Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:19:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel art for new game - In Game screen cap - crits and suggestions
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Pixel art for new game - In Game screen cap - crits and suggestions  (Read 15014 times)
IHaveFaith
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 02:45:25 PM »

Well I liked the plant avatar so much I'm going to use it as my profile pic. Thanks for setting it all up for me Devr0s. Now we just have to get you to do some animations for it too!!
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 08:11:12 AM »

Alright, getting the hang of the grass. Went for some overgrowth so we can get the old overgrown feel. I am thinking this should do for now and let me move on to some other stuff. Walls are still placeholder, eventually they will get some more detail and colour treatment. ART IS HARD

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 07:50:45 AM »

OK, so we are pivoting a bit on the design of our game. We have moved away from the level editor core game to a resource collecting style of gameplay where you collect the things you place instead of having them all in an editor, effectively adding a game layer to the tiles you get rather than just having an editor window. This solves many issues we had around the level of customization we were trying to give the player. Now we control it more.

This is in line with ideas and prototypes we had ages ago so we are happy it has gone this direction. More to come soon!

Below - name - and health system in! (combat also in)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:17:58 AM by Devr0s » Logged

JintanSper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »

I can't wait to try this, I'm not feeling the font though.

Come forth Rush'n!
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 05:38:22 AM »

== edit AUg 30 -- we replaced the font ;p see it in other images ==

I can't wait to try this, I'm not feeling the font though.

Thanks! Ya, we can't wait to get it out there for you guys to jump in! The font will change Smiley its just Unity default Arial ;p Doing some design changes right now which we feel really help focus us!

The game is still about building your own world, but now we gamified the way you acquire the things you place in the world (before it was just a tile editor).

Some more screens to come as we iron out more of the design! In the meantime, let us know if there are any type of player avatar you would like to see (so far we have the three, Painiac, Modok and Happy Roots)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:11:40 PM by Devr0s » Logged

Xer0~Paige
Level 0

!(quite)

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 10:09:31 PM »

Absolutely loving the greenery and sprites.

I might suggest a little more texture on the walls / roof? Just to add a little visual interest and grit, perhaps darken those little lines you see running through the ground tiles slightly.

As for designs, how about a pure robot head?

Don't know if anyone else ever read these, but I was thinking along the lines of:

I think my favourite thing about this villain was that he was supposed to represent a computer virus but he only spoke in BASIC.

Some fat little alien in a spaceship might be good too, like Krang from TMNT?
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 06:39:36 PM »

Absolutely loving the greenery and sprites.
I might suggest a little more texture on the walls / roof? Just to add a little visual interest and grit, perhaps darken those little lines you see running through the ground tiles slightly.

Thanks! Glad you like it so far! I agree that some of those lines on the floor tiles need to pop a little more, will look at this again when we circle around back to environment.

As for designs, how about a pure robot head?
Some fat little alien in a spaceship might be good too, like Krang from TMNT?

Hmm, Painiac is robotic but he's more of the 50's brain in a jar trope so I think a pure Robot head would be super cool-gonna have to think on it a bit.

Also KRANG! Yes. It shall be done.

We are currently shifting focus to the remaining systems of the core game play so new art work is on the back burner while we get the functionality of the existing stuff in. Krang I can't resist though ;p

Thanks

PS love your ava, and also is Ancestral Trail worth reading?

Xer0~Paige
Level 0

!(quite)

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 11:26:20 PM »

Thanks! Glad you found the suggestions useful!

I'm excited for this game. Do me a favour and PM me when there's a build ready.  Hand Any KeyHuh?Hand Joystick

Also, Ancestral Trail was kind of poorly written but the artwork was incredible. If you can find them on eBay or something, there's a fantasy set and a science fiction set. They can be great to flick through for visual inspiration and every issue had a different "boss" (some kind of giant, hideous monster, usually) that the hero had to defeat, so lots of weird character designs.
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 03:05:51 PM »

I'm excited for this game. Do me a favour and PM me when there's a build ready.  Hand Any KeyHuh?Hand Joystick

Will do! Here is the Krang inspired new sprite! Could be better but I am lazy ;p You can see that I took some damage after shooting it out with IHaveFaith as Mowdok (although I defeated him few times ;p). Going to need a name for the Krang sprite... any ideas?

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 04:33:22 PM »

little head tweak - callign it done for now, getting sidetracked away from gameplay!  Angry Cheesy

Xer0~Paige
Level 0

!(quite)

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2015, 10:26:17 PM »

He looks amazing.

Might I suggest something along the lines of "Invader"? An unwanted guest from beyond the stars?
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 04:51:42 PM »

He looks amazing.

Thanks!

Might I suggest something along the lines of "Invader"? An unwanted guest from beyond the stars?

I was thinking more of a play on the name Krang like Klang so people can tell its paying homage. Invader is good though, we'll save it for an enemy class!

Here is an anim I did to help IhaveFaith implement the structure for the player anims. Its not the greatest and really needs tentacle movement and bobbing but I am too lazy!

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »

and one more - again lazy with the details but should do for now! This is another idle that would cycle in after sitting idle for a while  Tongue

Xer0~Paige
Level 0

!(quite)

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 04:08:07 PM »

I'll be picking Klang, yo  Hand Money Left
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2015, 05:15:34 PM »

With a summer season coming bit of a slow down, but will be back asap!

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 09:48:37 AM »

Been awhile, busy with day job  but still plugging away! Added placeholder player weapon visual test. Borrowed a weapon from a favorite game, Nuclear Throne by Vlambeer. Since you move with keyboard and aim/fire with mouse we are testing out weapons similar in visual style to nuclear throne (weapon on a 360 pivot, goes behind ava when above horizon line). One reason is due to time. No time to draw and animate 8 full directions, they just flip left or right (like Nuclear throne). I would love to have 8 directions for them but don't have the time to draw and animate them all. This is also why everything is on little jets floating right now (no walk anims needed). If we find an artist to join us in the future then great, we can add more complex anims and avas but for now this is what are going with for alpha.

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »

OK, added a couple new weapons to replace the borrowed Nuclear Throne weapons  Wink

Also adding another visual for the avatars for when you are moving angle/straight upwards. This is to help with the flip of the weapon to you back once you pass the 180 mark so it looks like you are pointing the other way.

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »

UPDATED first OP with more info, give a quick read if you are interested

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 01:38:17 PM »

A quick lazy drawing to capture the theme of our game. Durr...?

I will do a good pixel art version at some point with good colours and actual pixeling

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 08:51:19 PM »

Little weapon rotation avatar flip test using ShareX to capture the GIF. Share X drops some frames but you get the idea. This is cropped for the gif.  Beer!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic