Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:02:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDash & ATLAS [Pixel Platformer]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Dash & ATLAS [Pixel Platformer]  (Read 16395 times)
ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »

I think readability is the most important thing when it comes to UI design. My personal favorite is B/left. Reduced and clean look. I understand the progression from left to right, but I don't like the small circle-elements on top of the health bar. I think they look kinda noisy. Maybe there is a more elegant solution to make them look less stacked onto the bar.

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »

I think readability is the most important thing when it comes to UI design. My personal favorite is B/left. Reduced and clean look. I understand the progression from left to right, but I don't like the small circle-elements on top of the health bar. I think they look kinda noisy. Maybe there is a more elegant solution to make them look less stacked onto the bar.

Thanks a lot for your input, I'm going to look into more options for the subtank. I tried a few more things and made an image, if anyone would like to help out with this:

http://i.imgur.com/Qnuab1I.png

After the fact I realize I'm missing the option to have floating sub-tanks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:20:14 PM by Grog » Logged

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 08:38:17 PM »

Playing around more...

So far my plan was that Dash would use a subtank system, and ATLAS would feature a recharge shield. Decided to try something a bit different for the subtanks/shield. I like the idea of a connected UI, but will keep playing around and try to get something that is simplified while hopefully looking good.

I need to go to bed and stop staring at little bars.

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 12:15:04 PM »

Once again been a while. Have been working on boring stuff in my code (cleaning), but mostly focusing on pixel art. Which leads me to... the latest tank redesign! Opinions would be greatly appreciated, I think it's much cleaner looking than the old one.

As for the weapon on the tank the new idea is to make it a side mounted piece. You would see it in the foreground in one direction and in the background in the other direction. The plan is to make it aimable in 45 degree angles forward, angled up, and straight up. The tank will also be able to "crouch" to hit lower enemies.

Also some other misc stuff and enemies. The shell dude totally isn't slightly based on a character in Kerfuffle.

Edit:

Updated the tank some more.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:47:17 PM by Grog » Logged

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 05:23:46 PM »

Still working on it, but here is the new tank in action. Please note the gun mechanics aren't balanced in any capacity yets, so this gun likely won't remain as such in game, but you get the idea.

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 06:16:45 PM »

Been working on the character.

Happy with the direction it took. I'm still debating if I want a gun always out approach, or if it it'll be put away a few seconds after shooting.

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 06:50:31 PM »

Did a lottttt of work on D&A this week and got a lot done. Saving/Loading/Persistance/Basic Progression/Unlocks/More advanced (and hopefully better?), lots of little bits of polish and minor changes. There are a few more things I need to clean up and add and then the idea is to post a video along side a tiny demo.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »

Definitely reminds me of Blaster Master (still need to beat that game)

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 07:38:15 PM »

Definitely reminds me of Blaster Master (still need to beat that game)

It's really hard, with the two lives and game over system, and no saving. :p I've chugged away slowly at it on my 3ds using save states.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 08:09:50 PM »

Heh, I probably played it like once 10-15 years ago.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 09:26:12 PM »

the tank reminds me of metal slug, definitely.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 09:55:44 PM »

I really like your health bars Smiley. I'm actually inspired to re-do mine now  Beer!

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
pLaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 12:24:51 PM »

I really like the recent pixelart and animations of the main characters Dash and ATLAS. However, the few enemy sprites I've seen don't fit the quality of the main characters (except the big robot). But I assume, you are still developing them. I'm looking forward to see mor 'techy' stuff, like the romotic boss enemy from one of your earlier posts.

The whole idea of having to switch between driving an armed vehicle and exploring by foot in order to advance is really appealing. I really would like to play this and see what different situations arise from that. Are you planning to make it necessary to switch between those two modes to progress in the game, or are you going for a more 'open world' approach?

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »

Thanks for taking a look pLaw, your input is appreciated. The enemy style has been kept simple due to my abilities, which have improved greatly since starting this project. We'll see how it goes, I'll probably rework them at some point. There will be a mix of organic and robotic enemies, the robotic ones likely being the main threat of the game.

The world be as open as any other Metroidvania, requiring certain skills and abilities to reach certain areas. Both play styles will be required throughout the game. Some of the times one still may be preferred, but not required.

A lot of things came together really well really fast in the past week, so I'm excited. I'd like to share some stuff soon but I want to get a few additions and and some stuff cleaned up.

Question I'd like to ask you guys:
How appealing is the concept of ATLAS (the tank) being a character?  So far I'm inspired by the idea of Zeldas with characters like Navi or King of Red Lions, or Agro from SOTC, and I realized recently, even Chickensword. I haven't done any writing for the characters yet and am still playing with ideas, but I'm wondering, is it a likable idea?

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »

I've always liked the concept of having a buddy character alongside you in games. I just don't know if a tank is really what I would want. Maybe if it talked or something. But generally, I'd prefer if the side character was smaller than the main character and didn't show up all the time. Like navi/kazooie/midna. Just something to remind you you're not alone in the world. That's just me, though. That's the kind of games I grew up with.

I'm sure the tank thing will work though. It's unique.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:12:44 AM by Octopus Tophat » Logged

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
amateurhour
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 11:30:16 AM »

I was going to say no to the tank as a personality in the game but then I remembered how much I love Tank Girl and Armor so yeah I think it would be pretty awesome.

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »

I've always liked the concept of having a buddy character alongside you in games. I just don't know if a tank is really what I would want. Maybe if it talked or something. But generally, I'd prefer if the side character was smaller than the main character and didn't show up all the time. Like navi/kazooie/midna. Just something to remind you you're not alone in the world. That's just me, though. That's the kind of games I grew up with.

I'm sure the tank thing will work though. It's unique.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well, as I grew up with those characters too. The tank, or should I say, it's AI, would be a character in the story, and essentially your only companion. 

And amateurhour, thanks for the input. I should look up Tank Girl/Armor as I'm not super familiar with it. I think I've seen a movie when I was way younger?

But yeah whether or not I go through with that as a concept depends on entirely how well I feel the writing goes when I get to that stage. But I'd rather not have to change the planned name of the game. Smiley

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 12:48:22 PM »

Awesome work mate! I love the fact that the screen is bumping with life even when things are idle, which is something I lack in Monokai. Keep us updated Wink

bitknight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 07:58:18 AM »

Loving the recent tank changes. Reading through the first page of updates I thought it was cool, by the end of page two I was like "heck yes". Keep up the good work. Not sure if I missed it, but what's this being developed in if you don't mind me asking?
Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »

Loving the recent tank changes. Reading through the first page of updates I thought it was cool, by the end of page two I was like "heck yes". Keep up the good work. Not sure if I missed it, but what's this being developed in if you don't mind me asking?

I'm happy to hear this! :D I'm making this with GameMaker: Studio.

So I'm hoping to have some more stuff to show soon. Been doing a lot of little things that don't necessarily make for good posts. I've made the title screen a bit more presentable, although I will wait until I have the actual "logo" complete. Made a basic music system to make it easier to manage what songs play when.

I know I said in my last major post that I hope to have some in game stuff to show, but I didn't end up reaching that point as quickly as I'd hope. I seem to work in large bursts, and the next big burst should be soon. Will keep you all up to date as it happens!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic