games: Wings of Heroes | Waste in Space
Currently developing Trigono
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

Looking beautiful!
Showed to a non-gamer and they were impressed & scared.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:08:17 PM by quantumpotato » Logged

KyotoCarl
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2017, 06:57:43 PM »

I'm really looking forward to this! Been a lurker here along time and this is one of the first projects that got me excited that I wanted to ask you a question: do you need a music composer for this? I'm a musician who has started working on atmospheric digital and analog music using synths, basses, drums and guitars. If you need someone I would love to give it a shot to see if I can create some mood music for you.
Yannic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »

Ooooh I really like the overcast during day. It really manages to stay creepy :D
bublik
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2017, 08:18:20 AM »

Man this stuff really inspires me. I'm a newbie to game development! Where did you learn to make this world / graphics / modeling and such?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic