Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:26:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingUntitled Exploration/Action Platformer
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Untitled Exploration/Action Platformer  (Read 11883 times)
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 07:46:44 PM »

sometimes, feedback is bad feedback.

Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 07:54:23 PM »

I wouldn't mind you being constructive, or at least understanding when i tell you that this is not at _all_ what the environment of the game will look like when finished, but you really wanted to defend yourself on a point that held no merit. In any case, we should probably douse this flame. I'll post again when there is actually a substantial amount of work done, probably towards the first boss.

and also:
[...] Give us something to play as soon as you can! Smiley [...]

I'll try and get a tech demo together, perhaps, but I think that releasing demo before the game is done would sort of rob from the experience of playing for the first time when it's finished.
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »

Do you possibly have an example of the style you want to use eventually?
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 10:01:30 PM »

No harm in posting early progresson projects, although admiteddly some people can get the wrong impression about what it will be about.

No big deal.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 10:10:42 PM »

In any case, we should probably douse this flame. I'll post again when there is actually a substantial amount of work done, probably towards the first boss.

I just want to say... that's a good attitude!  Obviously the game is in a very early stage, so it's hard to argue either way.  I'm looking forward to seeing something more complete.
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 05:04:33 AM »

Everyone here loves knytt right, so whats wrong with someone creating a game a tad like knytt. Suppose knytt created a new genre of somekind, a game focused entirely on exploration and not so much on the challenge. I would find it great if games took up on this new genre, and when one dares to, you blame him for doing so. This is just my opinion and I expect good, constructive feedback for this guy, and I hope he creates a great game, which he will. Good luck on this project, don't mind others calling your game a ripoff, I believe in this project. Don't let me down
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 05:08:11 AM »

When do you think you'll have something finished enough to show us the game?

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 06:29:54 AM »

ok, i dont want a flame war either.
all im saying is that feedback isnt necesairly good feedback.
i didnt like what i saw and i said so, i suggested you remedy some things and pointed out why you should.
if you're going to pôst something in here you gotta expect any kind of feedback.
this isnt the praise forum.

most of the posters here are waaaaay too nice and afraid to say what they think.
i see the worst-looking game ever and everybody is wearing their white gloves, terrified they might hurt the poor guy's feeling. while im all for constructive critisism, sometimes people go "this sucks" because sometimes it sucks.

im sure you have a lot of ideas that will differenciate your game from niffla's.
go poke fun at my game and we'll be square.

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »

Haha, I want a praise forum to exist! :D

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 06:37:03 AM »

Ahhh yes, of course. Almost all the graphics in the screenshots are somewhat place-holder-y, I will put in actual effort once the engine is done, worry not.

Sweet! It'll be interesting to see the new art...keep up the good work Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 07:09:51 AM »

Haha, I want a praise forum to exist! :D
Ha ha! :D

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 09:02:14 AM »

ok, i dont want a flame war either.
all im saying is that feedback isnt necesairly good feedback.
i didnt like what i saw and i said so, i suggested you remedy some things and pointed out why you should.
if you're going to pôst something in here you gotta expect any kind of feedback.
this isnt the praise forum.

most of the posters here are waaaaay too nice and afraid to say what they think.
i see the worst-looking game ever and everybody is wearing their white gloves, terrified they might hurt the poor guy's feeling. while im all for constructive critisism, sometimes people go "this sucks" because sometimes it sucks.

Yes, but even if the game sucks, just making fun of the game is no way to help them. It is better to tell them where their faults are and how they can improve them. This isn't the completely trash everyone's game forum either. But I think everyone here has done a good job at giving constructive critisism. Nobody said it sucked, they just said it resembles knytt. If you want constructive critisism you have to be able to handle some things you might not want to hear.

So, you know, if you're going to compare just it's visual style, perhaps wait until i start doing the artwork that will actually be used in the game.

I also find it strange that you posted up screenshots and then tell us that it is going to look completely different. What do you want feedback for, what it is going to look like? We have no idea what its going to look like. We can only give you feedback on the images that you provided. If you didn't want feedback on them, you shouldn't have posted them yet.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 09:25:50 AM »

I feel like this thread is going nowhere...

We have a three page long thread with a couple of unrepresentative screenshots and one sentence explaining a game concept. Too much talk for very little while other threads are suffering from a lack of replies, even when featuring full games.

So, I say let's ALL wait for Stewlin to show us something new and THEN continue to talk about this project. Any feedback given right now will not be representative of the actual game so we'd simply be waisting our time.

Later!

Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2007, 09:26:56 AM »

Some progress, still needs work, but the engine is complete for the most part, coding slopes is a bitch, but I sussed it out.

concept art for fun Tongue
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 09:31:42 AM »

Looks spectacular! And I love the concept art too!

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 11:07:21 AM »

I was sort of expecting this to be low-res :< Well looks great anyway :)Good luck on this one, you're doing great. You have my support and one thousand internets to help you on the way
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2007, 11:25:25 AM »

concept art for fun Tongue

zomg, mickey mouse. (jk jk jk)
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2007, 02:49:09 PM »

That looks freakin sweet. Keep it up. Looking forward to this one.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2007, 03:37:07 PM »

The cape and character colour reminds me of nibbler from futurama.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 09:27:20 AM »

Ah! I knew some extra screenshots would change the view of the game! Smiley What's that in the castle? A death count? That would be so funny! :D

Anyway, post a demo when you have one!
Later!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic