Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:50:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBioshock?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Bioshock?  (Read 10958 times)
Zaphos
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 02:04:49 PM »

In Deus Ex you had a lot of ways to beat a level. You could go through it not killing one enemy, using stealth, hacking abilities, greater agility, or just good old running guns'a'blazing, though it wasn't nearly as easy to do so as other FPS's. From what I got out of BioShock, it seems you have to kill everything on sight. You're just given more ways to do so.
Bioshock does seem to be offer a pretty wide range of approaches -- not sure it's as wide as Deus Ex, but I think

< this video is pretty comforting on that front.  It shows some hacking, trap setting, and environmental cleverness.  Wikipedia also says there's a camouflage tonic that allows the player to be invisible when not moving, so I assume there's room for sneaking as well.
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 02:11:28 AM »

Love these suits, so I went OOOHh.. when I saw the game.

http://www.divingheritage.com/armoredkern2.htm

They're called

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_diving_suit
ZombiePixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 05:36:08 PM »

But by now shouldn't you have realized that the consoles are strictly in the "pretty pictures" business.  As long as you unplug your brain and surrender to the big shiny 'splosions you'll be happy with your experience.

I wanted to weep when I saw Medal of Honor Airborne footage from E3 because it looks gorgeous but it's going to be an absolutely soulles, paint-by-numbers, Bugs Bunny level of realism experience.  The developers all watched Saving Private Ryan (only the fight scenes, mind you) and based their entire game library on that.

Sigh...just wait for Halo 3 if you want to be truly baffled by the hype-machine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:55:26 PM by ZombiePixel » Logged
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 03:54:42 AM »

Would someone mind explaining why everyone loves BioShock so much?

Yeah I think it's one of the most over hyped games. Ever.

Read this great and totally unbiased review of the game to understand why: http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=83

Petri Purho
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 04:19:10 AM »

Read this great and totally unbiased review

lol

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 06:36:07 AM »

i have decided not to buy or play anything until im done with my god damned IGF demo.
bioshock comes out tomorrow, but only 41 days are left between me and the dreaded october 1st.

this SUCKS.

i want to play to sucker all week long.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 07:28:32 AM »

I'm really excited about it. It's going to be good. It is good. It's been getting straight 100s on Metacritic. It's the second highest rated game of all time at this point.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 07:38:02 AM »

Put in a preorder for this the other day. Missed the news about the PC demo today so have to start the torrent when I get home tonight. That sucks. On the other hand. It's out soon! Hurrah!

But yeah the hype has only just got to me really. Prior to about a week ago I still thought the game looked good but that the mechanics seemed unproven and might get tired. There also seemed to be a lot of scripted event stuff going on. But I think that was all just teaser stuff and the real game will have a bunch of stuff none of us have even seen let alone heard about and can't possibly imagine. Yes, I do. YES

ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »

Does anyone think I'll be able to walk into a Wal*Mart at midnight and pick this up?

I mean, due to the Toys 'R Us leak we all know the game's been shipped for a week, so they've got to have copies...
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 09:55:13 AM »

Does anyone know if the demo is available through sources other than Fileplanet or Bittorrent? I have the game preloaded off Steam, but I'd sort of like to try out a demo before shelling out $50, to make sure it will function on my computer. However, I would prefer not to wait a million years for the torrent to finish or pay $5 to use Fileplanet's crappy service (more for the principle than anything else).

Formerly "I Like Cake."
jaredbloom
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2007, 10:08:06 AM »

I'm somewhere near halfway through the game, and so far it's pretty awesome. There's something really unnerving about respawning in the machines and then going back and killing enemies though, because now I'm just relying on that and not even caring about how many times I die.

I'm guessing it will be kind of like when Oblivion came out and people loved it until they noticed the leveling up system. It's a pretty glaring flaw that should have been addressed a long time ago. Still, I can see why everyone is giving this 95-100 percent reviews.

EDIT: Gamespot pretty much nailed their review:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:53:36 PM by jaredbloom » Logged
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »

Demo's on Steam as well as most game download sites now, go give it a try.

Both ATI and NVidia have custom-made beta drivers optimized for this demo available, so if you get the chop-chop-choppies, install the new drivers. It really smoothed out combat for me.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 12:57:02 AM »

I got the new drivers installed, but the demo combat still gets a bit choppy with those post-processing effects. However, the game looks so pretty that I'm really reluctant to turn the graphics down at all. I hope the game proper is a bit less linear than the demo, however. The tutorial text was reasonably unobtrusive, but it did still seem to be a bit 'go to the next room and shoot that guy.'

All in all, I'm still excited about the release tomorrow -- it does seem like a lot more than your usual first person shooter.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 04:04:19 AM »

I've downloaded the demo twice now and both times (bit torrent and from some http mirror) it was corrupt Sad

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 10:37:07 AM »

Try Steam! They have the demo up now and they tend to have very fast download speeds.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 10:59:41 AM »

yep. getting now!

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 11:16:33 AM »

motherfuckers.

so i am enforcing this no game dit on myself while i try to finish my demo.
sucks, but i can manage. then bioshock comes out today and everybody buys it. there's guys with bioshock boxes in their hands EVERYWHERE. but ok, ok, just work on your game, its all for the gerater good.

then THIS.
i get an email from my IGDA chapter saying that for our next meeting, bioshock's lead programmer is coming over to give us a little post-mortem. and its on september the 11th.

GOD DAMN.
i wont have played any of the game by now....and i sure as hell cant go to a post-mortem for such a story heavy game. its gonna spoil everything! the weapons, the environments, the powers. i havent been looking at all the media on purpose. just the trailer. and now the demo.

fuck fuckity fuck.

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 03:19:39 PM »

then THIS.
i get an email from my IGDA chapter saying that for our next meeting, bioshock's lead programmer is coming over to give us a little post-mortem. and its on september the 11th.

GOD DAMN.

LOL.

I'm in similar situation, but knowing that it's that much worse for you, made me feel really great :D

So thanks for cheering me up.

Petri Purho
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2007, 03:26:22 PM »

OK, I was kind of hyped? I guess. But now... now I am SUPER HYPED. And my copy was DISPATCHED TODAY.

AAAH *explode*

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2007, 05:10:37 PM »

If it helps at all, while the demo ran fine, the commercial release of Bioshock locks up my computer about every five minutes.

Damn you, technology!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic