Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 12:58:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPanema - A stylished low-poly geom game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Panema - A stylished low-poly geom game  (Read 1682 times)
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2014, 08:19:09 AM »

The Project:
Panema (just a codename, will probably change in the future) will be a 3D game, top-down with gameplay a la bomberman / zelda (yeah! a-rpg with levels). The idea is not to have bombs, nor swords, but 3~5 classes with skills.
The goal is to defeat every enemy in the level solo, or with friends. Or else, go in a battle mode to defeat your friends!

Latest screenshots:

(Click for higher-res gfycat video) I liked the purplish shadow.

I've made the point lights! Also improved the lighting system to add shadows and highlights based on how much a surface is lit. Here are some screenshots of the progress:

First point light on-scene, no highights yet.

1 directional light, 5 point lights

No directional, 5 point lights. Here you can see how shadows are playing nice on the whole screen

5 point lights near each other. Here you can see the highlights purely. NICE!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:22:48 PM by Gtoknu » Logged

wut
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 08:19:36 AM »

Why I started the project:
As it's been ages since I last used C++ (I've been using XNA or LibGDX over the last 3 years), I decided to get back to it with a whole new project, and I'll try to make my last creative ideas into it.

The Project:
Panema (just a codename, will probably change in the future) will be a 3D game, top-down with gameplay a la bomberman / zelda (yeah! a-rpg with levels). The idea is not to have bombs, nor swords, but 3~5 classes with skills.
The goal is to defeat every enemy in the level solo, or with friends. Or else, go in a battle mode to defeat your friends!

Art:
I'm going for a very cool style that I'm not used to see in a lot of games, the stylished low-poly art.
Here are some of my inspirations:
Low poly Geometric Art tumblr
Geo a day
I'll be posting more inspiration later.

The game:
I started by making in Blender a simple render of a style that I want to mimick:

This is a render in Blender, not in-game.

This looked pretty good for me. So I exported the mesh and started working on the game to import it, made a sketch of a deferred renderer and here's the result:

(Click for hi-res gfycat video) I liked the purplish shadow.

Here's a look at a higher resolution:

Next:
I'm going to see if I expand the deferred renderer to include point lights (otherwise, it would be useless)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:25:44 AM by Gtoknu » Logged

wut
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 02:22:28 PM »

I've made the point lights! Also improved the lighting system to add shadows and highlights based on how much a surface is lit. Here are some screenshots of the progress:

First point light on-scene, no highights yet.

1 directional light, 5 point lights

No directional, 5 point lights. Here you can see how shadows are playing nice on the whole screen

5 point lights near each other. Here you can see the highlights purely. NICE!

Next:
I'll be fixing the lights to add the highlights to geometry very close to lights, and will probably finish adding SSAO by the end of the day!

wut
Yxven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 02:37:03 PM »

I don't know if this helps you since you're not using Unity, but this asset package looks like it would really help making a low poly game. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18572

In addition to premade models, it can be used to convert models to low polygon models. Although, I don't know to what extent it can be configured, so I've no idea if it can match your current art style. You're also not limited to using asset store stuff in unity games. They just have to be used in a game. Hence, you should be able to convert a model from within unity and then bring it to your C++ game.

(I'm unaffiliated with the creators and have never used that package)
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »

@Yxven Seems great, although I already have a good art pipeline Tongue

@Game

Not much new stuff to see. I've been implementing a Entity-component system, so it's all been shifting code I already have to the ecs, nothing fancy new to see.

wut
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:59:04 AM »

I had made a similar prototype with similar aesthetics, I suggest having a base model and you can then offset its vertices randomly while building the buffers to achieve a unique look for each one of the trees.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30180.0
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:17:20 PM »

I had made a similar prototype with similar aesthetics, I suggest having a base model and you can then offset its vertices randomly while building the buffers to achieve a unique look for each one of the trees.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30180.0

Wow, thanks for the tip Quarry, it does make sense, thinking of it, I can even give each instance a random number, use this number as a seed and nudge the vertices at the vertex shader stage! I'll try it soon :D

wut
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 11:10:56 PM »

Ages since last update. i haven't found time to work on this proj, but today I did some good to it;

I added support for models with more than 1 sub-mesh (like cloth+body mesh), which goes on to adding support to multi-textured objects. So I added the classic Sinbad to the scene to test.

I liked it so much that I started coding some basic movement system.

It uses Box2D underlying, and also has some cool stuff on top of it, so soon I'll try to replicate wolfire's procedural anim thingy.

Here comes the GIF!

Gfycat alternative: http://gfycat.com/ThoseEverlastingArmadillo

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, on developer side, I've implemented a logging system to help me debug the app. A quick google search led me to https://github.com/easylogging/easyloggingpp, which I found to be an AWESOME library. It's small, has no dependencies, it's easy to use, is very flexible and I could switch to it easily. Now my logging system is nicely homogenous! (It was a mess. std::cout over here, printf over there, return string result on some...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:18:32 PM by Gtoknu » Logged

wut
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »

I said animations were coming, so I did a simple mesh on blender with a simple animation and spent TWO WHOLE DAYS researching and trying to wrap my head around GPU skinning. The real problem was Assimp with it's node graph, but I got it to work!

Here is it:

Gfycat alternative: http://gfycat.com/PeacefulChiefGallowaycow

I'm so happy I FINALLY implemented this hell!

wut
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 12:43:42 AM »

Today, I fixed a lot of bugs to allow the animations to work with more complex models and more complex animations, like the one shown in the following gif:

Gfycat alternative: http://gfycat.com/LikelyPowerlessAmazonparrot

I can't change animations on the fly yet, this is what i'm thinking of working on tomorrow!

wut
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 12:38:05 AM »

Today's work:

I can now play two animations SIMULTANEOUSLY.
The running animation is separated in two animations (idk, who the fuck had this idea?), so I coded some stuff to play more than one animation at once and join the results. So now the body and the legs are animated!

Moreover: I coded some state machine and transitioning, so now I can go from idle to walking seamlessly! Man this is getting very smooth!

Here is a gif:

As always, Gfycat alternative: http://gfycat.com/SeriousTidyDeer

I'm very excited, this is really geting somewhere now!

wut
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic