Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:11:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDriving Survival game
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Driving Survival game  (Read 114518 times)
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »

Oh wow that volumetric lighting is phenomenal!

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »

Glad you enjoyed it! Agreed, keeping the scope narrow is always a good idea with indie projects. I think it's also a part that makes them so precious - the minimalism.

Interesting to see how it develops when the project grows from a singular vision to a group effort, I think it will only benefit from this. Creating a semi-open world (?) game would probably be very demanding to complete on your own.

Well, current circumstances have oriented the project back into solo mode - which, thinking about it and being a non-programmer, feels quite "suicidal" - but the demo is on it's way and progress is being made and it feels quite like a miracle at the end of every day. Pretty sure all devs obsessed know that feeling Smiley

Agree on the minimalism - which does not negate strong emotions, on the contrary.

I think its a good idea, especially since you still have options once you have a successful release to followup with updates and/or DLCs, although I assume you´ll go the road of Early Access which is a good thing in my opinion

There's definitely that option to enlarge the scope once the crucial core is done. Early Access is definitely on my mind - just got to admit I'm not quite sure it's the right path, since I've always released my works once they were complete (films).

Oh wow that volumetric lighting is phenomenal!

And affordable in terms of performance Smiley . It really adds to the spatial information of where the enemies are located and their approaching speed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:05:44 AM by Soul Challenger » Logged

BlaCGaming
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:18 PM »

There's definitely that option to enlarge the scope once the crucial core is done. Early Access is definitely on my mind - just got to admit I'm not quite sure it's the right path, since I've always released my works once they were complete (films).

I see where you are coming from, but its not quite the same in game development as in other artistic businesses. A game can always use more polishing or updates and even the big AAA studios tend to mess up every launch and have to provide updates and fixes on day 1. Early Access gives you the possibility to generate income while continuing to work on the game and make use of feedback by the early testers. Another option to consider is Episodes. Maybe you can release Episode packs which different scenarios and have the main game be like your current concept + a few default game modes and more get added later on for people to purchase. However I think that for your game Early Access is the better call. If you do decide to release it fully just make sure you have done extensive testing with many different people, since the PC is  such a wide variety of configurations and one may find bugs others don´t encounter.

That said, regardless of your route, I am really looking forward, keep up the great work! Smiley
smbrr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2017, 08:56:28 AM »

Looks amazing, I've been craving for this type of game forever. Can't wait to play this, hopefully with force-feedback  Addicted

I wanted to chime in to say: if you intend to go with having an autoradio to play some music, I'd recommand playing a little bit of Far Cry 3 and driving a car. The muffled, low quality of the sound, the catchy and generic instrumental tracks, coupled with sounds of tires crunching gravel and foliage really made it a great experience to me (the only thing I ended up liking about the game). Some inspiration, perhaps.

KillerKhung
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2017, 09:04:40 PM »

how to download Driving Survival
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2017, 05:17:07 AM »

how to download Driving Survival

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+download+driving+survival

utkiupe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »

there will probably be a scam version on the App Store quite soon Smiley

I make games at Kiupe // check our future game: Eiwee - a game about playing and learning music
yakovlev909
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2017, 07:36:14 PM »

Looks amazing, I've been craving for this type of game forever. Can't wait to play this, hopefully with force-feedback  Addicted

I wanted to chime in to say: if you intend to go with having an autoradio to play some music, I'd recommand playing a little bit of Far Cry 3 and driving a car. The muffled, low quality of the sound, the catchy and generic instrumental tracks, coupled with sounds of tires crunching gravel and foliage really made it a great experience to me (the only thing I ended up liking about the game). Some inspiration, perhaps.

I dont think thats good, just to mention this game has a very strong eastern european atmosphere, a tropic based radio album would kill the mood instantly.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:22:20 AM by yakovlev909 » Logged
Resource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2017, 09:18:06 AM »

This is looking really great.
Looking forward to seeing more!
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2017, 09:43:04 AM »

I dont think thats good, just to mention this game has a very strong eastern european atmosphere, a tropic based radio album would kill the mood instantly.

Yeah I like the lack of music, loving the grinding of tires over dirt and acceleration

yakovlev909
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2017, 04:46:43 AM »

Yeah I like the lack of music, loving the grinding of tires over dirt and acceleration

I think the key is called ambient sounds,it would be nice to implement bird sounds (owl or crow) wind and rain sound effects or hearing things from bushes/or forest aswell. music could be necessary in numerous situations tho. For example if we want to strengthen the atmosphere, ambient musics could be helpful too, just to mention one the most atmospheric game the stalker series, they just mastered this technique you can hear the music in the background quietly, yet it doesnt distract you.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:53:50 AM by yakovlev909 » Logged
smbrr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »

What music it would be is totally unrelated to my point, I wasn't advocating tropical music and rap songs, of course not.
FLP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2017, 03:49:59 AM »

How is the game's creation? Do not let this project die. I'm trying to test this game.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2017, 01:50:13 PM »

I have faith in you,
Code:
Soul Challenger

MrDoodoolo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »

Apart from car damage, would you consider adding visual damage to other things as well such as buildings?
Imagine the AI tries to stop you and rams you into a wall or building, and then having the wall or building break in a non scripted way, kind of like Red Faction.
Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2017, 02:27:09 AM »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts about sound! A couple years back, my composer created some ambient tracks for the game so I tested using one of those inside the game. What do you think? :

He's currently working on the sound(s) for those situations where the player is chased by the goons. Can't wait to hear what he'll come up with.  Crazy

A couple of GIFs that showcase the last visual update. I'm really happy with the results so I started populating the game-world with additional models/placeholders that I created during the last two months. Putting it all together now - with slight reminiscence of playing with model trains as a kid  Cheesy

Concerning red-faction-style damage, although I've though about it, it's not a feature that I'll be able to implement for now.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2017, 08:39:46 AM »

Suitably creepy.

However without the car running it sounds a little too noisy? Or that there are too many different instruments / noisemakers in the track. I think a quieter, subtler track might work better.

(Don't take this the wrong way - the track does fit great.)

All the sounds were good once you started driving. Seeing those lights flash in the rearview.. suspenseful.

Nice physics on the 180 turn btw.

yakovlev909
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »

I dont know now if our current protagonist will remain as it is, or its still placeholder? Im saying cause if you will change it to a human being maybe you should add visible hands in the first person view. By watching the current fov and the placement of our head, the hands wont cover the view and adds a bit to the immersion. Just an example from prodigy's smack my b*tch up clip, how i imagined this. Atmosphere is kinda similar too.

http://imgur.com/a/GqdVI

What do you think?
MrDoodoolo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2017, 11:27:56 PM »

Hey, any news on this game? I come back to this thread almost daily lmao
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2017, 12:41:09 AM »

The latest clips look really great!