Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:53:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel art for new game - In Game screen cap - crits and suggestions
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel art for new game - In Game screen cap - crits and suggestions  (Read 14976 times)
JWK5
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »

little head tweak - callign it done for now, getting sidetracked away from gameplay!  Angry Cheesy

Is that Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Either way, looks good.
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 06:02:28 PM »

little head tweak - callign it done for now, getting sidetracked away from gameplay!  Angry Cheesy

Is that Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Either way, looks good.

Yes, its a homage to Krang, we call him Klang, glad you recognized it

thanks for the positive comments Beer! Probably going to make a lot of references like that when doing more characters  Hand Pencil  Smiley

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2015, 07:16:46 PM »

Looking at the tiles, the organic tiles (grass, etc.) seem to have quite a bit of detail while the inorganic tiles like the walls and grills have very little detail.  It's nice to highlight the difference between organic and inorganic but at the same time what this does for me is make the inorganic tiles look unifinished.  I would suggest adding a little bit more detail like rust or weathering so that there is a more consistent overall look.  Otherwise looks great, and love the Krang reference!

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2015, 07:48:35 PM »

Looking at the tiles, the organic tiles (grass, etc.) seem to have quite a bit of detail while the inorganic tiles like the walls and grills have very little detail.  It's nice to highlight the difference between organic and inorganic but at the same time what this does for me is make the inorganic tiles look unifinished.  I would suggest adding a little bit more detail like rust or weathering so that there is a more consistent overall look.  Otherwise looks great, and love the Krang reference!

Thanks for the crits! I totally agree, those walls have no detail at all, just some edges and bit of graphic on them and need more detail. They are actually the first walls that were done and are placeholder. Grass was iterated a few times while I tried to develop a bit of a style. We will get to some better world geo after we get some more of the base gameplay stuff done. I am actually excited when I can start doing more world geo pieces. Thanks again!  Toast Right

On that note, we just got all the avatar move and idle anims hooks hooked up. Just simple idle and moves right now but more later, just wanted it working  Panda

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2015, 09:53:32 AM »

I think decals, material definition and worn down tweaks can do wonders to make innorganic stuirctures stand out

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2015, 10:14:55 AM »

I think decals, material definition and worn down tweaks can do wonders to make innorganic stuirctures stand out

Thanks Alevice, do you have any examples of decals and material definition you think are well done?

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »

Added an idle 2 animation for Painiac, just have to do one for Modok and we have all the mvp idle anims in yay!

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 05:12:23 AM »

And lastly Modok gets his idle 2. Kind of skimped on it but stil think it looks OK. I need to move on to more world geo so this is it!

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2016, 08:38:04 AM »

Heads up, hope everyone had great holidays! Excited for our game this year! Hope to have more stuff sooon!  Coffee

Xer0~Paige
Level 0

!(quite)

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »

Looks great, as always. Painiac is a fantastic addition, looks like a combination of several of the ideas we were throwing around. I can't get over the swimming fish.

Modok's head shine is perfect but I would recommend adding a single transition from for the face. You could favour it toward one extreme or the other but it would essentially be a copy paste operation across two frames if you are working with layers.

By the way, I just noticed the shadows look a bit odd when they are smaller beneath the sprites. Bigger one looks fine but the smaller frame is basically a hexagon. Avoid the single pointy pixels on either side and maybe try tapering the bottom of the shadows a bit more. It will have a big effect.
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2016, 05:02:12 PM »

Looks great, as always. Painiac is a fantastic addition, looks like a combination of several of the ideas we were throwing around. I can't get over the swimming fish.

Thanks! Glad you like it. Maybe Painiac isn't angry, just misunderstood  Giggle

Modok's head shine is perfect but I would recommend adding a single transition from for the face. You could favour it toward one extreme or the other but it would essentially be a copy paste operation across two frames if you are working with layers.

I don't quite understand, do you mean an extra frame between resting face and teeth grit face so it isnt so abrupt?

... Avoid the single pointy pixels on either side and maybe try tapering the bottom of the shadows a bit more. It will have a big effect.

Thanks, I will do that for sure! Good eye!

Xer0~Paige
Level 0

!(quite)

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2016, 05:12:19 AM »

I don't quite understand, do you mean an extra frame between resting face and teeth grit face so it isnt so abrupt?

That's exactly what I mean!

I mean you can get away with a lot with an aesthetic this simple. But it'll add a bit of life with an intermediate frame. In fact if you PM me the work file I could show you what I had in mind.
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2016, 07:05:32 PM »

Sorry for delays! Hoping our next major updates will be moving to a new thread in the dev section!

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2016, 08:28:46 AM »

Looks rad Wizard

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 08:02:50 AM »

Thanks to everyone who have followed along. Unfortunately at this time the project has been put on indefinite hiatus in its current form  Cry while I focus on another project. I do hope to start this project new and fresh afterwards with a new team and new core game design so stay tuned  Toast Left

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic