Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:36:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBioshock?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Bioshock?  (Read 10890 times)
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2007, 06:06:33 PM »

Commercial release is even smoother than the demo for me (except for an audio glitch in Welcome). You got the latest drivers?

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 12:45:47 AM »

Yeah, it appears it was only the first section that randomly locked up for me. It's smooth sailing now except for the occasional severe framerate drop during combat. I'm trying to think of what I can do other than turning the graphics options down, because I really like the look of all the fancy shaders.

Maybe I'll try defragmenting the drive it's on... 8 gigs installed all over the place can't be particularly efficient.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2007, 12:54:17 AM »

Could be the AI that's causing that frame rate drop, I noticed a drop in the demo when two flying drones were fighting each other. Was fine after that and before in the same area. In which case moving your graphics settings down a few notches probably won't help all that much Sad

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 10:29:24 AM »

Yeah, the big daddy/little sister fights tend to slow it down quite a lot, while a lot of other fights are fine.

I'm actually amazed that I can run the game at about 30FPS with all the detail settings cranked on my 2.8GHz Pentium 4 with 2 gigs of ram and only a GeForce 7600. It's actually a bit below the recommended requirements. I congratulate Irrational for making a pretty game that can actually run decently on a two year old machine.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2007, 01:53:06 PM »

I think they're making loads more sales due to this, as well. Loads of people on the net saying "Wow, the demo actually runs ok. I can play this. I have pre-ordered." Very nice.

Hedenius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2007, 09:47:25 AM »

I played through the Demo today. A little short for a 2gb download, don't you think?

Anyway, this is my first impression:

* Mouse control is wacked. It's very unprecise and clumsy. I really don't know why they haven't fixed this. Battles are not fun, only annoying since you can't aim properly.

* The way death is handled pretty much sucks. I highly dislike that you just spawn again without any penalty. This actually makes it better to die then to use your health packs if you are close to a spawn place, and that's pretty lame.

* The environment is awesome! It's a thrill to just walk around and see all the cool scripted events and beautifully designed areas.

* Enemy design rocks! I love how all the enemies and characters in the demo looks and sounds.

* Almost every monster seems to drop eve-shots. This makes it easy to just use Electro Bolt all the time to stun all the enemies. But when you think about how bad the mouse control is, this is actually a must.

I thought that this game would be an instant buy, but im actually not convinced yet.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:50:14 AM by Pyrrhon » Logged
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2007, 12:34:45 PM »

Well, Bioshock utterly stole this bank holiday weekend from me. What a fantastic ride with loads of memorable bits and lovely environment/level design. However, it really is disgracefully like System Shock 2, isn't it? It's amazing how many elements have been recycled from it (although they're all good 'uns so I don't mind).

On my second time through now and if anything, I'm enjoying it more this time.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »

I've had a bit of time with it this weekend too. It's been good. I have a few criticisms but nothing that should take precedence over how absolutely awesome the game is. Seriously, the atmosphere, the setting, the recordings, the events, the story... it's all really great. I'm really slow though, as I can't go charging around because my boots seem to be quaking too much for me to run. Stupid boots.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2007, 02:45:45 PM »

I'm still having stability issues, so I've pretty much quit playing it in favour of working on my new game project.

It's unfortunate, because I really enjoyed the parts of it I got to play, but it's just too much wasted time to wait for ten minutes to boot my computer, start Bioshock and load a save just to have it lock up the system five minutes in.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic