Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:46:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDriving Survival game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Driving Survival game  (Read 114040 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 02:41:46 PM »

That Time Rodent video is youtube-private (won't play in forums without being unlisted or public)

Had an idea for you.. this might make for a bad experience but could fit into the psychological oppression aspect of the enemies: have them honk at you.

earthworkgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2016, 03:17:31 PM »

Looks really slick. I appreciate how difficult it is to make competent AI. Good work!
Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2016, 07:22:17 AM »

Looks atmospheric and cool.

The realistic car behavior is super smooth.
Thank you  Smiley

Looking sweet and suitable creepy.
I'm curious if the game will be one world you drive continuously through?
Thanks  Smiley Yes, it will be one world to drive around. The planned size would be roughly 4x60km - let's see how unity copes with that... Waaagh!

Wow, this all looks great. Both films and game, awesome work.
Thanks a lot! Always happy when the films get seen (such a tiny niche those animation shorts).

That Time Rodent video is youtube-private (won't play in forums without being unlisted or public)

Had an idea for you.. this might make for a bad experience but could fit into the psychological oppression aspect of the enemies: have them honk at you.
Fixed the video that was set to private.
Thanks for the idea  Smiley I was planning some extra psychological annoyance where the enemies would switch on their high-beam lights when behind the player car. Honking would work too. To be tested

Looks really slick. I appreciate how difficult it is to make competent AI. Good work!
Thank you!

JamesDraws
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2016, 07:36:47 AM »

Wow looks great! I love the lighting and general palette of the whole thing; dripping with atmosphere. Plus your 2010 video reminds of a Tool video. Looking good, can't wait to see more!
Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2016, 08:26:58 AM »

Wow looks great! I love the lighting and general palette of the whole thing; dripping with atmosphere. Plus your 2010 video reminds of a Tool video. Looking good, can't wait to see more!
Thank you!  Smiley
Yeah, I saw a music video back in the 90's, didn't know the band but those visuals left a mark. It was called "sober", and is one of the reasons I got interested in animation (also Gerald Scarfe's animations in The Wall).

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2016, 11:26:24 AM »

Looking good.  I like the athosphere and the driving seems quite fun. Smiley

It has taken a considerable amount of development time to come up with a system which allows the NPC cars to drive in a way that is fully natural, with no "cheat" abilities, while still being good enough to keep up with a player. Hence the AI driving featured in the above gameplay video. While I am not entirely sure if, for whichever reasons, a majority of players are concerned by this, I would love to read what you think and feel about this subject.
My guess is that you've played racing games that were "realistic" enough that if you make a mistake then there was no way you could catch up.  Conversely, in your game it would be possible that the player could do certain moves that slow the NPC cars down significantly or get them stuck and gain significant distance - hence no tension.   So, my guess is that some form of "cheating" will be needed to maintain any type of gameplay you wish the player to have.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2016, 02:34:54 AM »

What's the goal of this game? It seems like I want to out-run the goons that are in chase... or am I chasing someone?
Is the road authored, or generated?

Right now it looks like an interactive film scene- which is all good, because it does seem to accomplish that incredibly well.
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2016, 03:12:02 AM »

MRDRCHAIN is a pretty impressive work. What tools did you use in the production, and what were your artistic influences?

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2016, 09:37:09 AM »

Looking good.  I like the athosphere and the driving seems quite fun. Smiley

It has taken a considerable amount of development time to come up with a system which allows the NPC cars to drive in a way that is fully natural, with no "cheat" abilities, while still being good enough to keep up with a player. Hence the AI driving featured in the above gameplay video. While I am not entirely sure if, for whichever reasons, a majority of players are concerned by this, I would love to read what you think and feel about this subject.
My guess is that you've played racing games that were "realistic" enough that if you make a mistake then there was no way you could catch up.  Conversely, in your game it would be possible that the player could do certain moves that slow the NPC cars down significantly or get them stuck and gain significant distance - hence no tension.   So, my guess is that some form of "cheating" will be needed to maintain any type of gameplay you wish the player to have.
You're certainly raising valid questions and I have some ideas for a subtle, more natural-feeling "rubber-banding" behavior. Apart from that, yes, if the player manages to lose the goons behind... there goes the tension. They'll still be trying to find where the player went if they're not stuck. It will definitely be very fine balancing to get this aspect right. Adapting the game to the player's driving skill will probably be the most tricky thing.

What's the goal of this game? It seems like I want to out-run the goons that are in chase... or am I chasing someone?
Is the road authored, or generated?

Right now it looks like an interactive film scene- which is all good, because it does seem to accomplish that incredibly well.
Very simply put, the goal is to drive from A to B, with various obstacles on the way. The goons, the terrain. I know, I'm still being kind of purposefully vague atm.

The roads are authored although I do think about procedural generation for some special scenarios.

MRDRCHAIN is a pretty impressive work. What tools did you use in the production, and what were your artistic influences?
Thank you. The idea for MRDRCHAIN started with an etching of "sliceman", the main character, I did back in 1997. Then I had the idea of the chain of lightbulbs stabbing themselves in the back...
The tools used were: hand-drawn sketches on paper, then 3DCoat for organic models and finally Maya for the rest. 3DCoat was a huge time-saver with it's voxel sculpting and semi-automatic retopo. For example, everything in the image below was done in it:

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »

You're certainly raising valid questions and I have some ideas for a subtle, more natural-feeling "rubber-banding" behavior. Apart from that, yes, if the player manages to lose the goons behind... there goes the tension. They'll still be trying to find where the player went if they're not stuck. It will definitely be very fine balancing to get this aspect right. Adapting the game to the player's driving skill will probably be the most tricky thing.

The "rubber-banding" behavior sounds good. Smiley   If the There could even be some places where the enemies could take shortcuts.  That could be a sudden tension increase situation where the player might think that they got some distance between themselves and the enemies and then the enemy vehicle suddenly appears - maybe in front or slamming into the player's vehicle.  Assuming it fit's the gameplay.

Do you have a game title in mind (e.g. Time Rodent) or will you keep Driving Survival?  Seems like you're using TR for the videos and if that is  the title than it might be better to use that so that people will remember and later recognize the game as that.

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2016, 02:17:36 AM »

The "rubber-banding" behavior sounds good. Smiley   If the There could even be some places where the enemies could take shortcuts.  That could be a sudden tension increase situation where the player might think that they got some distance between themselves and the enemies and then the enemy vehicle suddenly appears - maybe in front or slamming into the player's vehicle.  Assuming it fit's the gameplay.
Yes, that's one of the behaviors I had in mind, the shortcuts. Another one would be to make the goons drive more accurately (racing line, no unnecessary sliding around) when they are further behind the player until they get close enough. Then they would start to drive more nervously, making small mistakes, going more sideways. That would prolong the approaching phase and thus intensify the tension buildup.

Do you have a game title in mind (e.g. Time Rodent) or will you keep Driving Survival?  Seems like you're using TR for the videos and if that is  the title than it might be better to use that so that people will remember and later recognize the game as that.
You're absolutely right and I've been thinking about a fitting game title since a couple days. "Driving Survival" is too generic and "Time Rodent" is the title of my last animation film. Since a few months, I'm writing down the concept for this game on paper and during this process, I ditched the vast majority of themes and elements inspired from the film, including the main character, because I want to go in a new and unexplored direction.
I thought the czech word for darkness which is "tma" would be nice but then found out it's the title of a science-fiction novel by Ondrej Neff... Right now I'm inclining toward some kind of completely made-up or combination of words. With 7,454,224,484 humans on this planet, staying original is becoming quite hard  Cheesy

Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2016, 04:08:19 AM »

This looks amazing!

[following]

Soul Challenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2016, 04:13:16 AM »

This looks amazing!

[following]
Thank you!  Smiley

Further progress on physics-based locomotion. Here's a recent test:

Stylistically too cartoony and the movement is also too fast. This approach should be a huge time-saver during production though.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2016, 05:47:47 AM »

that's horrifying

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2016, 07:45:36 AM »

Love the aesthetics of the world.

NineTattooedDragons
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 11:48:52 AM »

This is looking really good. I wish the Mad Max game took a few cues from you Smiley

ShuyanSaga.com/
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »

Please, please don't skimp on SFX. The look and feel of this is incredibly strong- some equally powerful sound and music effects will really push this to 11. The sounds needs to be as menacing and aggressive (maybe even more so) than the rest.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »

Indie games are looking more and more impressive every year...  My Word!

Sentionaut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »

I just discovered this DevLog, and I'm definetely following it.
East European surreal artists never cease to amaze me.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »

You're absolutely right and I've been thinking about a fitting game title since a couple days. "Driving Survival" is too generic and "Time Rodent" is the title of my last animation film. Since a few months, I'm writing down the concept for this game on paper and during this process, I ditched the vast majority of themes and elements inspired from the film, including the main character, because I want to go in a new and unexplored direction.
I thought the czech word for darkness which is "tma" would be nice but then found out it's the title of a science-fiction novel by Ondrej Neff... Right now I'm inclining toward some kind of completely made-up or combination of words. With 7,454,224,484 humans on this planet, staying original is becoming quite hard  Cheesy
While a similar novel title for the last century is not likely going to be an issue with bringing up associations, the Texas Medical Association and many other acronyms might. Wink   I agree that lots of ideas have been taken but there's still a lot more out there.

Then Wheels of Darkness it is!    Or do you prefer Dark Drive  or perhaps Shadow Wheels?   Grin   Though, somehow those may not encapsulate some aspects/mechanics (e.g. chase) too well.  I'm looking forward to what you come up with. Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic