Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:55:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHotseat Multiplayer Freeware: The Best
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Hotseat Multiplayer Freeware: The Best  (Read 41028 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »

Also just a note, I believe your link to Rampart is a link to a shareware game on a pirated site, so it's only "free" in the sense that it's pirated. And even if that particular game were free, that site in general is a site with a ton of pirated games on it, and probably shouldn't be linked to.

Feliz Lombriz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »

I forgot about Triplane! Time to try it out again. Wink

Does one person using the keyboard/mouse and the other person using a joystick equal hotseat multiplayer? Or does hotseat multiplayer only refer to games where you take turns? If the former too, I made a game like that (Alphasix):

*Ahem* Grin Well, the term hotseat itself just means that everybody plays on the same machine. Other common terms for hotseat include local multiplayer, same-console multiplayer, offline multiplayer... and likely some others I can't think of.

There are 2 different categories of hotseat games, however: simultaneous hotseat (SHS) and turn-based hotseat (TBSH). The names kind of say it all, but...

-Simultaneous hotseat games: players are playing at the same time, usually sharing a keyboard/keyboard and mouse/keyboard, mouse and gamepad,whatever. The important part is that they're all playing at the same time on the same machine.
-Turn-based hotseat games: Players are never playing at the same time. They play in turns, sometimes all using the same controls, sometimes not. Of course, they all play on the same machine.

I'm looking more for SHS games. In my opinion, turn-based are usually too slow (unless it's something really funny or unique like Worms Armageddon, but that's not freeware so I don't know why I brought it up Tongue). Nice game. I'll have to check it out.

Also just a note, I believe your link to Rampart is a link to a shareware game on a pirated site, so it's only "free" in the sense that it's pirated. And even if that particular game were free, that site in general is a site with a ton of pirated games on it, and probably shouldn't be linked to.
Shocked Really?! Oops. I had no idea. Why can't they just put up a big everything-on-here-is-illigal-so-just-go-away-banner on sites like that? Tongue Link removed.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:31:36 PM by Feliz Lombriz » Logged
Feliz Lombriz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 05:06:51 PM »

Surely we haven't run out of games already? I found a few via TIGdb that looked interesting and was wondering what the general opinions on them are:

Druid Soccer
Treasure Treasure
Push-Push Pinguin

Has anyone ever considered making separate tags for Online Multiplayer and Offline Multiplayer games on TIGSource and/or TIGdb? *Nudge nudge* It would make everything a lot easier to keep track of since you guys cover pretty much everything that comes out. Smiley

-Feliz
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »

Lord Tim already mentioned it, but used strange name for it. He also forgot to mention that it's actually one of the best multiplayer games ever!

Achtung, die Kruve! (also known as Zatacka)
- Achtung, die Kurve! is an excellent Snake/Tron-like game. Every player controls constantly moving "vehicle" that produces a solid trail. The goal of the game is to force the other players crash into a wall or trail. Instead of turning in right angles, as is typical in Snake/Tron-games, you have a large turning radius. The trails contain small holes, preventing the game from getting locked down. This means that most of the time you don't get the typical Tron-gameplay, where each player tries to survive in their own solitary, separate area. The scoring system gives you points for every opponent you beat in a round, making sure every second of survival counts. However, what makes this the perfect multiplayer game is that drawing penises in front of your enemies is a viable tactic for winning!
Year: 1995 (possibly)
Developer: Unknown
Hotseat: 2-6 Players
Platform: Windows

A failed round of Achtung, die Kurve!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:49:42 PM by Dacke » Logged

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »

"achtung, die kurve" looks like fun...  Smiley
also worth to check out:

Crimsonland 1.4
http://www.multiplay.co.uk/articles.asp?id=59

great arena shooter.
features also coop mode.

TetraBlocks
http://hem.passagen.se/nashua/tetra/

probably the best freeware tetris clone with hotseat mode.
either friendly mode (just go for score hunting)
or battle mode (attack by sending over some cleared lines)

Quadra
http://code.google.com/p/quadra/

also a very good tetris clone. hotseat, lan and internet play.
many different game modes.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:35:19 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 11:09:53 AM »

Ive been making one with 86 weapons, but havent got the file atm. will look

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 12:42:50 PM »

Ive been making one with 86 weapons, but havent got the file atm. will look

86 weapons...? pretty much...  Wink what is the name of this massive weapon arsenal game?

anyways...i took a look at your blog...
is there a playable demo for test monkey out?
oh mister maniac...i assume from the screenie that it will be oldschool run n gun fun, right?  Beer!

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »

Tank Arena!

Seriously, it's ridiculously fun. Tanks, planes, helicopters, racing cars with guns, nukes, all mixed together in glorious chaos. It even has an awesome level editor. This, Triplane Turmoil and Achtung: die Kurve is probably my favorite hotseat games ever. So many hours wasted well spent...
5parrowhawk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »

Curious: are there any co-operative hotseat multiplayer games which don't require (much) twitch reflexes? Seems like most of these are either very competitive or twitch-based.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »

Curious: are there any co-operative hotseat multiplayer games which don't require (much) twitch reflexes? Seems like most of these are either very competitive or twitch-based.
there are 2 turn based games mentioned on the first site of this thread.

scorched 3d
http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

toribash
http://www.toribash.com/

i personally recommend worms world party for awesome multiplayer fun...
which is obvuíously no freeware but maybe you will find it for a few bucks in a bargain bin. its worth it.

there are also 2 freeware games in the vein of worms out as well...

hedgewars
http://www.hedgewars.org/

wormux
http://www.wormux.org/wiki/en/index.php

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:42:14 PM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

Feliz Lombriz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »

Curious: are there any co-operative hotseat multiplayer games which don't require (much) twitch reflexes?
I prefer action games so that's generally made it onto my list. Wink All of Kaizen's recommendation's are great. Worms-type games are my favorite as far as turn-based games.
Lode Runner from my first post is also a good non-twitch game, as it's more of a puzzler than anything else. Fleeing for your life from insane, cannibalistic monks never really seems to lower the blood pressure though, so just skip the levels with the mad monks and you'll have a pretty relaxing game. Its multiplayer mode is co-op, though you can still trap your friend many various ways, so it can be as competitive as you like.

Also, I recently found a "psychedelic" Achtung, die Kurve clone with pretty graphics and a few other features. Looks pretty neat.
PsyKurve

I've never found Wormux that spectacular... but Hedgewars! Wow! How have I never heard of Hedgewars? It's like Worms without the pricetag! Grin The little hedgehogs aren't nearly as cute as the original worms, but other than that, an incredible game and very faithful clone in style and gameplay.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »

Project Hotseat by JW.

You can find it over at The Poppenkast.

The artist formally known as "Javet."
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 03:08:00 AM »

SnakeMe
http://wh.ysagoon.com/snakeme/download.html
2MB (Win, Linux, Mac)

a fine mulitplayer snake game. up to 4 human players (2x keyboard, 2x gamepad) and 4 computer controlled snakes. default speed is 12 fps...up to 30 fps for more frantic action. moreover different level sets, backgrounds, customizable controls, level editor and some other stuff to customize in the advanced setup.

i highly recommend to change the background to roc or another color. cause the default background is blue and when you respawn you cant nearly see whee you are becuase of your blue respawn circle.

there is no fullscreen option in the menu...
but you can play in fullscreen when you do this:

1.)right click on the "snakeme.exe"->"create shortcut"
2.)right click on the new created "shortcut to snakeme.exe"->"properties"
3.)type in -full after the "...\snakeme.exe"
it should look like this ...\SnakeMe\SnakeMe.exe" -full
(dont forget to add a space before the -full.)
4.)start snakeme with the shortcut. enjoy!  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:16:13 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

Feliz Lombriz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 05:03:56 PM »

I just looked at this again and SnakeMe reminded me of a game I couldn't believe I'd forgotten to post before:

Heroes

(Click images to embiggen)

-Official page
-SourceForge project page

Download: Heroes 0.21 (Win)
-Heroes is also available for Linux and a few other Unix-type OSes

Mini-review: I hate snake games (Sorry, Kaizen. Tongue) almost without exception. And Heroes would be the exception. Author quote: "Heroes is similar to the 'Tron' and 'Nibbles' games of yore, but includes many graphical improvements and new game features." By improvements he means hotseat multiplayer, deathmatch mode, crazy powerups, nifty graphics, and lots of huge explosions. What's not to like? Grin

The bottom line: If you like snake/nibbles/Tron games you'll love this. If you don't like snake/nibbles/Tron games... you'll probably still like it. Wink
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 05:10:11 PM by Feliz Lombriz » Logged
PaleFox
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 06:19:49 PM »

Lode Runner Online was released for free, I believe, and it's the updated version of one of the best Lode Runner iterations: http://www.daggert.net/Folio/Programming/Presage/LodeRunner/Loderunner1.htm

I remember it well from when I was younger Smiley .
Feliz Lombriz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 09:28:24 PM »

Well, it's been 4 years... reviving this thread with the purpose of filling in the gap. I haven't played anything for ages and I've probably missed some good ones. Fill me in. Smiley

-0space is great. Go Teknopants! Smiley

3 to look forward to:
-Samurai Gunn (Coming this Christmas)

-Tower Fall (...look forward to for PC, I mean. Port coming "early 2014") - Ah, hang on. This one isn't going to be freeware. Ah whatever.

-Nidhogg (Honestly, I kinda doubt Messhof will ever let this one go. "Eventual release" my foot.)
antoniodamala
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »

YES GREAT LIST
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 04:45:10 AM »

@Feliz Lombriz
Nidhogg releases this year. With online play!
Feliz Lombriz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 05:23:29 AM »

@Feliz Lombriz
Nidhogg releases this year. With online play!

Dude! That's great! I'm quite happy to be wrong. Smiley
Loop Gain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »

-Nidhogg (Honestly, I kinda doubt Messhof will ever let this one go. "Eventual release" my foot.)

The free Nidhogg clone Eggnogg is an excellent substitute. It's a lot of fun with two controllers*, a large television, and some friends.

* You can use a keyboard, but ghosting might be an issue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic