Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:21:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFit Fred - A Journey of Epic Portions!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Fit Fred - A Journey of Epic Portions!  (Read 6238 times)
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 01:53:30 PM »

Looks great!

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 07:03:17 AM »

I have to say, I think the game would be a lot more fun if you were trying to get fat. Getting slim is not very exciting but when you are getting fatter there is always, "Wow! How fat can he get!" And it's more humorous.

Of course if this is a story based game then I would prefer getting slimmer.

Machi & Mark
Level 0

NYC Based Dev Team, Eaters of Bareburger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »

That looks so awesome  Tiger Hand Thumbs Up Right
Looks great!
I have to say, I think the game would be a lot more fun if you were trying to get fat. Getting slim is not very exciting but when you are getting fatter there is always, "Wow! How fat can he get!" And it's more humorous.

Of course if this is a story based game then I would prefer getting slimmer.

Thanks guys! @RujiK: Yeah, that could be DLC!  Wink

Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »

Hey guys! Working on a nice proof of concept (which should be done soon, so check back!), but for now - check out Fat-Fred's slide animation! This is how he gets across the screen to catch the falling food at the beginning of his fitness journey. We wanted something that represented his out-of-shapeness so when his body and animations changed, it would give the game a drastically different feel. We didn't want him to be too silly or body-shaming, so we went through a couple of iterations until we got something that felt right - cute and bubbly - like Fred!

- Machi

Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 07:51:26 AM »

Big news coming this week!

Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 07:15:13 AM »

Hey guys we've been hard at work mapping our (awesome) art assets to the gameplay mockups, tweaking animations and working on cutscenes. Still working on that mockup, but here's a look at our design process for the game's female lead - Darla!

We knew we wanted Fred to have a love interest from the beginning - that classic story of starry eyed love went really well with the cute-but-not-immature vibe we wanted for the game.  Originally, the game starts with Fred and Darla as coworkers sending office messages, but we scrapped that that idea so we wouldn't have to model the office environment, and instead have them correspond from his apartment. We still wanted Darla to look like she worked in a creative field (the office was going to be a design studio!) so our concept process started from there. We gathered a bunch of references from my girlfriend's closet and from other fashionable creatives we knew, and got started on her outfit and general face design first

Darla Outfit and face early concepts

There were a few rounds of back and forth with our Art Director before we got enough choices to really zero in on what we wanted.
While we were going back and forth on which of the early outfit designs was our favorite (they are all soooo good!) our Art Director worked on more detailed versions of the faces that had stood out to us.

Detailed Darla Face Concepts

We decided the best thing to do was to pick and choose different elements form all of those great concepts, to make a sort of Frankenstein-mockup of the direction we wanted Darla's design to go in.

Stage 1                                                                                        Stage 2

The result is the fantastic Darla final we have today! What do you think?

Darla and Fred
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:01:17 AM by Machi & Mark » Logged

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »

I like how he automatically gets a douche-patch when turns fit.
Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 08:48:18 AM »

Yeah, the patch is up for negotiation - I'm guessing that's 1 "nay" ...  Tongue

Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 12:03:18 AM »

Hi guys! Sorry we haven't posted anything in a while. Had to go on hiatus for a bit. But now we're back full throttle! Hope you like the new gifs below.

Eating minigame <Start> animation

Hand Fork Left eating minigame prototype Hand Knife Right
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:15:41 AM by Machi & Mark » Logged

Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »

Also, does anyone know of any good Gif makers?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »

the animations are impressive!
did you work on cartoons previously? This is pro stuff right here.
Well, i use Licecap for gif capturing, when that doesn't work, i just record my screen with FFsplit and export to photoshop
Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »

the animations are impressive!
did you work on cartoons previously? This is pro stuff right here.
Well, i use Licecap for gif capturing, when that doesn't work, i just record my screen with FFsplit and export to photoshop

Hey, thanks for the comment! I've worked on some cartoon-ish commercials and other sorts of 2D animations!
Photoshop seems to be the way to go. Just seems tedious instead of something automated. Thanks for the tip!

stuhp84
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »

I'm guessing Fred also gets plastic surgery for his nose at some point.  Wink In all seriousness fun concept and awesome art design. can't wait to see more.
Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »

I'm guessing Fred also gets plastic surgery for his nose at some point.  Wink In all seriousness fun concept and awesome art design. can't wait to see more.

Thanks. Haha. Yeah, you're right! We're actually modifying Fred's slimmer stages to look more like fat Fred. Keep a look out for more updates!

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »

Hey, this is a really good looking game. I think you have a really strong concept, and I can see you getting some good marketing exposure out of the concept alone. What platforms are you aiming for?

Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »

We're thinking iOS to start, followed by android and then steam depending on sales/demand. What do you think would be best?

Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 09:08:23 PM »

Hello fellow TIG readers! We're looking for local indie devs to meet and potentially collaborate with in NYC or Brooklyn. We personally don't know many in the industry and would love to just get to know and share experiences and whatnot. You know what I mean? Feel free to say hello!

Cheers,

Machi & Mark

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 03:37:07 AM »

We read some studies on low-carb and ketogenic diets, and based our eating-minigame on those

lol. data from animal studies suggests that long term ketogenic diets result in glucose intolerance associated with insufficient insulin production from beta cells, in addition to an actual physical reduction in alpha and beta cell mass. on top of which, this reduction is in an uneven ratio, which may result in metabolic derangements. further, the diet induces a proinflammatory state, an adverse blood lipid profile, hepatic steatosis, hepatic endoplasmic reticulum stress, and basically feeds into type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome. the kind of insano high fat low carb diets that are espoused by crazy people have been shown in humans to result in a lack of suppression of circulating free fatty acids and hypercholesterolemia, which we know can mechanistically contribute towards insulin resistance.

i understand that you're not a scientist, and that's ok. you're making a video game. but i would like you to know that "low carb" is often a crutch relied on by tech people, an overwhelming majority of whom are obese or formerly so, that allows them to switch one pattern of disordered eating for another while feeding an intellectual sense of superiority because they've found cheat codes to the human body, based solely on the misguided view that all weight loss is healthy for some reason.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 03:46:02 AM »

please emphasise exercise moreso than diet. thanks.
Machi & Mark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 09:11:05 AM »

i understand that you're not a scientist, and that's ok. you're making a video game.

Thanks, so Superb Joe!
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:56:24 AM by Machi & Mark » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic