Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:38:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesWebM / Gfycat Support?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: WebM / Gfycat Support?  (Read 28362 times)
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 05:38:54 AM »

As far as I know, though, YouTube only supports 30 FPS, so both 60-FPS Gifs and embedded videos would be appreciated (personal opinion).

For now, but they're actually changing this soon: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460242,00.asp

I've wanted 60 FPS since I first knew YouTube was a thing. No idea why it wasn't there from the beginning.

Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »

In my experience, .mp4 looks too blurry for high-quality gamedev gifs, especially since a lot of them incorporate a little bit of retro style - .webm does a much better job on this. My preference would be Gfycat, because it provides both .webm and .mp4, so the tag can default to the higher-quality .webm version and fallback to .mp4 for mobile and Internet Explorer. Imgur on the other hand only supports .mp4.

This blurriness you're talking about really depends on the mp4 compression. Surely, webm can achieve smaller size for better quality (better compression rate, which much less quality loss). The thing is: you can feed gfycat with a non-compressed mp4, the webm generated will still look nice. Although I cannot speak for imgur's gifv, but I think if the mp4 is generated from a gif, the 256 color restriction makes the compression do less harm to the final quality of the mp4, so less blurry.

wut
Adam_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »

Here is a direct comparison between the options mentioned so far:

Edit: I've tried what happens when directly uploading a raw .avi file to Gfycat. Am pleased by the results, although it doesn't seem much better than uploading a gif.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:24:18 AM by Adam_ » Logged

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »

Pretty sure that if you upload a low resolution scene it will be blurred to hell regardless of what codec is used (lossless codecs aside). Macroblocks are just too big. This is why you see YouTube videos of low-resolution games marked as HD - the original resolution just blurs too much, scaling up the video preserves the details (of course that YouTube's encoding is atrocious isn't helping either).

For the record, I wonder what Nico Nico uses. I remember laughing once because it was in "economy mode" (read: streaming a LD video) and I still could tell the individual pixels somehow =P (although that was a lo-res game, a higher res one and it stops being true but even then the detail isn't completely destroyed, more like a jaggy curve now looks like smooth curve)
Gtoknu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 04:25:27 PM »

Here is a direct comparison between the options mentioned so far:

Edit: I've tried what happens when directly uploading a raw .avi file to Gfycat. Am pleased by the results, although it doesn't seem much better than uploading a gif.

webm in general is much smaller, even the 60fps version was much faster to load on my crappy connection than the 30fps gifv. Although the imgur conversion algorithms seems better, the webm version leaks the colors through the edges a little, giving the blurry effect you mentioned.

wut
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »

Was actually going to post this exact question, but necroing this instead.

Any chances of webm support?

I have some pretty huge gifs in my DevLog that are of much lower quality and larger size that what I could get with a webm.
Usually I'll just link a webm anyway for higher quality, but... native support would be lovely.

Thanks Toast Right

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
tankorsmash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »

Same, this is something I'm interested in. My posts are gif heavy and I'd love to embed more things like gifvs and mp4s.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2018, 06:43:03 AM »

Well, since this topic isn't closed, can I also necro it? Smiley

Is there a way to insert .webm files yet?

I see that the first button in the toolbar still reads "insert flash"...

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »

Nope, and we can’t add support for it as of now. We want to get acces to the forum software eventually and make a few changes, but for the foreseable future we’re not going to add features at all. We simply don’t have the permission to do this as of now.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic